Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

McMillan has 2:45 for 17:00... which sounds much more reasonable to me than 2:42. Most 2:45 guys can crush a 17 min 5k. And, most 17:00 guys, for that matter, would struggle to run 2:45. Not sure about how it works out for women.
    When are you gonna go sub-16, Jeff?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Why is it sideways?

When are you gonna go sub-16, Jeff?
      I dunno. I think I'm in shape to do it right now. And possibly 15:30 or faster. There have been few races around here, and they have all been planned on bad weekends for me. Hopefully after Tom King 1/2 marathon I can find a 5k.
        Count me in mikey. It may be the death of me, but I'm going for it! Speaking of Thundear, I beat him to sub-18, and I plan the same for sub-17. There, I said it. May it be so. Smile

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

xor

I am in mikey.
          I hope you took a flashlight. And a map. And a copy of Peter Frampton's "I'm in you... you're in me".

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Alright, now that it's on like Donkey Kong, how are we gonna get there? Me, I just spent $$ on a new deck and belt for my treadmill. This'll make it possible for me to run regularly for a change instead of being at the whim of every other force in my life. From there, it's run a bunch, drop some weight, and endure about 8 weeks of soul-crushing, vomit-inducing intervals in the fall. That ought to do the trick. How 'bout you?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

How 'bout you?
              Run a lot, mostly easy, some hard.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I hope you took a flashlight. And a map. And a copy of Peter Frampton's "I'm in you... you're in me".
                Ok, so it took me until nearly the end of my run to figure this out. I am so obtuse. Very good srl.

Ricky

Marquess of Utopia

I in for a sub 2:50 marathon and a sub 17 5k. Actually I would be happy with a 2:57:00. I only run one 5k every year so I may take a while, but I ran 17:10 last 4th of July. Good luck everyone!

Was it all a dream?

What are these 5k's you speak of?
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You might know this as a 15-minute tempo run.

Certifiably Insane

Count me in! That's been my goal for this year, so this'll be added motivation for me. I hit a 17:15 last July 4th (the course was a bit short, so I think it was closer to 17:30) which is pretty good for an old man! I had a breakdown of some kind after that, though, and couldn't get under 18:15 for the rest of the year. I'm hitting 42-50 mpw right now. I'm hoping to be in the 60's by the end of May. This is all on just 4 days of running per week. (My knee doesn't like running every day.) I've never gone into a summer racing season with this kind of mileage. I'll be very interested to see what it does for my races. My goal race is in mid-August, so plenty of time for each phase. Mikey, thanks for starting this one. Good luck to everyone who signed on! We should post our training schedules so we can compare. I'd be real interested in seeing what the sub-16 guys are doing... Wink
                        On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
                        DoppleBock

McMillan has 2:45 for 17:00... which sounds much more reasonable to me than 2:42. Most 2:45 guys can crush a 17 min 5k. And, most 17:00 guys, for that matter, would struggle to run 2:45. Not sure about how it works out for women.
                          I'm a Jack Daniels V-Dot type of guy

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I think the Vdot is what a person should be capable of if they put in enough training mileage. 17:03 = 2:43:25 16:48 = 2:41:08 We all have goals and goals are personal. It just seemed to me that a goal of breaking 2:50 was light compared to breaking 17:00 Of course I have never had a goal for a 5k as I hate 5ks ... Which means they are my weakness ,,, which means that I should probably join this thread and race them more. It would take me until September to have a shot ..

DoppleBock

Unrelated ... but Man do you kick ass at Paavo. That course bitch slapped me.

It just seemed to me that a goal of breaking 2:50 was light compared to breaking 17:00
                                I couldn't agree more.

Runners run