Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

Should be, brother, but I've been looking for 1 second for 7 years now.

Runners run

xor

I've got a hole in me pocket.

Roth Runner - hope you had a good race tonight. I DNS due to a sore achilles. It's getting better but not quite ready for a 5K yet.

Reasonable CB, but not quite.  17:05 this evening.  No excuses as the conditions were decent enough.

Spot where I lost it: 3:24, 3:26, 3:22.5, 3:33, 3:19.5

I'm a bit irritated by this one as it was a good opportunity even though I wasn't feeling too perky mentally or physically before hand.  I had people to hang on to in the 4th k, but I lost focus and form as they drifted away.

I hope the achilles clears up quickly for you.

Oh and nice improvement this week mikey, good to see you back in the ball game.

dallasboycows

Because what this place needs most is another Goal of X time for Y distance thread. My story is that in the spring of 2004, after about 4 years of relatively consistent and progressive training and racing, I upped my mileage and had a breakthrough season. One day in May at a local yokel 5K I ran 17 flat. Officially, anyway. The last numbers I saw on the finish clock before I crossed under it were in the 16:5X's and my watch, which I stopped a few meters after the finish line, read 16:59.xx, but the official results said 17:00.00, so there it was. Seriously, point zero, zero. I wish I were kidding. But no worries, I figured. Surely I'd just break 17 at some other 5K that summer or sometime soon. It was a given at that point. A lock. Well, later that summer my running took a left turn and I wound up taking a hiatus from racing and any real training for almost 2 years. When I started back at in in 2006, I'd lost not one step but many, many steps. It took a while and a lot of miles but I'm almost back to where I was. There were two major pieces of unfinished business from that spring of 2004--a sub 2:50 marathon and a sub 17 5k. I checked off the marathon last October. So here we are. This may all end badly but I figure if I don't give it a serious go this year then I'll only be one year older when I do. Who's with me?

i remember the sub 17 5k 14 years ago.  LOL.  My goal is 18:30 and then maybe your 17 minutes.  Good luck to you.  You can do it.  Just keep after it.

About to race my first 5k on Saturday. Had a good week at practice on Tues (8x200 followed by a 2 mile run). But, Im increasing my mpw and my legs were heavy this morning. Still managed to crank out a half mile hard. Goal for this one is just 3 sub-6 miles. I'd be happy with that.

And we run because we like it
            Through the broad bright land

Perhaps it would help to chase a local Kenyan at a certain weekly series held in the Merrimack Valley?  I don't think Titus has been racing them very hard, but he did run a 2:39 marathon a couple of weeks ago in Buffalo.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

The King of Beasts

thats where I am going to take a shot at it.

just to be clear,  I ran a 17:04

moving on.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Knocked out a 17:32 on Saturday. Felt okay going in. Could have paced a little better and improved the time slightly. Or shaved off a few seconds in the last k, but was trapped in no mans land. I'm amazed at the mental toughness required. I just dont have that right now. Not to the level where I could reach for a time to make it to sub-17. Anyway, it was a good start to the summer. I hope everybody else raced well.

Another 17:05 for me yesterday - I'm starting to know how you feel about this goal mikeymike!

That's probably it for me for a while as I switch to marathon focused training.

Just back from 17 days of vacation. I ran or tried to run every other day for an hour. But thats all I did while traveling. I'm just wondering if anybody has any idea what to expect when coming back from a short break like this. My legs are fresh and I was able to crush the short workout last night. But, Im not sure what to expect with any sort of distance effort.. ie a 5k.. or more importantly the 7k XC USTAF race I just registered for.

Any ideas of what to do when coming off vacation? 

Because what this place needs most is another Goal of X time for Y distance thread.

My story is that in the spring of 2004, after about 4 years of relatively consistent and progressive training and racing, I upped my mileage and had a breakthrough season. One day in May at a local yokel 5K I ran 17 flat. Officially, anyway. The last numbers I saw on the finish clock before I crossed under it were in the 16:5X's and my watch, which I stopped a few meters after the finish line, read 16:59.xx, but the official results said 17:00.00, so there it was. Seriously, point zero, zero. I wish I were kidding. But no worries, I figured. Surely I'd just break 17 at some other 5K that summer or sometime soon. It was a given at that point. A lock. Well, later that summer my running took a left turn and I wound up taking a hiatus from racing and any real training for almost 2 years. When I started back at in in 2006, I'd lost not one step but many, many steps. It took a while and a lot of miles but I'm almost back to where I was.

There were two major pieces of unfinished business from that spring of 2004--a sub 2:50 marathon and a sub 17 5k. I checked off the marathon last October. So here we are. This may all end badly but I figure if I don't give it a serious go this year then I'll only be one year older when I do. Who's with me?

February of 2009 seems like such innocent times now.  Sheesh.

Runners run

MoBramExam

February of 2009 seems like such innocent times now.  Sheesh.

Maybe you could start running 10-15 miles a week on a TM, then try to run a sub-6:00 mile?

You should still have a few years left in your legs, carry on.  Sub-17 or not, you're a RA Hall of Famer, dude.

Felt pretty good about this weekends 7k XC race. Finished in 2502 or 545 pace. Ran it like a hard tempo. Got stuck in no-mans-land in the last 2-3k. Given the course was very slow with soft dirt, stones, many cutbacks, three hills and two 180 deg turns, I'm very happy with the effort vs. the time. Still about 1000 miles away from sub-17.

This week I'm going for 10 miles in 60 min. A long time goal is on the chopping block. Then back to hammering out 5k workouts.

I  might jump in a local 5k this Sunday as a fitness test.  It's not a fast course (might even be a hair long) but it's very local--I can see my house twice from the course.  I ran 17:18 there last year of a much bigger base of miles but it would be interesting to see where I'm at right now.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I  might jump in a local 5k this Sunday as a fitness test.  It's not a fast course (might even be a hair long) but it's very local--I can see my house twice from the course.  I ran 17:18 there last year of a much bigger base of miles but it would be interesting to see where I'm at right now.

Just plug your best mile time into a VDOT calculator and claim you could run the equivalent 5k time.  Then you don't even have to leave the house.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.