Beginner again.... (Read 114 times)

Hi everyone!  I have been a runner on and off for most of my adult life... on and off because of various different things- childbirth, injury, illness and so on.  I was most recently sidelined 3 years ago, when I ran a half marathon with pneumonia.  I felt a little under the weather that morning, but I just thought it was pre-race jitters.  Well, by the time I finished, I knew something was very wrong.  10 days of antibiotics for that.  In the months that followed, I developed two more bouts of pneumonia, and one of which started as influenza, and quickly escalated to the point where I ended up in the ER with a fever of 104.6F.  Scary!  Once I finally got my lungs healthy again, I started getting terrible sinus infections- I was on antibiotics five times in nine months.  At that point, I made some massive changes to my diet, and slowly started to work on gaining some strength again.  I think my dietary changes made a huge difference- I've been incredibly healthy since, but it's been a long journey...

I got the running bug again this summer after injuring my right shoulder while weight training.  I couldn't weight train, do yoga, swim, do ballet, or any of the other activities I had been participating in, so I got back on the C25k train.  It was a real mental game at first- running for just one minute at a time almost felt embarrassing, after years of running much longer distances, but I stuck with it.  I'm just starting week 8 right now, and I'm feeling really good.

Anyway- I always liked this forum, and the running log, so I decided to come back.  I'm looking forward to SLOWLY rebuilding my base (I'm very susceptible to shin splints, so I have no intention of rushing this!), and getting to know all of you!  Smile

Back in the saddle, after three years off...

Goals- To stay healthy and uninjured...

Welcome back, Catwoman.

Sounds like you are off to good start. I find the C25K style plan a great way to either start or re-start running after a long lay off.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

running metalhead

Welcome back Wink

I couldn't weight train, do yoga, swim, do ballet, or any of the other activities I had been participating in ,

Same but only for weight (and kettlebells). I'm doing yoga and pilates instead. Got a biceps tendinopathy, but I just use bandages, I hope it heals as I have a rather high pain tolerance and I wouldn't be able to say if this "itch" is just that, a bit of itching or that my arm is falling off. Anyway, Welcome back Wink

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

pillowmaker

Welcome back.

Hope that this new starting will bring about a health to you. :-)