anyone NOT hit the wall during marathon? (Read 7529 times)

GST

You always here its going to happen...has it ever not happened? I was fine during the marathon but hit it hard during one of my 20 mile runs, at about mile 18...it was like I just couldnt make myself move or like I had to think of putting one foot in front of the other, it became that bad. I explained to my friend what happened and he said you call that the wall...and asked if I had drank enough...which guilty I did not...so I made sure from then on to have plenty of stuff with me to drink and with the exception of the first water stop in the marathon, I stopped at every one of them and drank both water and gatoraid, and had some GU...never saw the wall...at least that one anyway Around mile 24, the soreness I had been feeling went from tolorable to bad crampping in my legs.

I have seldom hit the wall in the marathon....   I certainly haven't in a properly paced/fueled one...

JimR

You always here its going to happen...has it ever not happened?

Absolutely.  For me it was #3.  At 40k I was still sailing right along and realized there would be no wall on that day.

GACK.  didn't realize this was a resurrected post.

On October 19, 2008 I hit the wall at exactly the 26.2 mile marker.  Nailed it.

Runners run

kcam

I've hit the wall a few times and I've avoided it a few times, had nothing to do with 'proper fueling' and everything to do with the right training for the pace I ran.
          xor

On October 19, 2008 I hit the wall at exactly the 26.2 mile marker.  Nailed it.

Hee.

(235 marathons and ultras; have hit the wall 3 times that I remember.  Unfortunately, one of those times was two weeks ago and it sucked big donkey hooves).

((You thought I was going to say something else))

A Saucy Wench

I've hit the wall a few times and I've avoided it a few times, had nothing to do with 'proper fueling' and everything to do with the right training for the pace I ran.

+1

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

DoppleBock

Never hit the glycogen wall in a marathon

I have in half marathons, where I have tried to go in only half loaded with Glycogen.

I have had droping performance from lactic acid build up, fatigue and dehydration - Or an 1-2 or 3 of them.  But that is not hitting the wall.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

The King of Beasts

I have, and it aint pretty.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You could have run harder.

protoplasm72

Nope, most of mine look like this. These are the splits from my best marathon (flat course). Mile 10 was a bathroom break and I think mile 5 was miss marked.

8:04; 8:10; 8:05; 8:44; 7:46; 8:03; 8:05; 8:02; 8:02; 9:13; 8:10; 7:58; 7:56; 7:46; 8:05; 8:17; 8:17; 8:13; 8:06; 8:01; 8:12; 8:17; 9:05; 10:19; 9:18; 9:18; 2:05

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

DoppleBock

You could have run harder.

I generally gain 10 pounds in the loading process

At monkey, I could have run harder - I was scared - I saved the hard running after I walked the mile 24 hill.

In some others I could not have - I also take 5-6 gels + drink sports drink in race -

Most people confuse the glycogen depletion wall with fatigue, lactic acid build up or dehydration - Protoplasm is a good example - You would not run 2 9:18's at the end if it were the Glycogen depletion wall. (IMHO)

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

lap

I've never hit the wall during a marathon.

And like most people, I've never run a marathon.

protoplasm72

Most people confuse the glycogen depletion wall with fatigue, lactic acid build up or dehydration - Protoplasm is a good example - You would not run 2 9:18's at the end if it were the Glycogen depletion wall. (IMHO)

At the very least I hit the fence    But you're right, I'd say I slowed down because of horrible muscle pain more then lack of energy.  Maybe I shouldn't of dropped those sub 8 miles around the halfway mark.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A true glycogen depletion bonk is not stiff legs.  It is not getting woozy.  It is not losing your ability to lift your feet.

A true glycogen bonk, when your body totally runs out of the energy sources required to operate its most basic functions.  Everything goes dark.  Like a long heavy tunnel collapsing around you.  All you want to do is lay down and die, except you can barely even process that want.  You may see flashing lights, or bright rings, or just that deafening darkness.  It is unlike just about any other experience.  It would be scary, except you don't even have the strength to experience fear.

And your pace will drop at least 30% as your body tries desperately to burn fat to keep you alive and moving.

But with just a bit of sugar, it goes away.  You remain weak, but can kinda carry on.  Problem is, you generally can't even logic through that.

You always here its going to happen...has it ever not happened?..."

Yes, almost all.

My first marathon had me so worried about "the wall" that I kept wondering when I was going to hit it.  When the 20-mile aid station guy said "Man, you look fresh", that just energized me.  I hit the afterburners, upped my pace by over 1.5 minutes/mile, and started passing people like mad.  What a rush.  I still remember it as my "most enjoyable" marathon because of those last 6.2 miles.