Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

Awesome. Even the donkey on the boat is impressed.

Amazing. Congrats!

No Talent Drips

"I ran as hard as I could and left it out there, I could not of run that race any better."

- Mikey (just after finishing)

So awesome, congrats

Says it all.

Where do I sign up?

Dei Gratia

Thanks guys, sincerely. That PR was about to have it's 10th birthday in May and that would have been a rough milestone. 

good work!  you ripped that monkey off your back and gave it a swift kick to the family jewels.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

This morning in Cambridge, MA I ran 16:59.44 (PR) in a USATF certified 5k. I am free.

Don't stop. Don't ever stop.

Very awesome. Congratulations!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I ran a 17:13 5k this morning, but upon measuring the route on 3 separate online GPS map routes, I kept getting 3.17 miles, which would mean I broke 17 for real. I'm planning on contacting the race people. What do y'all think?

Why is it sideways?

I ran a 17:13 5k this morning, but upon measuring the route on 3 separate online GPS map routes, I kept getting 3.17 miles, which would mean I broke 17 for real. I'm planning on contacting the race people. What do y'all think?

You could either do that or bump your mileage to 50mpw and run 16:30.

joescott

I think you will feel better about it when the clock really says 16:59 or better and you know that course was not short.  Was the course certified?  Anyway, if so, then there is a much higher probability that the course was 5000 meters and that your "online GPS map routes" are in error.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Feeling the growl again

I'm not sure why you think that some online tool is more accurate than whatever the RD used.  Was it certified?  If so, and you contacted the RD, they would be in the right to be annoyed.  If not, well, some online tool is no more accurate (and likely less) than wheeling it, measuring it with a bike odometer, or driving it in their car.  I have actually plotted out a couple certified courses on such a tool, and the distance spit back to me was not the certified distance (even taking the 0.1% short course correction factor into account).

The first time I broke 16 I chose an uncertified course.  It ended up being a good 0.1 miles long and the RD admitted they didn't even measure it because "it's for charity".  So I just found a certified course the next weekend and went with that.  That's the most direct route to getting the sub-17 monkey off your back.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bap

How did you measure the route, by just uploading to a website or measuring or tracing it on a map?

Certified Running Coach
                      Crocked since 2013

This will be the case with every certified 5k you ever run. Please don't contact the race officials, they have enough to worry about without yet another "but my GPS says" complaint.

Runners run

Cool, thanks for the thoughts, everyone!

You could either do that or bump your mileage to 50mpw and run 16:30.

I'd love to!

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Just read this entire thread today, and damn, it's inspiring. Time to get after it. (Not sub-17... my own personal goals.) --Christine