Will Spira shoes help my knees? (Read 658 times)

Tiefsa

Hello, I have some problems with my knees and tendonitis. Any time I have ever tried to go up in mileage, my knees flare up. They were always great until I had to have arthroscopic surgery on both of them for tearing cartalidge. I didn't tear cartalidge running, I hurt one in a work accident, and the other playing baseball. Anyways, do Spira shoes really help reduce the impact on your joints. I would love it if this were true. I also am making a website http:www.tips4running.com and would like to get some info on this shoe because of all the hype. So, should I get some? Confused I like my asics, but I also would like to run more. Take care - Coach Tief
    mikeymike

I haven't tried them but my own experience with shoes is the less the better when it comes to your knees. My knees tend to do best when I stick with lightweight, neutral shoes--even racing flats. I think they force me to run with good form and land with my foot right under my center of mass, etc. The muscles in your legs are much better at absorbing/reducing impact forces than any shoe ever could be. My .02.

Runners run

Half Fanatic #846

I wore Spira Volares a year or so ago, but strictly for the long-term cushoning (I didn't have knee problems I was trying to resolve, so I really can't answer your question). They did seem to be much heavier than normal, although Spira does make a lighter racer I believe. But like mikeymike, I've been going more and more to lightweight minimal shoes/flats and also some barefoot running. I believe the body (feet and legs) normally does a better job of cushioning than any shoe can. Good luck with the knee issues!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!