Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

16:47 this morning on the same course where I ran 18:07 last year.
    joescott

*Excellent* run, sir!  You have inspired me today.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

*Excellent* run, sir!  You have inspired me today.

Thanks Joe, I've gotta credit the increased mileage almost entirely.  Looks like your doing pretty well since the April comback...best of luck.

Congrats pfetro, well done.

My traning week for 6/22:

69 miles

Workouts:

1.) 11 mi including 5 x 1000m @ 5k pace / 400 jog (3:21.7, 3:23.2, 3:24.6, 3:23.8, 3:22.0)

2.) 15 mile progression run.

Planning to race a 4 miler on Saturday the 4th.

Runners run

flovesparko

Pfetro, that is incredible progress. Grea Job!

I've done two 5K's in the last two weeks, 17:48 last week and yesterday I PR with a 17:36.  Still hoping to get down to 17:20 soon. 

Congrats pfetro, well done.

My traning week for 6/22:

69 miles

Workouts:

1.) 11 mi including 5 x 1000m @ 5k pace / 400 jog (3:21.7, 3:23.2, 3:24.6, 3:23.8, 3:22.0)

2.) 15 mile progression run.

Planning to race a 4 miler on Saturday the 4th.

Mikey, is that close to the best you've done on the 1k?  that's getting pretty serious.

And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
                Great job pfetro!

I forgot to post last week 

2 weeks ago: 85k total

One 12x400 w/ 400 recovery jogs at mile pace

One set of tempo intervals (as I like to call them): 15 min, 10 min, 5 min

Past week:

mid-training demotivation set in - pretty weak overall:

72k total

One decent workout: 200s and 800s at mile pace, except I couldn't hit the 800's at the pace I was aiming for.

After today, I have a semi-enforced rest week, as my wife is going to be away for a week, and I don't have anyone to watch the kid for me.  I may find some creative ways of sneaking in some runs though.

Next race: Acura 5k (July 19) Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

Mikey, is that close to the best you've done on the 1k?  that's getting pretty serious.

I guess Mikey 5K PR is about to come down big time. 

I just wish I can do 1K repeats at close to my 5K pace, I can just about do 6-7 X  400's at my 5K pace.   And lately probably not even that, life is interfering too much with running (more specificaly those darned swim meets).

I just wish I can do 1K repeats at close to my 5K pace

me too!

And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I just wish I can do 1K repeats at close to my 5K pace,

Tiny bit confused here.  If you can run 5 consecutive 1k's without a break in a 5k race, why can't you do 1k repeats at 5k pace?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Tiny bit confused here.  If you can run 5 consecutive 1k's without a break in a 5k race, why can't you do 1k repeats at 5k pace?

Nice try, now GETM

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

No way.  Give 'em back.  That was a serious question. 

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

OK, you can have them back. 

Race day magic.  Explain how you can run a  half marathon faster than your normal 4-5 mile tempo runs. 

I can't consistently hit them during training.  It was easier when the physical constraint was aerobic or anaerobic.   One can fight through that.    Trying to get the legs to simply turn over that fast is harder and seems to be based on the day.  Some days yes, other days, just not happening.   Maybe other people can do it, I cannot.

Maybe other people can do it, I cannot.

Get your priorities in order. YES YOU CAN!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka