Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The only thing I can't do at 34 that I could at 18 is run a 200 in 25-flat. But if 60-mile weeks do the trick then I won't need to..
    Speed is a lovely thing to have at the end of a race, but it's a little over-rated for a 5k. I knew a guy who couldn't break 2:18 for 800m. But his fastest mile was around 4:40, ran the two mile well under 10, and was under 16 for 5k. Dude had zero speed -- he was like one big slow twitch muscle. 5k is an aerobic race, but because it's the shortest thing out there most of the time, we've convinced ourselves it's this ultimate test of speed. It's not.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Len

Damn Yankee

All my goals come with the disclaimer "if I stay healthy..." because that's been a major issue.
      Not trying to just needle you, but he also said that once he got over 40 mpw all of his nagging injuries went away....

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

All it will take is 900 miles over 3 months. I love it when Len is fired up.
        It took me 9 months to go from a PR of 18:50 to get it down to 17:52, running about 175mi/month. I expect it to take another year to get it down to <17. if i ever get there. if="" i="" ever="" get=""></17. if i ever get there.>

Why is it sideways?

It took me 9 months to go from a PR of 18:50 to get it down to 17:52, running about 175mi/month. I expect it to take another year to get it down to <17. if="" i="" ever="" get=""></17.>
          FWIW, I've found in my own training that the difference between 175/month and 300/month is HUGE in terms of aerobic development and very small in terms of training load. Just saying.
            Going from 175 to 300 is huge in terms of time commitment when you work a regular job and have other things going on in your life. I have a tough enough time fitting 45-50mi/week in. Adding 30 miles/week to that? The wife wont be happy.

Why is it sideways?

Its also huge in terms of time commitment when you work a regular job and have other things going on in your life.
              Well, it takes 30 minutes more a day, if that's what you consider a huge time commitment.
                Well, it takes 30 minutes more a day, if that's what you consider a huge time commitment.
                On some days I only have a 30-45 minute time window to run in, so thats not gonna happen without doubles.

Why is it sideways?

On some days I only have a 30-45 minute time window to run in, so thats not gonna happen without doubles.
                  Excellent! I've found doubles to be really beneficial, too. That sounds like an awesome plan. That extra 30-45min in the morning will work wonders. Good luck!
                    Love the gung-ho attitude Jeff Big grin Doubles aint gonna happen. Someone likes to hit the snooze button.
                      Week of 3/9: 76 miles. Key workouts: 13.1 mi race (New Bedford HM) in a disapointing 1:20:46. Got a stitch after the 9 mi marker and faded--couldn't take a full breath. Frustrating.

Runners run

I'll have to see what happens if I can get the mileage back into the 40's and see if I stay healthy. Last week (my weeks end on Fridays, not this calendar) I broke 30 for the first time in 3 years. Hope to match that this week but with two hockey games within 3 days it will be tough. Go Blue -I do agree with you - the best 5K shape I was ever in was on 60 mile weeks, mostly all easy pace. I just have the background with faster 400/800 times and hope its to my advantage. it did give me confidence that if I have 400 to go and I'm within 65-70 seconds of a goal I can kick it in. A guy on my high school team was like the guy you know - ran 4:56 in the mile but 16:20 for 5K....the girls could take him in the 400. Jeff/Gopher Ryan - in order to get into the 40's I'll probably have to double 2x/week. The extra 5 to 7 miles I can get out of that will make a difference, otherwise I'd have to do all 6 and 7 mile slower runs and it won't be as effective if I can't get at least one tempo run in there.
                          Count me in...
                            Week of 3/16: 79 miles. Key workouts: 1.) 12.6 mi with 5 x 1 mile and 4 x 200, 2.) Hilly 20 miler 4 weeks to Boston. Welcome pfetro, your 5:01 for 1600m time trial bodes well for sub 17.

Runners run

Ran the inaugural Pasadena Half Marathon yesterday in the rain and the wind, and hilly course. Set a PR at 1:23:09. Translates to 17:58 using the McMillan Calculator. 5k Pr is 17:52. Got some work to do...
                              Mishka-old log

I'll toss some workouts out there too for anyone interested. I think I'm on track for sub 17 on 4/25. Last week: Repetition session - 1600/1200/800/400/4x200, fast, very long recoveries (3:30-4:00) Tempo - 4.5 mile (4 x 1.15 mile loop) This week (plan): Interval session - 4 to 5x1000, 5k goal pace, 90 sec recoveries Tempo - 4.5 mile (4 x 1.5 mile loop) Starting to kick up total weekly miles as well. Miles have been low for injury prevention. I've been doing low miles, high intensity, lots of recovery. The idea was to supplement with good chunk of cycling, but I haven't been able to motivate myself to get on the bike much. I feel like I'm safely handling this level of training now, so I'm just going to start sprinkling in the running miles.