Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

Nice run ChrBech, especially with the wind in London today.

I'm also back in the mix for this goal this summer.  In fact we may cross each others paths if you run the next Battersea 5k.

We may indeed. I have signed up for the one on June 13, which I believe is the next one. Today was my first race in the park, but I really enjoyed it (as much as you can enjoy a 5k at max effort) and will definitely try and squeeze more of them in over the Summer.

17:01 for me this morning, so close!

The course doesn't have km markers and I don't have a garmin so I didn't know how close I was.

All I had was the half way split of 8:35 and the return of 8:26 so I paced it decently.

Next time......

Looks like a huge PB for you, very impressive. With that kind of performance and a negative split, sub 17 must surely be right around the corner...

Hmm did 5k training (race mode) and ended in 17:18.

This might be doable after all. 

Will try to break 17 in a real race (flat Big grin)

mikeymike

Having this thread bumped today of all days is exactly the kick in the balls I needed.

Gracias.

Runners run

Meh, $5 is $5...

thats where I am going to take a shot at it.

Let's be fair - you ran sub 17 last year. Low bar. Any idea how many people are in the open 5000?

The King of Beasts

Let's be fair - you ran sub 17 last year. Low bar. Any idea how many people are in the open 5000?

Lets be fair - last year was last year.

no idea, ted and dan are in the invitational. its probably just going to be me out there like a jackass.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Started with core training this past week.  I'm pretty sure crunches were invented in medieval times.

Other than that.. I'm in the high 17 min range for a 5k (I think). It might be 1,500-2,000 miles off from sub-17.

And we run because we like it
                    Through the broad bright land

dallasboycows

lot of miles to increase the VO2 and interval training to increase both lactic thresh and speed and just plain tolernace to pain.

Cool as a Cucumber

miles of trials and trials of miles

The pavement fears me.

drrbradford

17:26 today (kilometer splits were 3:21, 3:34, 3:28 and 7:03 for the last two) in a quite competitive field on a flat 2-lap course. I think I finished somewhere between 10th and 15th with at least 7 guys under 17. Still a long long way to sub17, but I have gone from 17:45 to 17:36 and now 17:26 in two months time, which is pretty encouraging. I'll keep plucking away!

27 seconds are easy to find. I promise.

Nice run ChrBech, especially with the wind in London today.

I'm also back in the mix for this goal this summer.  In fact we may cross each others paths if you run the next Battersea 5k.

Roth Runner - hope you had a good race tonight. I DNS due to a sore achilles. It's getting better but not quite ready for a 5K yet.

mikeymike

17:23 yesterday.

I'm not dead yet.

Runners run

Well, if 27 seconds are easy to find, then 24 should be even easier...