Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

First crack at the goal today - wound up with a 17:17.  Not thrilled, but not too disappointed either.

Now to see what 18 weeks worth of Jack Daniels will do to that time....

Highlights of the week:

12x400 @ 76 secs w/ 400m recovery

40 minute tempo

race

hill sprints & form drills

96k total

Next race: Acura 5k (July 19) Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!
    Hannibal Granite

I'm in for this goal, ran 17:45 today coming off injury

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

mikeymike

Training week 5/18:

65 mles,

Workouts:

1.) 12.8 mile run with 8 x 2 minutes on / 1 minute off and 4 x 20 seconds all out,

2.) 5k race in 17:27 (10th)

17:27 yesterday was right around where I thought I'd be.  I knew getting to this point would be relatively easy.  It's a little daunting to think about another 30 seconds but I think its doable.

Runners run

Nice racing over the weekend chgraham, Hannibal, and Mikey.  Sounds like everyone is right about where they expect to be right now.

My week of 5/18-24:

Total - 36.5 miles over 6 days of running

Workouts - all easy miles

One of the things I'm working on this time around is cutting down the off days, so only 1 day off during the week is good for me.  Next week I'll start adding a quality workout or 2.  I'll start with a 20 minute tempo run, and possibly a hill session.

Planning a local 5k this Saturday, so that will give me a feel for how far out of shape I am.  I'm expecting something around 18:30 - we'll see.

Running Boston in memory of my son.  Want to help?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Goals:

1. Run Boston for Matthew (< 2:40 if possible)
          2. Run 5k < 16:00
          3. Hold off father time for at least another year
            Nice races by everyone.  I think there will be a few sub-17s by summer's end.

Week of 5/18-5/24

64 miles (again in 6 days, damn the long Monday)

Key workout:

1. Wednesday: 3xmile intervals, got kicked off the track by the lacrosse team after one, wasn't my best workout.

I backed off this week after Wednesday, I got a bit scared of running myself into the ground.  I plan on racing this Sunday, trying to get an idea of how I'm coming along.

khardrunner

Mainly a lurker here but I'm curious to see what you guys think my chances are at a race I have next weekend.

Some history:

Runner through college and HS with a PR of 15:45 (not a good race)

26 now and coaching

ran 2 5ks in the last year with only about 20 mpw and no workouts in 17:27 and 17:25 (3 degrees outside)

Ran a fairly easy 4:50 solo mile about a month ago

Gotten some tempo and a bit of track work in over the last 6 weeks

I've been running more consistantly since I've not been hurt, but still only in the 25-30 mpw range (usually around 6:40 pace). So, given good weather and a fair course, can I run the sub 17? I've gotta beat my HS kids!

Why is it sideways?

How much more time do you have? I think it all depends on whether or not you've been doing 5k-pace interval work, like 6x800, etc. Youve probably got a decent base left over from your college training. When I was 26, I could go out and come close to my college PR's off of 30-40mpw.

Only one way to find out!

Of course the more interesting question is whether you can break 15:00 off of 80 mpw, than if you can break 17 off of 20.

joescott

So, given good weather and a fair course, can I run the sub 17? I've gotta beat my HS kids!

From what information you have provided I would say *well* within your reach -- especially if, as you indicated, you found that 4:50 to be pretty easy.  Good luck.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

khardrunner

Yeah thanks.

Breaking 15 is one of my goals. Due to some stupidity on my part and unavoidable issues I haven't really been able to put in the same good mileage. I felt like I was in low 15's shape when I ran the 15:45, but I really have only raced that 1 track 5k ever.

I gotta get a solid year of good mileage in again before I consider that though. 80mpw is very doable, and I've been as high as 70 last summer. It's nothing compared to college though...90+ week after week there.

Anyway, we'll see!

khardrunner

Update:

Did a 6x800 workout today in the park. It felt controlled though it was a bit windy. Never really "hurt" a lot, but they will still pretty tough for #4 and #6. Pretty much the same amount of rest as interval. I know it was a lot of rest, but I think I stand a decent chance at sub 17 next weekend.

2:40

2:39

2:39

Ran my first race since Thanksgiving - a relatively small, certified 5k.  Wasn't entirely sure what to expect  as this round of training only started May 1st, and I've just been trying to ramp up with some slow miles.  Was thinking somewhere around 18:20 - 18:30. 

Was pleasantly surprised to run 18:00 (although my watch had 17:58 - I was also 18:00 at this race last year - weird).  Splits were 5:53 for mile 1, 6:00 for mile 2, 6:04 (5:31 pace) for the last 1.1.  I guess I was a little too conservative over the middle of the race, but was afraid I would run out of gas if I pushed too early.  First race of the season is always a little hard to judge.

I'm happy with this based on my training, so hopefully I can drop another minute off the time with some consistent mileage over the next several months.

Running Boston in memory of my son.  Want to help?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Goals:

1. Run Boston for Matthew (< 2:40 if possible)
                        2. Run 5k < 16:00
                        3. Hold off father time for at least another year
                          Nice job for a first race of the year negative.  Those first tries are always interesting in terms of figuring out pacing.

Good, tough week for me training-wise

Highlights:

1 set of 200s & 400s with full recovery (12 200s, 6 400s)

1 set of 6 mile repeats at tempo pace

1 fartlek

plus the usual hill sprints & form drills

Glad it's a rest day today.

Next race: Acura 5k (July 19) Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!
                          joescott

I am very pleased to be at the end of May and have made such progress in 1 month.  Dropped over 15 lbs., increased mileage from around 3 miles per day up to 8 this morning.  Still I don’t think my knee will let me do anything too hard or fast, although it is standing up well to the daily “normal” runs.  Hope to be able to establish a solid base of 40-50 mpw in June and maybe start to fold in some speed work by the last couple of weeks.  Then maybe I will test myself at a local Independence Day 5k and see what I’ve got.  I think I should be happy with anything under 19 for now.

Btw, Coach Hbrook, you are looking strong.  I think you won’t be on this thread for very much longer. 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Week of 5/25-5/31

~63 miles

Key Workouts:

1. Wednesday: 11.5 mile "easy tempo" with 8 or 9 (lost count) one minute pick-ups to race pace with 4-5 minutes recovery

2. Sunday: 5k race.  17:19 for second overall.  Mile splits were 5:13, 5:30, 5:55, and then 41 seconds for the last bit.  My inability to pace myself came back to punch me in the dick again.  I'm going to hold back in the first mile next race if I have to wear a damn weight vest to do it.

mikeymike

Training week 5/25:

59 miles in 6 runs.

Key workouts:

1.) 11.8 miles steady

2.) 15 miles with lots of hills.

Crappy week overall due to some work travel.  More travel this week but only Mon-Tue so hopefully I can hold it together a little better and get in some quality.

Runners run