Planche Pushup Training (Read 1390 times)

Just Be

Inspired by another thread in these forums I decided to take on planche training. I'll update you all with my progress. Right now, I can do about 2 sets of 20 "pseudo pushups" and that's about it. My shoulders currently hurt pretty bad from doing that 1 day ago. I'm assuming that it'll take about 1 year before I can do a real planche pushup. I'm also going to simultaneously train to do a plank pullup. This should be interesting... Big grin Tongue
    JakeKnight

Godspeed. I shall pray for low humidity.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Just Be

Thanks Smile I'll need that low humidity to keep my hands from sweating too much if I don't have any chalk available! Evil grin

Just Be

Reasons I created this post: 1. Accountability 2. These exercises single handedly replace about 20 of my current core exercises (well, hopefully). 3. For the challenge - to prove to myself that I can do them. I have longer arms and legs than most so if I can achieve these then it should prove that most anyone who sets their mind on a goal like this should be able to achieve it as well. 4. They’re freakin’ awesome! Imagine having a skill that 99% of the world doesn’t have! Those are the primary reasons. I’ll keep posting here with updates about my progress! Right now, I’m looking for a good tree in my neighborhood that I can use for a pull up bar so that I don’t have to install one in my house. Going to the gym is too inconvenient for me to be doing it 7 days a week just for the pull up bar, because eventually, that is what the plank pull up training will require.

Just Be

Found a good tree to use as a pullup bar! Cool My rotator cuffs are so sore today - haven't done any more training since the first set on Sunday. Hopefully the soreness will be gone by Thurs for my scheduled regular weight day.
              Sore from the pseudo pushups? I've never had soreness there, but everyone's different and it always hurts most where you're weakest. Make sure not to hurt yourself, and ease into it with more shorter sets. I'm currently not working the planche progression stuff, but trying to get my pullups back up after a couple of months of no strength work after my son was born. I prioritized my running over strength work, and even my running got spotty in those first couple of months.
              Brandon

Just Be

Best of luck to you with your pullups! Yeah, my arms are pretty sore. I'm hoping that after the soreness goes away in a day or two that they won't get sore anymore from the pseudo pushups but I imagine that I will have one more bout of muscle soreness lasting a day or two after the next session. Then I can add a day every week or so until I'm doing them 6 to 7 days a week.
                  If you are doing gymnastic exercises, 3-4 days per week is recommended. You should not train everyday. For great advices how to plan your training, please, read following forum and maybe even ask their advice how to proceed with your chosen training. http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/

Just Be

Hey, thanks for the link! Smile I imagine that I'll just take all the advice available online and use it as the core basis of my final training plan, but make it fit in a way that works best for me. I'll still start by trying to work up to 7 days per week of training, whether it be some combo of dynamic or static x number of days/wk, but I'm sure that after a few months I'll settle in on what works best for me and that there's a good chance it'll be no more than 4 days/wk. As an update, I still have yet to attempt any more pseudo pushups because (I think it's tendon soreness) my rotator cuffs are still kinda sore. I'm hoping that by Sunday afternoon (7 full days later) the pain from the first session will finally be gone.
                      Aye, static training can be really taxing to the body. It is easy to underestimate its influence. Total training time of 1min per exercise does not sound that long time, but it can cause high stress to the joints, especially during early stages. I am using, mostly, static exercises as a support for my yoga practice. It took me a year to get my wrist safely to stand up the handstand punishment. I needed to keep few weeks of rest here and there during first half a year. Now, no problems any more. Take it slowly and your body shall thank you later Wink

Just Be

I'm most worried about my blood pressure during the holds, as weird as that may sound. I have a feeling that even with my best effort at breathing that the systolic might jump above 200! Tongue I guess strain will lighten with practice and muscle development, but from what I remember from last Sunday, it felt like I was about to pop a blood vessel in my head, and I was not holding my breath! Surprised

Just Be

I just realized I probably should have posted this in the Cross Training forum. Tongue Is there any way to have it moved? Anyway, today I started the front lever training and tried the static planche tucks with my knees resting on my elbows. I could only hold the static tuck for about 2 seconds before falling forward and face planting on a pillow that I put in front of me for that reason. Balance is a major issue right now, but I think that my lack of skill in that department comes from my total lack of strength as it applies to this maneuver. Toward the end I tried resting my head on pillows so that they would hold me in approximately the right position and even with them keeping me balanced I could only hold the position for about 5 seconds before my muscles would give out. As far as the front lever tuck hold, I was able to hold that for about 15 seconds, and really felt it well in my rear delts. All I can say is, this is going to take quite some time!

Just Be

Today I managed to sustain teh frog stand static hold for 15 seconds before crash landing on my face! My previous personal best was 6 seconds. All of the sudden it just felt like something clicked and I figured out how to sustain the hold. I still lost my balance and fell face forward before the muscle burn forced me to stop, but it was actually close that time! I'm excited! I've worked up to the static frog stand holds about 5 days per week and now I have minimal delayed onset muscle soreness (increments of as many seconds as I can hold totaling 60 seconds before I stop). I'm doing the tucked front lever holds for the same increments of 60 seconds total time but only about 3 to 4 days per week still, as my rear delts and triceps are still complaining a lot about them. EDIT: I held the front lever tuck for 28 seconds this morning, which was the longest sustained hold time to date.