Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

This is one of my goals for the year, too.  My first serious attempt at under 17 will be on 6/6.  Good luck!

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

mikeymike

4/12 -- 71 miles in 8 runs.

workouts:

1) 2 x 15 min @ tempo 3 min recovery

2) 4 x 90 second hill repeats with 3-4 minute recoveries

3) 14 mile fast-finish long run

roots, I have 2 target races 6 weeks apart on May 30th and July 11th and there are plenty of options for other 5k's in between those.  So I have about 6 weeks until "opening day" of my 5k season.

Runners run

mikeymike

4/19 -- 58 miles in 6 runs.

workouts:

1) 4 x 5 min @ 5k-10k / 3 min jogs,

2) 16 x 200m @ 3k / jog 200,

3) 15 mile long run, coughing up a lung.

I was sick from Tuesday night on.  Is still, perhaps stupidly, did the 200s on Thursday night in a cold rain.  Then took Friday completely off.  Yesterday's long run I felt out of breath the whole time but I got it done.

Yuck.

Moving on.

Runners run

flovesparko

Hey Mikeymike, keep the posts coming,  I was hoping to go for the goal after Boston but I'm taking four weeks off due to my painful heel injury.  Good luck.

Roots, I thought I was light years away last year from going sub 17 and I got close 17:10.    I had a friend go 16:58 in my last attempt in the fall, I beat him the previos week in a race by 10 seconds.  It just wasn't my  day and it was his day.  I know I'm close.  We have very similar PR's, you may just need to focus on the shorter stuff like Mikey.

Mikey, your training looks oddly familiar.  Are you trying to grow some Younger Legs?

mikeymike

Mikey, your training looks oddly familiar.  Are you trying to grow some Younger Legs?

Well I'm over 40 now so it's worth a shot, right?

Runners run

I was more referring to Pete Magill's Younger Legs for Older Runners 5k training program...
                mikeymike

Yes, I know.  And, yes, it's pretty much Pete's 5k training that I'm following.  This morning's workout was fun with a lingering chest cold.

Runners run

xor

You're old.

Im trying to do Pete's program too, but Im a few weeks behind you.  5x3min today.
                      mikeymike

You're old.

Dude can I tell you?  I did like 3 hours of yardwork on Saturday and could barely move on Sunday.  Well, by barely move I mean I was able to run 15 miles but needed help putting my socks on.

Runners run

The King of Beasts

Yes, I know.  And, yes, it's pretty much Pete's 5k training that I'm following.  This morning's workout was fun with a lingering chest cold.

16 400's- thats nasty.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

mikeymike

16 400's- thats nasty.

It actually wasn't bad.  They weren't super fast, btw 5k-10k effort with a 100 jog.  They would have been fine but I got distracted on like the 6th one by a guy who wanted to chat during my 100 jog and into the start of the next 400, so I ran that one too fast off a too fast recovery putting me in a little oxygen debt for like the next 4.

I think with a few tries, and without a chest cold, I could do this workout with perfect 84/40 repetition and jog right out of it and keep going.  Maybe 82/40 if I did it in the afternoon.  It's one of those controlling the effort type workouts.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

OK - this copied across from another forum where I just posted it on the kind advice of MrPHinNJ.

This, my musings (hopefully with some suggestions from others!) on achieving a sub-17 minute 5k. I have a good general level of running fitness (I have been running "seriously" for about 5 years), but have generally only averaged 20-30k per week. I'm aiming for a sub-17 minute 5k in July 2010.

Rather than following complex training programmes, I'm trying a "fire and ice" approach. In other words, I'm running one 5k race at the weekend as hard as I can, and then trying to fit in as many long slow runs as I can (typically about 2 hours+ at 05:30 - 06:00 km pace). This has upped my weekly mileage for last two weeks from 30k, to 70k.

The last four weeks of 5k runs have been 19:11, 18:48, 18:52 and 18:36. So it's coming down, but I only have about 8 weeks to go.

Next weekend I'm doing the Edinburgh Marathon (plan to run at less than 85% MHR throughout, so I don't do too much damage...)

Thoughts, anybody?