Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

On My Horse

I realized the other day that even though I've broke 17 three times in indoor track races, I've never done it outdoors, so I figured I'd revive this thread with my attempts to break 17 in the great outdoors.

Track is pretty much done for, I'm circling the New Balance Boston Meet on the 21st as a chance to try and go sub 4:20 in the 1500m, since I will be in the area, but there is no 5k that meet.  My next 5k race will likely be mid-June, once I'm in Tennessee for work.  I think I'm likely in shape to run sub 17 today if I was on the track in a race, but the opportunity for that has come and gone, so now I've got to get into better shape to try and do it out on the roads.

Anyone else up for some sub-17 minute action?

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'll jump on. With a PB of 17:36 from last month, this will be a very far stretch, but why not give it a go. At least I hope to take my time down to low 17.

I am fortunate enough to have plenty of 5Ks near me. Plan is to race a couple each month and see how it goes.

Good initiative to revive this excellent thread Father Russia!

mikeymike

Heh.  I thought about this thread the other day.

Nothing is over.

Runners run

I realized the other day that even though I've broke 17 three times in indoor track races, I've never done it outdoors, so I figured I'd revive this thread with my attempts to break 17 in the great outdoors.

Track is pretty much done for, I'm circling the New Balance Boston Meet on the 21st as a chance to try and go sub 4:20 in the 1500m, since I will be in the area, but there is no 5k that meet.  My next 5k race will likely be mid-June, once I'm in Tennessee for work.  I think I'm likely in shape to run sub 17 today if I was on the track in a race, but the opportunity for that has come and gone, so now I've got to get into better shape to try and do it out on the roads.

Anyone else up for some sub-17 minute action?

Not sure how long you will be here in TN, but if your here on 6/4, you could (and should) run the Music City Distance Carnival.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

joescott

Heh.  I thought about this thread the other day.

Nothing is over.

You still sitting on 17-flat?

MTA:  Checked your log -- question retracted. 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Ha, I never knew this thread existed!  Back in high school and college, sub 17 was the norm.  That was awhile ago, and It might be a decent idea to shoot for it again.  I just wonder if my legs can turnover that fast anymore.  Plus I would need to invest in a lot more short interval workouts.

Maybe after turning 40 next year that could be a good goal?

Ha, I never knew this thread existed!  Back in high school and college, sub 17 was the norm. 

I have a theory that the reason why middle-aged runners tend to be slower is that we tend to carry a few more pounds than when we were teenagers. If I could get back to the weight I was when I was 18 (probably about 70kg) I'd no doubt be faster than I am today at 77kg. Of course there are other reasons why we slow down, but for many of us that's a big part of it.

joescott

+1.  Yes.  From personal experience this is a very big factor; almost linear with all other variables held constant.

- Joe

+1.  Yes.  From personal experience this is a very big factor; almost linear with all other variables held constant.

I agree. My wife says I'm too skinny now (I'm not), but I'm about 10 to 15 pound heavier than when I ran in my teens and early 20s. I'm not any stronger or taller. 

My coach posted on a different site about how much time a person's 5K time would drop for every pound lost. It is NOT insignificant. Granted, the key is the weight has to be lost in a healthy manner and of course the same level of fitness retained. That is not always easy to do.

Ryan Hall mentions a few times in his book about watching his diet and his weight. I found that odd coming from a guy that probably runs 120 to 140 miles/week.  You'd think weight wouldn't be an issue, but he too understands the impact of the excess baggage. However,

On My Horse

Not sure how long you will be here in TN, but if your here on 6/4, you could (and should) run the Music City Distance Carnival.

That is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, my lease starts 6/1 so that is perfect.

So I guess my plan for now is a 1500m on 5/21, to tune up a little, then 6/4 I'll take a crack at the 5k, hopefully I'll be under 17 by a comfortable margin.

P.S. being young rocks Smile

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

That is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, my lease starts 6/1 so that is perfect.

Happy to help.

You should check out the Nashville Striders website, and chime in on this thread, it needs a 'bump',

and talk some trash with some of the guys you'll  be racing against.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I have a theory that the reason why middle-aged runners tend to be slower is that we tend to carry a few more pounds than when we were teenagers. If I could get back to the weight I was when I was 18 (probably about 70kg) I'd no doubt be faster than I am today at 77kg. Of course there are other reasons why we slow down, but for many of us that's a big part of it.

Weight is definitely a factor, but age is too.  I don't weigh any more now than I did in High School, but I'm much slower if we're talking about pure speed.  Back in HS I used to be able to run a 27-28 sec 200m at the end of an interval workout.  Spent quite a bit of time last summer working on speed, running nearly all out 200m intervals at the end of longer interval sessions, and the best I could do was 32 secs.  That's 4-5 secs slower over 200m.  That is a HUGE difference in speed.

However, I'm actually faster now at 5k than I was then, because I'm training much better.  My training was low mileage and lots of short (200/400) intervals in HS (I was a miler).  Higher mileage and more tempo work has me much stronger now than I was then, so the lost speed is more than made up for by the improved strength and endurance - at least at 5k and above.  I'm actually hoping to break 16 for the 5k this year, which I never thought was realistic until recently.

Running Boston in memory of my son.  Want to help?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Goals:

1. Run Boston for Matthew (< 2:40 if possible)
                          2. Run 5k < 16:00
                          3. Hold off father time for at least another year
                          joescott

Weight is definitely a factor, but age is too.

probably.  but i hope you're wrong.  Wink  i haven't yet given up silly dreams of besting my HS 3200m time some time before I die.

- Joe

mikeymike

yeah I also weigh about the same as I did my senior year in highschool but have lost significant speed.  I could run a 53 second 400 then.  I can't even imagine that now.

Runners run

I weigh 5 pounds less than I did when I was a junior in high school (10-15 less than as a senior) and I ran a ~11min 2 mile on the local cross country course as a challenge and I wasn't even a "runner."   I was in shape from tennis 2 hours a day every day.  Again, don't think I can run an 11 min 2 mile on the road or track right now, but might be close.   17 min 5k is far off, having just ran 17:57, but throw me in the ring...