Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

Last week:

Raced, but it turns out the course was short - maybe 200m.  I ran a 16:21 for whatever the distance was, and my Garmin showed a 3:22/km pace, which is sub-17:00, but that doesn't count for anything.

The race itself felt pretty good - had to really concentrate on holding/pushing the pace for the 3rd and 4th km, and I think I succeeded.  

If nothing else, it's a confidence booster before I race next month - on a course that is certified.

As for the week in training 

70k (no long run, one sick day)

One set of 200s and 800s at mile pace with full recovery

One long (40 minute) tempo run

Next race: Acura 5k (July 19) Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!
      Sounds like you are on target chgraham.  I hate courses that aren't the distance they are advertised at.  At least you got a good workout in and got some practice at keeping the pace up through the middle of the race.

I ran a poorly measured "5 miler" myself this week.  I knew going in that the distance was short  as I've run it before.  Last time I ran it I broke my high school mile PR with a 4:30 for mile 4 - ok, that mile may have been a bit short - actually, more than a bit.  This time they had kept the course the same, but pushed back the mile 4 marker, so instead of having just the 4th mile be short, now the 4th and 5th miles were short.  I turned in a 28:48 for what I figure is 4.9ish miles - my last 2 "miles" were 5:27 and 5:20 and I'm sure I was much closer to 6 min miles than 5:30's.  But hey, I knew it was short going in, and it was a fun event for the family with a moon bounce and horse rides, so no worries.

Running Boston in memory of my son.  Want to help?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Goals:

1. Run Boston for Matthew (< 2:40 if possible)
      2. Run 5k < 16:00
      3. Hold off father time for at least another year
        Training week 6/8-6/14:

42 total miles in 7 runs

All easy miles except for an almost 5 mile race

Managed to get out every day last week and some niggling ankle soreness started fading a bit, so I'm happy with the week. 

This week and next week are going to be a bit of a challenge as I'm heading on vacation which will include several long overnight drives.  We're headed to the middle of nowhere as well, and the area doesn't make for great running. 

2014 Goals:

Seeker

Hello guys,

I'm planning on doing a 5k time trial sometime in the next 3 weeks.

I wondering what you guys think my chances of going under 17 are.

Ideally I'd like to get 16:40, but I realize this probably isn't realistic.

I think I've managed to make my log public, so you can see what I've been doing.

I've made a lot of progress in the past month I think Smile

Hello guys,

I think I've managed to make my log public, so you can see what I've been doing.

Based on your 1k interval times, you've got a good shot at sub-17:00.  How'd you feel after those: completely wiped, or like you could handle one or two more if you had to?

How come you're planning on a time trial rather than a race though?  You're much more likely to do well in a race (where you've got a certified course) than on your own.

Next race: Acura 5k (July 19) Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!
              Hello guys,

I think the big question is how you feel after those interval sessions and tempo workouts.  You are doing the intervals faster than the tempo runs when comparing generally accepted training paces (e.g. McMillan calculator), which makes me think you may be hammering those. 

Another question is how long you've been running.  If it's only 4 weeks, then you're probably not quite there yet.  My guess is on a time trial you'd be more around 17:30.  In a race, maybe 17:20ish?

Regardless, it looks like you are doing quite well, and if you keep the training up, I'm sure you'll get there.

2014 Goals:

joescott

Last week I *finally* started introducing some harder running into the mix with a 2-mile pick-up as part of a 7-1/2 mile run.  This morning I did a thorough warm-up and then a track time trial 5k that went (a little) under 20:00.  I'm happy with this all things considered.  Knee was good after warming up, but getting back my cardio capacity is going to take a little while, I think.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Seeker

Based on your 1k interval times, you've got a good shot at sub-17:00.  How'd you feel after those: completely wiped, or like you could handle one or two more if you had to?

How come you're planning on a time trial rather than a race though?  You're much more likely to do well in a race (where you've got a certified course) than on your own.

I think I could probably do 1 more, next week I'm planning to try to do 5 instead of 4.

I can't find any races coming up soon in my area to do, so I think I'm going to have to do a time trial, which I agree I probably won't do as well in.

I think the big question is how you feel after those interval sessions and tempo workouts.  You are doing the intervals faster than the tempo runs when comparing generally accepted training paces (e.g. McMillan calculator), which makes me think you may be hammering those. 

Another question is how long you've been running.  If it's only 4 weeks, then you're probably not quite there yet.  My guess is on a time trial you'd be more around 17:30.  In a race, maybe 17:20ish?

Regardless, it looks like you are doing quite well, and if you keep the training up, I'm sure you'll get there.

No, I've been running for a few years, however I think I lost a lot of fitness last winter due to poor training.

A little over a month ago I ran a 4:57 mile, then I took a week easy and starting training again with the goal of increasing my mileage, and hopefully lowering my 5k-10k times.  I wish I could have done these workouts in my first month as a runner Wink

I think I could probably do 1 more, next week I'm planning to try to do 5 instead of 4.

Based on the "could probably do 1 more", I'd say that trying for a sub-17:00 is pushing it.  If you maintained a 5:24 pace for the entire race, you'd be at 16:45.  If you're pushing your intervals hard enough that you are 1 interval from failure, keeping the same pace without rest would be a feat.  

Since it's a time trial, and you'll likely be able to keep splits, why not go out at a 17:30 or so pace and see how you feel?  If this ends up feeling easy, schedule another time trial or race for a couple weeks out.  No use getting injured or frustrated on your first 5K in a while.

mikeymike

It's really hard to predict race times from workouts.  One thing we know, Seeker, is you've got the speed for it no problem.  The question is whether you've got the endurance and stamina for it.  You're mileage isn't super high, and you don't have any recent races to look to so it's tough to say if you're ready.  But I'd say it's a matter of when, not if, you'll go sub 17.

Runners run

Seeker

I meant I think I should start doing 1 more each week, not that I think if I did one more I'd be falling over and going to sleep :P
                        joescott

I was very happy to put up a 39:52 10k this morning on a not-easy-but-also-not-too-hard course.  This was my first race of any kind since my ACL surgery back in February, and although I have a long way to go to get to sub-17 condition, I was very happy with the race for where I have come from the last few months. 

- Joe

mikeymike

Week of 6/15 training:

70 miles

Key workouts:

1.)  11+ including 8 x 800 @ 10k / jog 200 and then 2 x 200 "all out" (planned 4 x 200s but had some minor hip pain and decided to end it after the 2nd one.)

2.)  17 mile progression run.

I also did 6 x strides twice (Tues and Fri) and 5 x hill charges during an easy 7 miler on Sat.

Feeling good.  I might do a 5k pace workout this week, or race a midweek 5k if time permits.  I'm definitely racing a 4-miler on July 4th and making a bona fide sub-17 attempt on July 12.

Runners run

mikeymike

Nice race, Joe.  Solid effort for first race post-ACL.

Runners run

joescott

Nice race, Joe.  Solid effort for first race post-ACL.

Thanks, man, I appreciate it.  Looks like you are working really hard & setting yourself up for a good opporunity on the 12th.  Best of luck; I'll be watching your posts.

- Joe