My 10k (Read 111 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

yeah seriously...then again i do have an older model soleus...but i guess even the best ones arent super accurate...do you think the online maps are? i use onthegomap.com

You can map routes right here on RA.  It's under Resources -> Measure Route (https://www.runningahead.com/maps).  The accuracy is probably much of a muchness whether it's onthegomap or mapmyrun or runningahead. GPS accuracy has its own problems, and the device you're using probably won't make much difference, either. But really, my point is, why do you need super accuracy?  It's just running.

Actual certified race courses are actually quite accurate if you follow the tangents, but even they are required to be just a tad long, so that no one can claim a better time than they actually earned.

Nothing on this earth can be measured with 100% accuracy.

Gizmo2019

True...

I need to know the most accurate distance for no reason other than I’m obsessed with numbers and accuracy. But I’m starting to get that it’s “just running.”

this week for the first time in over a year I ran without a goal in mind and it was liberating, not to mention I didn’t have to record any data.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

i just mapped out my last long run...i guess i DIDNT exactly run 10 miles...:-/ oh well! mine is about .16-.23 mi off. i guess it depends on how many curves there are..? i guess ill have to learn to use my manual lapper too then. same happened to me, my watch kept beeping earlier than the mile markers.

Margin of error on many Garmins is 1-3% so a Garmin distance of 6.43 miles on a certified 10K course is reasonable.  Add in a little extra for not running the tangents perfectly and the .1% factor in certification to ensure the course is at least the certified distance and it's what I would expect.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

this week for the first time in over a year I ran without a goal in mind and it was liberating, not to mention I didn’t have to record any data.

My wife sometimes reminds me that it's actually possible to run without a computer strapped to your wrist. Smile

Gizmo2019

Ha! She is right! I remember yrs ago, running, then measuring the distance with my cars odometer (driving along the path I ran).