How long do you warm up / cool down for a Tempo run? (Read 268 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

after harder workouts, will reduce the risk of fainting/dizziness from a sudden stop.

I agree with this part, from first hand experiences.

Personally I found 1-2 minutes of walking post hard-workout is sufficient for me though

Hugerat

I agree with this part, from first hand experiences.

Personally I found 1-2 minutes of walking post hard-workout is sufficient for me though

I agree with this. The case for at least a modest warmup is pretty clear, but I've never noticed any meaningful benefit from a cooldown more than just a few minutes of walking. There are all kinds of stories about it helping with injury prevention, and heading off soreness by removing lactate buildup from the muscles but I've never noticed any pattern between how extensively I cool down, and when or whether I get sore or injured.

Feeling the growl again

Jeff's post was good.

Personally, I average around 2 miles for both warmup and cooldown.  Sometimes 3 on warmup if I have time...largely why I don't do 3 more often is time constraints.

Frankly if you are doing over 3 for either purpose you are probably doing it for a different purpose altogether...I can't see a true warmup or cooldown taking more than ~3 miles.  If you want to tack on to reach a certain length of the run that is fine, but it's not because you need it for cooldown purposes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hmmm... in cases where I'm going for mileage and sandwich some T running in the middle, I think my brain has just been categorizing the stuff after as "more easy running" and not specifically a "cool down".

This (for me). I don't think I really care about a cooldown per se much at all - I just like adding some easy running, esp. if there are people to do it with.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Chris T

Ok, here's a somewhat related question-

From a physiological standpoint, what is the difference between a 10 minute cool-down jog and a 10 minute walk?

Today my schedule called for a 1 mile warm-up, 6 miles @ tempo pace, and a 1 mile cool-down. After the tempo work I wasn't really feeling the cool-down jog. Instead I comfortably walked about .65 of a mile home.

What did I miss?

dennrunner

I'll warm up for 1-1.5 miles for a track workout, but not much at all for a tempo run.  The first mile of my tempo run is slower than the remaining miles, but it's still fairly close to the overall tempo pace.  And it's unusual if my cool down is over a half mile for a tempo run, a bit longer for a track workout.

For me, I've never felt the benefit of a longer warmup or cool down.  Other people apparently do benefit.

For a race (<=10K), I like to be more warmed up than for a typical tempo or track workout. As for a cool down after a race, usually not much. I mostly just keeping moving...and might jog a bit later that day.

npaden

Thanks for the input everyone.

I did a 2 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down on my run tonight and it felt fine.  Not sure I noticed any difference from the 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down, but for sure didn't hurt anything.

I think it would be pretty smart to keep the 2 mile warm up especially if it was a true Tempo run rather than these Marathon Pace Tempo runs they have in the Hansons Plan.

I think I'll just play it by ear and if it's a nice warm evening and I have other things going on I might still stick with the 1 mile warm up and if it's a chilly morning and I don't have anything pressing on the agenda I might do a 2 mile warm up.

I could split the difference at 1.5 miles, but then I would have to set up a workout program on my phone and I would rather just run an extra 1/2 mile than mess with that.

Thanks, Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

CMJHawk86

I'm following the Hansons Plan training for my marathon and they suggest 1 to 3 miles of warmup and 1 to 3 miles of cool down for their marathon pace training runs.

I've been doing 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down and haven't had any issues or problems.  Should I increase this?

Any reason to other than adding some miles?  What if I did a 2 mile warm up and a 1 mile cool down?

My marathon pace is far from fast so not sure if it doesn't matter as much for me as it would for someone running much faster.  My goal marathon pace is 8:45 and my easy pace is around 10:00 right now.

I have also been doing 1 mile w/u & c/d as part of Hansons but may extend the warmup more. In many cases it just depends on time for me. For example tonight on a cold windy night I was on our basement treadmill and I needed to get the workout done - the "meat" of it was a 5 mile MP run - before DW got home. She's training for Cherry Blossom at the same time I train for Boston. So 1 mile on each end was all I felt I could get in. But two nights ago on the Tuesday interval workout at the track I went 1600 for the warmup, then did some dynamic warmup stuff, a few 30m fly-ins, then another 400 jog before starting into the heart of the workout (6x800 with 400 recoveries). Finished up with a 1600 cooldown. The longer warmup seemed to prime me pretty well.

J-L-C

If it's my second run of the day I don't need to warm up at all though I might run moderately for 5-10 mins if I have to get to the place I'm doing a tempo.

If it's first thing in the morning I'll warm up anywhere from 15-30 mins. And sometimes that's not even enough!

I don't ever really "cool down", though. I just run back to wherever I need to go or to finish up as many miles as I had planned for the day. If I'm still feeling good that part will be at a brisk pace. If I'm dead-tired from the workout that might be a bit slower.

the kenyan

Anywhere from 1-2 miles for warmup + however long it takes me to get back for a cooldown.  I try to allow myself about a mile, sometimes it ends up being less.  My apartment is on top of a 600m hill, so walking the last part is still a decent cooldown Wink

DoppleBock

To me anyplace is a good place to start a Tempo ... Well I guess I do not have to deal with any traffic or intersections etc.  As long as I run north or south its all good running.

It's mostly about mileage padding, but another possibility is that the nearest good place to start a tempo run is 2-3 miles from their house. I have to run about 2.5 miles to get to a good place to start a tempo. There the extra miles are more about transportation than warming up or cooling down.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

True dat - although I think it takes me @ 4 miles to get everything warmed up ... after that it is to get total mileage where I want it for the run.  Cooldown - 1 mile is nice, 2 miles is plenty and any over 2 is a crowd.

Jeff's post was good.

Personally, I average around 2 miles for both warmup and cooldown.  Sometimes 3 on warmup if I have time...largely why I don't do 3 more often is time constraints.

Frankly if you are doing over 3 for either purpose you are probably doing it for a different purpose altogether...I can't see a true warmup or cooldown taking more than ~3 miles.  If you want to tack on to reach a certain length of the run that is fine, but it's not because you need it for cooldown purposes.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Zelanie

I've noticed that it's usually around the 2 mile mark on my easy runs that things start to feel really good and smooth. So I figure that 2 miles makes sense as a warmup for quality work too. I cool down for about a mile, generally enough to get to the next round number, mlieage-wise. I figure learning to clear the extra lactic acid while running and how to recover at a jog might have some benefit. Plus cool down runs are generally pretty enjoyable.

runnergirl9508

Usually 2 miles for the warmup and 2 for cool down. My favorite tempo workout is 2 x 3 miles at tempo pace with 1 mile at marathon pace between. It's hard, 11 miles total with warmup and cool down miles, but such a confidence boost!

5K: 19:15       Half: 1:29:35       Marathon: 3:13:08

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Typically, 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down.