Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

Training week 5/25 - 5/31:

35 total miles in 6 runs

All easy miles except for a 5k race for a fitness check

Still working on getting something of a mileage base.  Ran a local 5k Saturday and did better than expected with an 18:00.  Had run 7miles at 11 pm the night before, so really wasn't counting on too much.

This week is still mostly easy miles, but I'm planning on throwing a 20 min tempo in towards the end of the week.

Running Boston in memory of my son.  Want to help?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Goals:

1. Run Boston for Matthew (< 2:40 if possible)
    2. Run 5k < 16:00
    3. Hold off father time for at least another year

First try at sub 17 5K today on a wet, cold day.  Been running a year and have had some real good training for the last 12 weeks.

Ended up with 16:50, good enough for 1st age Group and 3rd Overall.  Got beat by two college runners, but I dont even really care broke the 17 mark on my first try.

2010 Goals 3000 Miles 1/2 Marathon-Sub 1:20:00 Marathon-Sub 3:00
      khardrunner

Nice work!

Ran that 5k yesterday. The weather was nice, but I couldn't find a pace on the first mile to save my life. The course was hilly with a 200m steep hill in the first mile, a 600m gradual hill at the begining of mile 3, and a 350 meter hill near the end of mile 3. Yeah, mile 3 was tough!

Ran 5:44, 5:24, and 5:45 (1.1mile = 5:13 pace). One of my HS kids was RIGHT on my butt the whole race and I couldn't shake him until the last hill. He's tough!

16:51 or so at the end.

joescott

16:51 or so at the end.

Nice job.  You did it and that didn't take long!  Time for a loftier goal, coach!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Congrats hubbardsw and Coach Hbrook.

I feel like I'm going backwards, or at best just mainaining.  Got in 62 miles this week with no great workouts: 1.) 11.8 mi with a 4 mile tempo on Thursday and 2.) 12.8 mi yesterday at an easy pace with one mile thrown in at the end in 5:41 just to make sure I still could.

I need my real life to settle down so I can string together a few decent weeks of solid training and take a real shot at this thing, but I'm not sure real life is ready to cooperate.  We'll see.

Runners run

Mike,

I know how you feel, I got lucky and got some great training in before the race, but the actually week of the race and the last few days have killed training. I moved from Hawaii to Arizona, then visited family in RI and New York, so I have been barely able to eat right or run. Luckily this is a down week, before marathon segment for Oct Marathon. I have a great base so I'm ready to get a sub 3 and maybe sub 16:30 5k next.  Good Luck, you will get your 5K time easily.

khardrunner

Yeah it came back faster than I thought. I think I can get in some good training this summer (I'm a teacher), and we'll see where we are at in the fall.

If I can keep the training up through the winter as well with no injuries, maybe we can start a sub 15 thread!

Nice races hubbardsw and Coach Hbrook!

Good training week last week -

103k total

2 sets of intervals (4x200, 2x400; 1x800; 2x400; 4x200) and 6x1000

1 3x12 minute tempo run

Unfortunately, my daughter has given me a cold, so this week won't be great - I decided to sleep in this morning rather than run. 

The plus side to that is that it likely means more of a taper than I'd planned before I race again this weekend.  I get to pace-bunny my daughter in a 5k on Saturday and race one for myself on Sunday.  I'm anxious to see what the past month of speedwork will do for me.

Next race: Acura 5k (July 19) Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!
                    Nice races to both of you sub-17 guys.  Sub-16 right around the corner?

Week of 6/1-6/7

61 miles

Key Workouts:

1. 11.5 mile fartlek (6 intervals of 3 on/3 off at 5k pace)

2. "Marathon pace" 10 miler (accidental, I ended up hammering a run after my rest day, but it felt good)

A sub-16 is on the list of things to do, but it will have to wait until late in the year or early next.  Up next(as of today) is marathon training for the Marine Corps Marathon and a sub-3 at that.
                        Nice work hubbardsw and coach hbrook. 

Hubbardsw, your mileage and results for one year of running are very impressive.  Seems like you have a lot of talent and are willing to put in the work - a good combination.  I'm sure you'll be going a long ways under 3 hrs in your marathon. 

Coach, you obviously still have the talent, if you can get the consistent miles in you'll need to start that sub-15 thread - it'll likely be a lonely thread, though, as that is pretty darn fast.

2014 Goals:

Been busy this week so haven't posted last week's training yet.  I'm forcing myself to post so that I feel the peer pressure to keep me consistent.  So here it is:

Training week 5/1 - 5/7:

31 total miles in 5 days of running

20 min tempo at 6:15 pace on Sat.  All the rest easy miles.

Took an unplanned day off on Sunday.  Was going to head out that night, but had issues getting my son to bed.  I'm moving most of my training to the morning to avoid these issues in the future.  If I don't run before work the chances of missing the day go up significantly.

Have a 5 mile race (it's actually a little short) scheduled for Saturday.  Just going to run by feel and see where my time ends up.

Good luck with the next attempt this weekend chgraham!

2014 Goals:

khardrunner

Thanks Split. I'd love to see how that ends up.

As for your race, I'd just tempo the first two (6 min pace or so) then hammer the last 3 in a sort of 5k simulation. That would work as a nice workout, plus it will eliminate the death march of going out too fast. It will be nice to be passing people like crazy all race as well!

Week of 6/8-6/14

~65 miles (no run Wednesday due to work schedule)

Key Workouts:

1. Monday: 11.5 mile tempo, 3 minutes on/3 minutes off with the hard portions at 5k pace

2. Thursday: 16x200 meters at approximately mile pace.  Not sure why, I just felt like going fast.

3. Saturday: 13.1 miles moderate

This week I plan on taking it easier midweek, and then racing a 5k Saturday.  Hoping to run at least under 17:10, perhaps sub-17:00 if conditions are right and I pace myself well.

Week of 6/8:

67 miles.

Key workouts:

1.) 10 with 10 x 1 min on / 1 min off (69 minutes)

2.) 10.7 with 6-mile tempo and 4 x 30 second hill charges (73 minutes)

3.) Hilly 15-miler in the rain.

Overall I'm happy with the week--starting to feel like a high-aerobic animal.  I had hoped to race a 5-miler or 5k, but never could fit one in.  I may not get a chance to race now before a 4-miler on the 4th of July but we'll see.  I may try to sneak in a 5k before that.

Runners run