Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

Think Whirled Peas

Couch Potato 5k in BG. Wanna run? Drinks afterward.
    Looking at last year's results...sub-17 would take the cake. Just sayin'

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Mishka-old log

Looking at last year's results...sub-17 would take the cake. Just sayin'
      Whoa...I just checked 17:55. Inviting Cougar89 is suddenly looking like not such a smart move.
        I'm in. I'm a bit green at 5k's but I'd like a short term challenge before I start training for my second marathon (Berlin - September). So I'll have 2 shots at sub 17, both in June. I won't bother putting my training week as I've not really had one - my wedding put paid to that - I'm itching to get back out there tomorrow though.
        Purdey

Self anointed title

Many congrats RothRunner - on the wedding and the 10km PB (on Valentine's day.... ) BTW - don't see you in the UK Runners user group - do you lurk there? We are always on the look out for more Brits! Tom

Cheers Tom, I didn't realise there was a UK user group to be honest, I'll go have a look. When's your 10 miler BTW, I'm looking forward to seeing whether you can get through that hour barrier. I'm considering doing a 10m myself on the 7th of March, though after a bit of a dip in training in the last few weeks I may just try and get the miles back up for the next month. Robin
            Purdey

Self anointed title

City of Salisbury 10m on 8th March. Did have place in the Ballycotton 10 on the same day - but had to cancel trip to Ireland due to my friend's total incompetence. Another story. Things haven't really gone according to plan since an ultra I ran about 4 weeks ago - I think the sub 60 attempt may have to come later in the year. For now I'll be happy with anything under 65.

DoppleBock

City of Salisbury 10m on 8th March. Did have place in the Ballycotton 10 on the same day - but had to cancel trip to Ireland due to my friend's total incompetence. Another story. Things haven't really gone according to plan since an ultra I ran about 4 weeks ago - I think the sub 60 attempt may have to come later in the year. For now I'll be happy with anything under 65.
                Lets split the difference - We want to see a sub 62:30!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I can only offer moral support right now, as I never got there. 17:07 on the track (under 17:20 at least 10 times) and 17:12 on the roads - in a race where a popped blister bled through my flats for the last 2 miles. But that was back in 1994/1995. I was able to do that on 30-40 miles per week although I felt tons better when i was doing 60-70...just tore my hamstring before I got a chance at a 5K race. 2 days before the tear I did 9:36 in the 3000m. Now being 2009 I am just now getting my mileage back toward a goal of 40 in a week - nowhere near what I see in the OP's log - that should send my 5K back down into the 18:30 range or better if I stay healthy...maybe next year I can look at 17's again if I actually hit the track, and really join this discussion. For the OP - I think though once you're down to 17 unless you have natural (like sub 55 quarter) speed you are going to have to inject some shorter intervals. I was able to approach it on pure distance but I was an 800/1600 runner. Your log has a ton of distance and some impressive strength in terms of stamina and endurance, I don't know your shorter distance potential. If you can do something like 12x400 w/ 200 jog recovery in under 72 without being carted away its probably enough. I was no speed demon though - bunch of miles in the high 4:40's the winter of the hamstring tear while running 60 MPW.
                  Purdey

Self anointed title

I'm going to race until my eyeballs bleed. If that gets me 62:30 then so be it! Anyway - back to 5k's.

I agree with DB, 63 something at least! You know you can do it!
                        For the OP - I think though once you're down to 17 unless you have natural (like sub 55 quarter) speed you are going to have to inject some shorter intervals. I was able to approach it on pure distance but I was an 800/1600 runner. Your log has a ton of distance and some impressive strength in terms of stamina and endurance, I don't know your shorter distance potential. If you can do something like 12x400 w/ 200 jog recovery in under 72 without being carted away its probably enough. I was no speed demon though - bunch of miles in the high 4:40's the winter of the hamstring tear while running 60 MPW.
                        I ran 52.7 for 400 but it was 22 years ago, does that count? I'll do some short stuff when it warms up bu sub 17 will be a hell of a lot easier than 12 x 400 in 72, that much I know.

Runners run

Like I said.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I ran 52.7 for 400 but it was 22 years ago, does that count? I'll do some short stuff when it warms up bu sub 17 will be a hell of a lot easier than 12 x 400 in 72, that much I know.
                            Probably not valid, nor is my 55 flat from 1990 :-). I had a quarter-happy high school coach, I'd much rather do more 200's at pace than 400's. I liked the breakdown workouts we used to do in college - 600 run/400 rest, 400 run/300 rest, 200 run then 800 rest between sets. Kinda shakes it up a little IMO, makes the track a little less of a drudgery.
                              Everybody had a quarter happy high school coach. Mine was at least effective as we won just about everything there was to win. But then again he was working with teenage boys who were racing at 400 - 2 miles and not 39 year old hobby joggers racing 5k to marathon.

Runners run

We were #1 in the area in XC my senior year and he was coach of the year because of that, but I was trying to get closer to 2:00 in the 800 in track. Tough to do running 12x400. When I said its tough to run a fast 800 when you're running quarters at 5K race pace so he said "OK then do 24 200's". I said sure, did 8 of them in 28-29 then left the track with him yelling at me for doing the workout. I guess he was good for the lazy guys on the team who wouldn't run a step otherwise, but not for someone who already had a fire under his butt. As for the 800, my best was 2:06 my sophomore year....and junior year...and senior year. Go figure Wink He used to get mad too because we'd be doing the quarters and I'd run close to 80 until the last 2, when the girls' team finally got to the track and I'd run 60-62. I don't know if you do the same thing but one mistake that kept me from breaking 17 was always going out too fast. I would always have 5:07-5:11 in the first mile (probably because everyone else in the race was faster than me and I didn't want to spend quite as much time in last). Had I just done 5:20-5:25 I should have set myself up nicely for a strong finish and 16:40-16:50. I also overtrained - some of my best times were in practice. I can't think of any other idea except maybe cutting back a bit for a week or two before your target 5K - you've got a pretty rugged log! You have plenty of endurance and stamina at a pace that should get you under 17, and it sounds like you have the speed in you. When are you thinking about trying?