Where my queers at? (Read 2078 times)

obiebyke

Hi all, I'm interested in starting a user group for the L, G, B, and T among us, but I want to see if there's interest first. The running world, like the rest of the world, can look different for us. I'd love to discuss issues such as flak you've gotten running in a gendered race (i.e. Nike Women's 26.2), pressure to be muscular and manly vs. lithe and runnerly in the gay community, and whatever else your hearts desire. Let's support each other! Ray

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

dfffff

Are you by any chance an Oberlin graduate?
      obiebyke

Indeed. You?

dfffff

Not yet. I'm a sophomore.
          obiebyke

PurpleHaze: Yay! Enjoy it in all its ridiculousness. I graduated four years ago and I miss (parts of) it. Interested in an LGBT user group? Everyone else: Statistically, based on the number of views so far, about a dozen LGBT people should have taken a look at this thread. Tongue Are y'all shy? Wink

dfffff

I'm definitely enjoying it. I'm dreading graduation already! I'm afraid I don't meet the qualifications for a LGBT group. Good luck, though!
              celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Some people may be gun shy to out themselves in such a public forum. If you'll take a bi chick, I'd be interested in being in such a group.

Chris
                PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

obiebyke

Right on. I think you're right about the shyness. I think I'm just going to go ahead and set up a user group and password protect it, so it's not public. Stupid homophobia. And of course you're welcome! You're the B in LGBT! Big grin

Cause I CAN

I'm definitely enjoying it. I'm dreading graduation already! I'm afraid I don't meet the qualifications for a LGBT group. Good luck, though!
                    me either but saw thread subject and had to see....good luck
                    Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                    http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
                    obiebyke

Okay. CeliacChris had a good point about confidentiality. I've gone ahead and started a password-protected, private user group called Run with Pride. If you'd like to join, email me at runwithpride@att.net. Looking forward to (hopefully) getting something started! URL: http://runningahead.com/groups/LGBT

Oh Mighty Wing

I'm joining your group because i'm an LGBT ally. Support doesn't have a gender preference.
                        obiebyke

ShanHas-- Right on! Allies rock!

obiebyke

RE: CONFIDENTIALITY I wish we lived in a world where everyone could be out and not worry about it. But we don't. Sad To that end, and to make sure everyone who wants to can participate without fear of being outed, the membership of this group will be confidential. I'm very, very out, and might post occasionally (like I did today) on the general boards, to invite people or talk about pride runs or whatever, but I won't use anyone else's real or user name. I also won't use your personal emails after replying with the password, unless you give me permission in the group forum.

Len

Damn Yankee

Just out of curiousity, is queer an acceptable term to use in everyday life to describe an individual's preferences? In the politically correct society in which we live, I wonder if your choice of thread title is a challenge or simply a way of attracting the attention of those who might share your lifestyle.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just out of curiousity, is queer an acceptable term to use in everyday life to describe an individual's preferences? In the politically correct society in which we live, I wonder if your choice of thread title is a challenge or simply a way of attracting the attention of those who might share your lifestyle.
                                From my Lit classes back in college (taught by my very favorite prof, who also happens to be lesbian), "queer" has been adopted by the LGBT community as a term they comfortably use, for the most part. There is a form of literary theory referred to as "queer theory," just as there is Marxist theory, Postcolonial theory, Psychoanalytical Theory, etc. *sigh* I really miss my Lit classes... Sad

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay