Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

Ran 18:02 (ish) for 3rd in a small local yokel race this am.  Not discouraged because there were some mitigating circumstances, namely that I was with my dog at the animal hospital for an emergency visit all morning after a rough night with him.

Got home from the vet at 9:45 (the race was at 10am) and told my wife I guess I'd miss the race.  She said, "Don't you just want to run down there and try and make it?"  She can be pretty cool at times.

The race start was half a mile from my house.  I ran down the basement to grab running shorts and socks out of the drier, ran up to my room, changed, threw on racing flats, grabbed $25 from my wife on my way through the kitchen and sprinted out the back door and ran a 3 minute half mile down to the park where the check in was. I got there as they were singing the national anthem, stopped and stood at attention with my heart racing until it was over, then weaved my way to the registration table.  Pinned a number on while running to the starting line, started the race out of breath and dehydrated.

It was cool though, got to run through a column of first responders (police, fire and national guard) who were running or marching in formations for a 9/11 tribute, having started 2 minutes before the main field.

Ran a 5:43 uphill first mile and was pretty cooked.  Just tried to keep my foot on the gas to get in a good solid tempo workout at that point.

I think even with a normal race morning I wold not have matched the 17:18 I ran hear last year, but I think 17:30 wold have been reasonable.  It's no a fast course.

At any rate, good to pin a number on and let er rip, feel the burning in the arms, legs and lungs at the end.  A decent start to what I hope will be a fall racing season.

Runners run

Mike-

I am running a FAST 5K in Elliot, ME (near the border) on Saturday 9/24.  If you were able to get up here, 2hrs round trip and $17 (prereg) is a small price to pay to get this monkey off your back.  Results from last year...

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/10/me/Sep25_EliotF_set1.shtml

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

Diamond J, I will look into whether that fits the family calendar--it is probably a bit soon as I don't think I'll be in sub 17 shape in 2 weeks. But it looks like a good race and I'd like to race every couple of weeks for the next 2-3 months, since my racing skills are a bit rusty.

I'm kind of targeting late October (Great Bay 5k maybe?) to make a serious run at sub 17.

Runners run

18 min 5k isnt so bad. Esp. on a rough course.

Ran my 10 mile race this weekend in 5936. Pretty happy about that. With the last mile in 550, same as the first mile. The tangent was down the middle of the road, but they didnt stop traffic for the race, so the course was a little long. I'm not sure why they did that. But downing 10 miles in less than an hour has been a goal for at least 12 months and that feels great. Another long term goal is sub-80 min Half marathon, which is now more that possible and on the schedule.

Overall, getting closer to sub-17. Plus, I think I've go a little more speed than endurance. I'm guessing my 5k time is between 1705 and 1710 right now. Maybe closer to 1705. I'm kind of tempted to just jump in a weekend race and let it rip.

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

Just a dude.

I guess I am going to throw my name in this hat as well...

I'm a ways away right now... I ran 17:53 last summer, but I had ankle surgery in May and I'm just now building back up. I'll probably run a 5k in October to kind of see where I am, but I think it might be winter / spring before anything would be realistic.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Good luck Kelly.

Its a long slow journey to sub-17. A bit like the Twilight Zone at times. Take care of that ankel and things will start to come together.

Just a dude.

I know the journey... I've was there a long time ago.  Granted, I'm much older now, but I at least know what the territory looks like.  

Right now, the best thing I'm doing is losing weight.  I'm almost embarrassed to say I am down to 215.  I figure just getting down to about 170 will make a huge difference...  (My 17:53 before was at about 185)

Ankle is about 90-95% now I think... It aches occasionally and isn't quite as flexible as my other one, but it's not slowing me down. 

I know I've got a ways to go, but I also know I can get there...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Managed 1.5 miles on the track yesterday with about a 5:18-19 pace. Looking back on it I should have closed out at least that second mile, but such is life. I could have kept that pace through those two miles. 

Im confident that sub-17 is more than possible right now. Just need to find a race and a good course.

Fourth consectutive 70 mile week.

Big workout was 12 x 200 on Tuesday. Ran those in the 32-33 second range. Felt pretty good, but hammering those out on pavement sucks.

Managed a 3 mile tempo on Saturday. It was a little slow, but on hills. I'm not sure how much a tempo will help anyway. Perhaps a tempo followed by some 800s or 400s @ 5k pace would be better.

Sunday had a short track workout. I'm starting to love the track. It doesnt hurt like concrete. It was good to shake things out.

That means this will be a down week and everything will be easy. Plus, I've signed up for a 5k on Sunday - Urban Cowntown. The longer I stay focused on a 528 pace, the better it will go.

Fourth consectutive 70 mile week.

Big workout was 12 x 200 on Tuesday. Ran those in the 32-33 second range. Felt pretty good, but hammering those out on pavement sucks.

Managed a 3 mile tempo on Saturday. It was a little slow, but on hills. I'm not sure how much a tempo will help anyway. Perhaps a tempo followed by some 800s or 400s @ 5k pace would be better.

Sunday had a short track workout. I'm starting to love the track. It doesnt hurt like concrete. It was good to shake things out.

That means this will be a down week and everything will be easy. Plus, I've signed up for a 5k on Sunday - Urban Cowntown. The longer I stay focused on a 528 pace, the better it will go.

Do 5 or 6 mile tempos.  Or 6 X 1 miles or 3 X 2 miles at the same pace.  Love 'em!

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

Cool as a Cucumber

I'm trying really hard not to suck at 5ks. I have a 4:48 mile (from late May 2010) and a 36:00-38:00 10k a week after it. 5ks... I have never been much of a stud there at all. Yesterday, I hit my PR of 18:23 on a relatively slow course. All grass; just kinda sucked the speed away from me.

So looking back at my training, it FEELS like I've been doing well, but evidently not well enough. There have been gaps in the summer due to my needing new shoes (early July) and then doing NROTC stuff where they either didn't give us time to work out on our own (they had every second of our day planned) or they didn't have enough oxygen (that was on the submarine). But excuses, excuses...

I just recovered from my latest injury which was tendonitis on my right ankle. I aggravated the tendon by being dumb and flexing my toes when I pushed off with each stride. I was told that I don't push off enough, and now I'm trying to fix that. My dumbness caused me to be out for about a week very recently.

So I know that my hopes of going going sub 18:00 are all placed in the basket neatly labeled "workouts and tempos". However, I'd like to have that placed in the basket marked "base mileage". My question is, what can I do to make my base mileage running of a higher caliber and higher quality? The obvious answer is "run more miles", but I want to make sure that I'm getting the most out of my miles as I do them.

Suggestions and criticisms all around are appreciated.

The pavement fears me.

Personally, Ive had good luck with a larger base. The pace of these miles isnt so important, just that you get them in. My goal on them is 8/mile. But, I end up ranging from 7:20 to 7:55ish. If you can run twice a day, thats best. It will be less taxing on your body. Then, when you are back to 100%, working in those interval runs, a tempo and a long run every week. By long, something in the 10-13 mile range should be plenty. Some weeks are good to throw in a fast finish. But I only do that when Im feeling really good. Its a balancing act, but not getting caught up in the day-to-day of it helps. Listen to your body and try to get out there as much as possible, even if its just for a super easy run.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

I'm trying really hard not to suck at 5ks. I have a 4:48 mile (from late May 2010) and a 36:00-38:00 10k a week after it. 5ks... I have never been much of a stud there at all. Yesterday, I hit my PR of 18:23 on a relatively slow course. All grass; just kinda sucked the speed away from me.

So looking back at my training, it FEELS like I've been doing well, but evidently not well enough. There have been gaps in the summer due to my needing new shoes (early July) and then doing NROTC stuff where they either didn't give us time to work out on our own (they had every second of our day planned) or they didn't have enough oxygen (that was on the submarine). But excuses, excuses...

I just recovered from my latest injury which was tendonitis on my right ankle. I aggravated the tendon by being dumb and flexing my toes when I pushed off with each stride. I was told that I don't push off enough, and now I'm trying to fix that. My dumbness caused me to be out for about a week very recently.

So I know that my hopes of going going sub 18:00 are all placed in the basket neatly labeled "workouts and tempos". However, I'd like to have that placed in the basket marked "base mileage". My question is, what can I do to make my base mileage running of a higher caliber and higher quality? The obvious answer is "run more miles", but I want to make sure that I'm getting the most out of my miles as I do them.

Suggestions and criticisms all around are appreciated.

Hey dude, check out this thread:

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/c946c6aaae5444a3b960d74f9b5041b5/0

I think it is very relevant.

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

and a 36:00-38:00 10k a week after it

Which was it?  A 36 minute 10k is two 18 minute 5k's back to back.  If  you've done that then your 5k pr is not 18:23.

Runners run

Cool as a Cucumber

dbilenkin: Thank you, this thread is helpful. I see that deterimining my efficiency of my base mileage is not something that I can do, and I should focus on working harder instead of trying to get by with the minimal amount of work.

mikeymike: Eh, it's probably closer to 38:00, but I don't know what the exact time. It was my 10k split from a HM.

The pavement fears me.