First Marathon (Read 793 times)

Hi Everyone, I was looking into running a marathon in November. I was an avid runner a couple of years ago and because of work, etc, it tapered (practically to nothing), but now I'm back and better than ever! I had to start out running two and three milers (at the beginning of the month) to get myself back into shape, but now my long runs are up to five milers and I feel really good. it really is much easier when you are trying to get back into it than it is to just be starting out. After I get back from vacation next week I plan to put myself on a 5K schedule from CR. I was looking at the beginners marathon schedule and it looked reasonable. Am I going too fast? It is a 20wk scheduleand the pre-traning schedule shouldn't be a problem for me. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/130.shtml I really just don't want to overdo it, but at the same time, I worry that next year I won't have the time! Thanks for any advice you can give me! Gin

2012 Goals: Get back into it after having a baby! Prep for a 1/2 marathon

If you have to ask if you're overdoing it then you probably are overdoing it. The CR beginners marathon program is one of the more intense programs out there. They aren't kidding when they recommend that you need to be comfortable running 20-25 mile weeks before attempting it. The first time I used that program I had been at 25 mpw for an entire year and it was still a challenge to complete. It's pretty reasonable at the beginning but makes some major increases in mileage and intensity toward the end. Properly training for a marathon is a major challenge. I would suggest not attempting one in your first year back at running. Spend the time developing your base and training for shorter races to gain both conditioning and experience. You'll enjoy the marathon experience more and be more likely to continue running afterward. What good is running if you don't make it a permanent part of your lifestyle? Tom
        Hey Gin, If you are going to be too busy next year--what about the year after--or 10 yrs after? My point? Please take your time. Marathons are going to be around--no need to hurry. The tendency for lots of folks is to come back and do too much--too soon. Might be wiser to just run--build a solid base of running and plan for marathons on down the road. IF, you suffer from the immediate gratification of wants--"I want what I want when I want it" there are numerous training programs that could have you ready for a December marathon. I like to advise folks to take their time and become lifetime runners. Way too many folks get hyped-- run a marathon way too soon and join the largest running club in the world--"I use to run but....club". Can I brag? I just ran a marathon faster than I did on my first one 30 yrs ago (3:57:47 vs 3:58:00). If you want to be a lifetime runner--you have lots of time. At 64--you have way more time than I do. Smile and have fun. Nick

phzzzzzzzzzzz

You may be over doing it. If you think you are, just hold your current level for a few weeks and start ramping up slower. It's better to build up a little slower than get injured and not be able to do anything. As for the marathon, I think that depends on your goal for the race. Do you just want to finish, or do you want to run a sub-3 hour race? You can probably build up to complete the race and have fun if your goals for this one are modest.
            Hi Everyone, I was looking into running a marathon in November. I was an avid runner a couple of years ago and because of work, etc, it tapered (practically to nothing), but now I'm back and better than ever! I had to start out running two and three milers (at the beginning of the month) to get myself back into shape, but now my long runs are up to five milers and I feel really good. it really is much easier when you are trying to get back into it than it is to just be starting out. After I get back from vacation next week I plan to put myself on a 5K schedule from CR. I was looking at the beginners marathon schedule and it looked reasonable. Am I going too fast? It is a 20wk scheduleand the pre-traning schedule shouldn't be a problem for me. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/130.shtml I really just don't want to overdo it, but at the same time, I worry that next year I won't have the time! Thanks for any advice you can give me! Gin
            I was going to make a comment to a young kid who wants to run a marathon and got mixed up and ended up here; but I'd rather help out a beautful young lady like yourself so what the heck...! ;o) Actually I don't think you're over-doing it. Well, sorta... It depends. You said you once were an avid runner a couple of years ago. I guess a lot depends on what level of "avid runner" you were then. When you build up your condition and fitness level; then take some time off, even 4 or 5 years, and then try to come back; you'll notice that same old feeling as shortness of breath, rapid heart beat and soreness in your legs... But it will NOT take nearly as long to get back to a much higher level--almost to the point where you've left off. Probably the only thing would be sore legs. You'll lose muscular-skeltal strength a lot more and more rapidly than your aerobic fitness. What happens here is; with all the running you've done, you have developed vast network of capillaries in the working muscles, mainly legs in our case. When you stop running, they will (almos) all clog up; but they are still there. With a bit of a push later on, they'll open up much quicker than creating new ones. So you've already done that homework (or hopefully you have). I'm not talking about being an avid runner of running 3 times a week for a couple of miles of walk/jog and cross train a few more times. I'm talking about the level where you've gone an hour or more a few times a month. I've posted my comment somewhere else; I do not think long runs are over-rated at all. There are a lot of things that you could achieve by doing a long run of an hour or more than lots of short runs--short runs do have their merits as well though. If you HAVE gone up to the point where you can run an hour or more comfortably, regardless of the pace, yes, you HAVE done your basic homework and, with 20 weeks preparation, there would be plenty of time for you to prepare for the first marathon. I think men and women are different in our temperament as well as some physical make-ups that it is most likely much easier for women to prepare for the marathon than men. You would want to test the water a little bit by going for a long run a few times. Depending on your current level (going for an hour regularly, or 30 minutes is pretty much your max, or beyond an hour...), you might want to schedule a couple of runs of 1:30 in duration. Start out very slow to make sure you can finish. Contrary to a lot of "popular" schedules out there, I don't believe in doing intervals or tempo runs for those who want to "finish"--and I'm actually talking about finishing respectively. Long runs and intermediate "recovery" runs would be critical. If you CAN do another medium long run during the week, all the power to you. I believe most of those "popular" beginner's scheduls are way too intense that, many of those who have followed, are too tired by the time they reach the start line. Hills, if done correctly and if you can get to the appropriate hills, can be very helpful by building strength in your legs. I don't think you need to run 40+ miles a week to successfully and reasonably comfortably finish the marathon; I don't believe you need to get up to 26 miles; I don't believe you need to do three 20-milers.... No, I don't think you're going too fast. The only "going too fast" you need to avoid is actual running pace when doing those long runs. Now back to that young kid...
            lostinthenet3

MM#1869

Funny you should post this some of these same toughts are going through my haed. I am Planning my first marathon in december. I plan on running vegas. I have been running for about a yr off and on really only consistly since october. My goal however is to just finish. I did a 1/2 recently and I now understand some of what i am in for. I have 3 more 1/2's planned and a bunch of 10k's. For me the goal will be just to finish. Two years ago I was over 400lbs then I started walking and jogging. My running is more of a jog than a true run. I run at a 10:30 pace so not very fast. I can walk at at 14 min pace. My plan is to do both as needed in my marathon attempt. Doug.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

I posted a variation of this in response to someone wanting to know if they could/should run an October marathon (it would be their first.) It's probably applicable to you. I say go for it. I think there is PLENTY of time -- IF you are committed and stick with a plan, whatever decent plan that may be. My wife and I (we live in the states) ran the Dublin Marathon last October. It was a blast. It was her first marathon and my first in 7 years. She was 39 when she ran it. I just turned 40. At the time she declared "let's run a marathon," we had just finished a 10 mile race in May. And I don't think she ever ran further than 10 miles before. If so, it was in high school cross country. So that's when her training really started. She'd essentially been training for the 10 miler from January, after a several month running layoff and only really picking it up a couple years ago. So basically, from not much above a zero base (well, she did walk, was/is thin, and did yoga, but hadn't been running-running in several months.) I was so proud of her. The marathon is mostly mental anyway. Either, you are mental for wanting to run one, or IF you are mental(lly prepared) you can run one - barring unforeseen physical injury. That's been my experience, anyway.
                  The marathon is mostly mental anyway. Either, you are mental for wanting to run one, or IF you are mental(lly prepared) you can run one - barring unforeseen physical injury. That's been my experience, anyway.
                  Let's not ignore the fact that the OP is currently doing 5 mile long runs and no where near your 50 mpw. While it may be mental for you, there are many major physical hurdles that she needs to overcome such as building enough base without getting injured and to avoid glycogen depletion in the 20+ mile runs and the marathon. No small obstacle for a new runner. Tom
                    Let's not ignore the fact that the OP is currently doing 5 mile long runs and no where near your 50 mpw. While it may be mental for you, there are many major physical hurdles that she needs to overcome such as building enough base without getting injured and to avoid glycogen depletion in the 20+ mile runs and the marathon. No small obstacle for a new runner. Tom
                    I stand by my post. When I first started running as an adult (well, not counting the time in my early 20s when, on a bar bet, I followed through with a plan to run a 10 mile race. Dropped running cold for several years.) I was not really active and was almost 30 years old and putting on a few pounds. Anyway, a couple coworkers that summer (June, I think) were talking about running the Philly marathon in October. I said, on the spot, Oh, I'll do that, too. It was the motivation to get in shape. So, I went from 0 miles (no base) to finding a plan, sticking with it (largely: I did twist an ankle and had a cold) and doing it. I would definitely put me at that point in the new runner category. Believe me, I am no superman. That's why I say, it's mostly mental. Of course, injury and the unforeseen can derail the best laid plans no matter what a person's base/experience is. (A broken pelvis sidelined me later, so did a snapped ACL and broken leg another time.) Also, I cited the case of my wife, who was returning to running in '07 from a near-nil base. Granted, when she decided to run a marathon (in May) she had developed a base, but she had less time to get ready than GinRun does. But as I said, I think GinRun's plenty of time to train for a November marathon. If she's mental Wink Sometimes it is good to listen to the voices in your head.
                      Wow! I got on the forum this morning and discovered all of these replies! Thanks! Also, thanks for the compliment, Nobby! I think what I'm going to do is build up my miles through March and start the beginners program after that. If I'm feeing good about it, I may sign up for a lesser-known marathon. I'm originally from the Harrisburg area and they have one in Oct, I think. It's not like NYC where you have to win a lottery and sign up a year (or two) in advance. Or, maybe I'll just wait and see how far I am next year! The last thing I want is an injury. It's just not worth it! BTW, when I slowed to a stop a few years ago, my longest run was 13 miles. I was planning to run a half but then work happened. YUCK! I have come back rather quickly, which surprised me. I never really stopped running but I was getting to the point where it was once or twice a week, a few miles at a time. I should have just kept it up instead of starting in February. The weather sucks! I just could be a couch potato any more! Thanks again, everyone. I really appreciate your advice.

Wow! I got on the forum this morning and discovered all of these replies!
                        Isn't this place great? BTW, I spent a year in Harrisburg (between living in Philly and now Pittsburgh.) I kinda miss it. Saw the marathon, too. Was no good reason I wasn't running it. Well, a crappy job that nearly destroyed my soul. No reason not to have stuck with running though.
                          Isn't this place great? BTW, I spent a year in Harrisburg (between living in Philly and now Pittsburgh.) I kinda miss it. Saw the marathon, too. Was no good reason I wasn't running it. Well, a crappy job that nearly destroyed my soul. No reason not to have stuck with running though.
                          Really? I grew up about an hour outside. WAY out in the middle of nowhere! Downtown is getting really nice, they are really cleaning it up. They have opened lots of restaurants and apartments/condos! I am there a lot even now, considering it is the closest thing to a city we have! Ahhh... Central PA...

A Saucy Wench

I grew up just south of Lancaster....

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Holy Pennsylvanians! Nice to meet you! I live in New York now but am a country girl at heart! I miss the mountains and driving along the Juniata in the summer... I must say, you have to leave to appreciate it, though.

How about that. I spent from 3rd grad to graduation @ Lancaster (went to L-S.) Parents still live near Willow Street, just south of the city.