Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

what key sessions would you do in the 6 weeks?
    I'll probably do 2 workouts a week: one with about 4-5 miles worth of longish intervals at ~10k to 15k pace with short rests, the other about 2-3 miles worth of work at ~3k to 5k pace with equal time rests. So workout 1 might be10-12 miles including 3 x 2000m @ 10k pace / jog 200. And workout 2 mght be 8-10 miles including 8 x 400m @ 3k pace / jog 200. And there will also be some tune-up 5k's since it's tough to nail a good 5k without some practice so if I'm racing a 5K I'd substitute it for one of the above. Rother Runner, if you ran 18:20 in your one and only 5k I'd say you have a very good shot at sub 17 this year.

Runners run

Week of 3/2: 80 miles. Key workouts: 1. Wednesday: 12.2 miles in single digit temps, did 8 x 2 on / 1 off and 4 x 20 seconds fast. 2. Sunday: 17 mile progression run, aiming to finish with the last mile at goal half marathon pace. Last 4 miles were 6:41, 6:44 uphill, 5:54 downhill, and 6:03. Perfect. Next Sunday is the New Bedford Half Marathon which should be a great test.

Runners run

xor

(raises hand) Que est-ce que c'est "on"?

~10k pace. Don't exactly know since I'm just doing it by time but that's what I'm aiming for.

Runners run

xor

~10k pace. Don't exactly know since I'm just doing it by time but that's what I'm aiming for.
            Cool. Wasn't specifically looking for an equivalent race pace... just whether "on" was similar to "kind of fast", " super fast", or "super bad".

Well I had a high week for me with 56 miles. The trouble is I got carried away and did too much intensity so have a sore thigh and grion pain today (idiot!) - I will be running mostly easy this week. Tues: Track with 2 work colleagues, 2 x 1600m @ 6:40p, 1k @ 6:24p, 1k @ 5:47p, 400m in 1:18, & 2 x 400 in 1:26 (bit of a random session as we were of mixed abilities) Thurs: 10.4 miles with last 2.25m @ 5:59p Sat: 14.25 miles with 6 x 1m @ 6:11-6:14p, 200m jogs between Thanks for the 5k prep workout suggestions Mikey and a nice week. Good luck for New Bedford.
                I figure I should join this group, as I just broke 18 minutes for the 5k last weekend. 17:52! Big grin Dropping 17 seconds per mile off my 5k pace is going to be tough!
                Len

Damn Yankee

I'm in too. With my recent PR being around 20:30 it sounds ridiculous, but I spent some time with some pretty fast people this past weekend and have a different mindset. It's one thing to read stuff on the interwebs, it's another thing entirely to watch the results of the work. Time to go big or go home.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

I'm in too. With my recent PR being around 20:30 it sounds ridiculous, but I spent some time with some pretty fast people this past weekend and have a different mindset. It's one thing to read stuff on the interwebs, it's another thing entirely to watch the results of the work. Time to go big or go home.
                    POD. This is just too awesome.

Runners run

Right on Hereford...

Sweet. I don't know if I have the balls for that.
                        I wish everyone luck with this goal...I just put all my old hand-written race logs onto an Excel sheet and realized I ran under 17:30 in 29 different races over a 5 year period but never broke 17 Angry I love Len's enthusiasm!!! As for me, I have to throw down a race result of under 18:30 before I can think about joining a serious discussion here...when I started high school my goal was to be the 4th high school runner to break 4 minutes in the mile. I only came up 45 seconds short of that one (insert a Homer "d'oh!"). Give me 4 months...
                        Len

Damn Yankee

Sweet. I don't know if I have the balls for that.
                          I'm not an authority, but I listened carefully to a couple of guys that run 26.2 in the low 2:30's for a couple days. Glanced briefly at your last few months, and saw your PR 5k in Dec. 18:13. You've put together a nice string of training since then. I bet your next 5k is ALOT closer to sub 17 than you might think.
                          As for me, I have to throw down a race result of under 18:30 before I can think about joining a serious discussion here...
                          Basically what I learned is, the dudes are FAST, but they're just dudes. The thing that makes them different than you and I is their mileage. The miles. The speedwork and stuff is important, but it's just fine tuning to an engine that is already way faster than most because they run lots and lots of miles. Big picture, the way I feel during and after my 20:30 5k isn't too much different than how they feel running their sub 16 5ks. They just run more so they are faster. I may be waaay off base, but I don't think so. So to me, now that my eyes are truly opened, I don't see the purpose in shooting for sub 20, sub 19, etc. I want to run sub 17 so this is where I need to be. I have no clue how long it will take. I just have to start stringing together 60+ mile weeks and eventually I'll get there. A fast guy I really respect said so, and I believe him.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Why is it sideways?

I figure I should join this group, as I just broke 18 minutes for the 5k last weekend. 17:52! Big grin Dropping 17 seconds per mile off my 5k pace is going to be tough!
                            All it will take is 900 miles over 3 months. I love it when Len is fired up.
                              Len - I think it works for most people. I was on my way sophomore year of college - had 60+ miles/week for three months, ran a 4:46 mile and 9:36 3000m with no interval training at all in that winter...coach gave me the goal of 16-flat (not 17) for the spring...then tore my hamstring before I could make an attempt at anything. That was the end of that! I have a lot of buildup to do just to get the mileage into the 30's then I start running out of time with my schedule Sad I am starting a new job though on the 23rd, with a 5 mile commute rather than 44, so maybe the two-a-days are a possibility again. You're right though - I am sure if I got my mileage up in the 30s for 2 or 3 months straight the 18:30 will come with it. There's a race in early June I'm targeting for that. I was able to run mid/high 17's with 40-45 miles per week so that would be my next goal, maybe by September. I have to incrementalize the steps, otherwise I tend to either get discouraged or get hurt trying to do too much at once. Right now I can only really base hopes and dreams off a 19:31 5K I ran in June 2004 when I was consistently at 20 miles per week, which really isn't valid. All my goals come with the disclaimer "if I stay healthy..." because that's been a major issue. The only thing I can't do at 34 that I could at 18 is run a 200 in 25-flat. But if 60-mile weeks do the trick then I won't need to... Will be interesting to follow your progress toward that! I might join you...
                              corland

I just have to start stringing together 60+ mile weeks and eventually I'll get there. A fast guy I really respect said so, and I believe him.
                                This shit sounds like jscovill...