Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

HotSoup

Thanks for your thoughts. I've not put myself back into a 5k race for nearly a month now (famliy weekends away...), so I'm unsure of progress. I take your point about the different types of training, but do start to wonder about "empty miles". Today (for example) I ran home (jumped off the train half way from a visit to "Kent"), running 19km. But it was hot, I was tired - too much happening this week, probably a bit dehydrated, and I'm running at MHR 77%, and only banging out 5:36kms. Not great. But I've managed about 30 miles a week over the past five weeks (sorry for the imperial/metric bit - miles/week relates, but I like my km pace!!) so I suppose that helps. Burning around 4,500 extra calories also results in weight loss. So ignoring the weight loss and extra miles () I'm sure it's my fire and ice training that's working!!

My "big race" (the fast 5.6km taget) is July 8th (I think). And next week I'm off to the Glastonbury Festival. So that's a complete write-off!! When hiding in the tent, I'll work on my core strength! Must try not the put my back out doing this (Bono - take note!)

Anyway, look at the profile - what time to do reckon I can achieve for the 5.6km? Last year, 20:23 (or there abouts - I remember seeing 18:04 for 5k (PB) , but it's late, memory fading). I want significantly sub-20. Time, as they say, will tell.

I'm not dead yet...

I ran 17:08 on Sunday.  That's as close as I've been since July of 2004.

We'll see.

Runners run

Right on Hereford...

Nice work, Mike!
        ltsd

Well done Mikey.

... and hello everybody else. I am a long-time lurker, so thought it about time I made my first post. Well done to all those who have made sub 17 and thank you for all the inspirational and informative posts.

Coincidentally, I also ran 17.08 in my last 5K race in July which was a PB. This was at our monthly club 5k time trial which is on a pretty hilly road route.

Having got down to 17.27 within 6 months of taking up running I have spent the last 3 years trying to break 17 mins.

I have another 5K race tonight so will be going for the big 16.XX. 

A couple of weeks ago I did a training run on a point-to-point route I had devised which runs slightly downhill for most of the way... I managed 16.55, so that at least gives me the confidence that I have a sub 17 in me.

I'm not dead yet...

I ran 17:08 on Sunday.  That's as close as I've been since July of 2004.

We'll see.

Mikey,

Great job!  Would have done that race, but I've been taking it easy after 5 straight weekends of races.  Are you doing Beach to Beacon?  It would be nice to race with someone of similar ability!

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

Mikey,

Great job!  Would have done that race, but I've been taking it easy after 5 straight weekends of races.  Are you doing Beach to Beacon?  It would be nice to race with someone of similar ability!

Bummer, you missed a perfect day to race.  It almost felt like fall on Sunday morning, and that's a fast course.

Not doing Beach to Beacon--heading to Cape Cod for a week starting Saturday.  My next race looks like it will be Saunders at Rye Harbor 10k on Aug 19th.  I've never run it before but I hear it's a really good race.  It's on a weeknight, which presents challenges but has its benefits too.

Runners run

ltsd

OK - update on today's race...

Forgot my watch so no splits I'm afraid.

Set off with the lead group of 6 which went off at a good pace. We then separated into 2 groups of 3 by the end of the first lap (of 2).

I hung on in at the back of the 2nd group knowing that the other 2 runners were looking to break 17 mins as well. Really started feeling the pain about half way round the 2nd lap with about 2k to go. The final km was mostly uphill and I was really starting to doubt whether I would be able to keep it together. We passed a guy who had dropped back from the lead 3 and then I gradually slipped of the back my group.

Without a watch I didn't know for sure, but I sensed this must be fast and would be my best chance of getting sub 17. I just hung in there on the home straight, trying to ignore the pain.

I finally crossed the line and collapsed on the ground for about 5 minutes before I had the strength to stumble to the timekeeper and read my time...

16:53!!!

Yay-hey - I'm officially in the sub-17 club - it's been a long time coming but finally it's all worth it.

Hope this inspires others to just go for it in their next race.

Nice.  Congrats!

Runners run

Going for sub-17 for the first time tomorrow.  It's a super-fast course with a fast field that will (hopefully) pull me under 17.  Kind of nervous, but I did B2B in 35 so the iron is definitely hot...

Tallbackanator

Going for sub-17 for the first time tomorrow.  It's a super-fast course with a fast field that will (hopefully) pull me under 17.  Kind of nervous, but I did B2B in 35 so the iron is definitely hot...

Good luck!

The Running Green Girl

Good luck!

You have the power within you to do whatever it is you want to do. Rachelle Disbennett-Lee, PhD

www.therunninggreengirl.com

You can do it!

Congrats, Diamond J--you didn't break 17, you smashed it.

Runners run

Congrats, Diamond J--you didn't break 17, you smashed it.

Thanks, Mikey.  Wish you could've been there.  You would've nailed it on that course.

kcam

Not that I have any business being on this thread but I just wanted to throw some props your way, Diamond J.  Way to go.