First Time Marathon Post Injury (Read 644 times)

Patagoniarunner

Looking for advice. I was running 20-25 miles a week in January, in early February suffered a set back with runners knee (hurt to even walk up the stairs in my house). I took a little more than a month off and started back, built up a little too soon and had to take almost a month off. I started running a week ago, started at 2 miles every other day, and I am aiming to add 10% a week. This should put me at 3 miles every other day and maybe a couple of weeks of a "long" run of 4-4.5 miles by the first week of August. 

I had hoped to run a Marathon in December and to start Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon training plan I should be closer to 6 on a long run. My question for the running community is, am I crazy to try attempt the marathon? Or should I just take the rest of the year to rebuild to where I was and attempt a marathon next year? I'd hate to hurt my knee again and take time off.

ADM

day after day sameness

December is a long way off. You're not crazy to start working on getting to marathon endurance. You're crazy if get back to having to take time off due to injury from blindly hammering away, however -- so managing your build-up and listening to your body's response should be your #1 goal.

By the way, the old 10% rule may be bunk, according to this article in the NY Times.

I've done my best to live the right way; I get up every morning and go to work each day...

I'd also be looking into those strengthening exercises (for your quads) pretending as if you still have it, to ensure it doesn't come back as you increase your mileage. 

You need to figure out why you were injuring your knee, or you'll just do it again. As MilkTruck via the article said, it wasn't necessarily because you ramped up mileage too fast.  It could be your shoes, your form, inadequate strength in certain muscles, notably in the hips, something about the way you're running...you'll probably need professional help from someone like an exercise physiologist, or at least a running coach.  Good luck!

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.