Tempo almost every time ok? (Read 1012 times)

In the 3 years I've been running, I've haven't paid attention to training plans, etc., just ran what I felt like running. I mark every run as "easy" unless it's a hard route, or "long" if it's over 10 miles. I've ignored that "tempo" category and just recently did a real fartlek run. My general approach has been to run as fast as my body tells me I can every time, which means some runs are faster than others, but they are all generally close in pace. In the hope of improving my race time, I started looking at other people's logs who have run the same or better pace than me at various race distances, and I discovered that duh, people really don't train like I do. They really do use "tempo" runs, they go slower on other runs, and "hill" doesn't have the same meaning that I give it (a hilly route). Who knew (besides probably 99% of you reading this) Smile? My question to all of you experienced people out there is am I potentially preventing myself from increasing my speed with my "almost-every-run-a-tempo run" approach with no "recovery" runs? Or does that really not matter when you are only running 25-30 mpw?

Double IPA Please!

Yes, it matters. Almost all of your runs should be done at an easy pace. Running all out or at a Tempo pace spells out eventual injury or burnout. What you do and how you run in terms of speed etc, depends on what your goals are. I'm sure you will get more responses as this is a very popular topic of discussion. You could also use the search function above and to the right to do some searches on the topic while you are waiting for others to show up and give their opinions as well.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

to the OP: what do you consider a tempo? different people have different ideas about what a tempo is. the thing is, you say you run what you feel like. You run as fast as your body tells you, which is great. there is nothing wrong with that. at all. that's pretty much how i always have run, and it's worked wonders for me. now, my answer for a tempo: I consider a run a tempo if the pace is with in 15 seconds per mile of my race pace for that distance. ( like for a 5k, you run a 3 mile tempo at 6:15 pace, but your actually race pace is 6:00)
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If I'm reading correctly, OP has recorded a 10K PR at around 8min/mi, but is also recording easy runs at around 8min/mi. By contrast, my recent 10K PR is about 6:40min/mi, and my easy paces are around 8min/mi. So my easy runs are over a min/mi slower than my 10K PR.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Lane

I think that what the OP is doing is fine. It's been working for 3 years, and it's been working fine, so I don't see any reason why he shouldn't continue. He's not burning out or getting injured, so what's the problem? MTA: More running=faster. Start running more, but add mileage little by little, and you should be fine.

A Saucy Wench

Most people find that they develop increases in speed better when they DONT do every run hard. The easy runs provide active recovery to working muscles. Even if you dont get injured or FEEL burned out, you may find yourself not making much in the way of gains. Working easy most of the time allows you to work HARD when it is time to work hard and make the most out of those tempo/interval/fartlek/race sessions and actually get something out of them. If you are working too hard all the time you dont have extra to give when it counts. I ran for years the way the OP states and I didnt think I was injured or burned out. But I never got any faster until I slowed the hell down 90% of the time.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Thanks for the responses, everyone.
                to the OP: what do you consider a tempo? different people have different ideas about what a tempo is.)
                Now that I'm paying attention to it, I would define it like you do...within 15-30 s/m of my race pace. My slower times (more towards the 30 s/m end) are generally on my trails runs, which are harder for me. But I'm still putting out the same amount of effort, not intentionally slowing down. I do not run all out on my runs...I am not dead tired at the end, and I generally feel like I could go further. I haven't been using the label "easy" the way others might...I use it to label the difficulty of my course, not my level of effort. So, most of my runs I label "easy" unless they are "hill"y. That's probably a little confusing if you are looking at my log.

Hawt and sexy

If all you are willing to commit is 30 mpw, just do what you want. The only drawback is it might increase your chance of injury, but if you think you are fine where you are and are meeting your goals then why change. If you ever get hurt or do not meet your goals, then look for something new, but in the meantime, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm touching your pants.

I think that what the OP is doing is fine. It's been working for 3 years, and it's been working fine, so I don't see any reason why he shouldn't continue. He's not burning out or getting injured, so what's the problem? MTA: More running=faster. Start running more, but add mileage little by little, and you should be fine.
                    Define working. Roll eyes

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

hmm... the thought that comes to mind is aerobic fitness... doing all your work outside of the aerobic zone could sacrifice aerobic fitness...
                      JakeKnight

No. Not okay. Yes. It's affecting your performance. What you're doing is the equivalent of someone bench pressing every single day of the week. If you do that, your gains maximize quickly and you plateau - just as you've done. When I started running (again) four years ago, I could barely run 4 miles, I could run about a 26:00 5k. And I was running *all* of my runs at 8:30 pace or so. Until a friend - a 3:30 marathoner at the time - explained how it works. He pointed out that while he could run circles around me in a race, most of his training runs were more like 9 - 9:30 pace. Except his twice a week speedwork. I now routinely run that slow, even 10+ pace on very easy or recovery runs. Pick up any book by any of the major writers. Daniels or Lydiard or Higdon or Pfitzinger or whoever. Take your pick. They'll all explain why what you're doing won't work, if you want to get faster. If you're just having fun and like running at that pace, knock yourself out. But if you want to get faster, you need to have hard days hard, easy days easy. And hard days should be no more than 2-3 days per week. Max. Most of your runs should be gentle. Go find a poster named Candice. Ask her what happened when she finally listened to all the advice to slow down on most of her runs. The improvement was pretty dramatic. And all she did was vary the pace of her workouts, and run her easy days easier.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

obsessor

with that plan, you will progress quickly, then stagnate just as quickly. Is it not so? I've tried it, too. No big deal, bro. Listen to these other fine folks.
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I can almost guarantee you that you'll have faster races if you slow down on your easy days, gradually increase your mileage, and if you so choose, do some harder stuff a couple times a week. Improvement comes when you stress your body and recover. Running too fast every day removes recovery from that equation and will stunt your improvement. You don't need to be religious about it, but a running calculator such as McMillan's or Daniels will give you a good idea of what your training paces should be relative to your racing. For example, you recent HM of 1:47:50 (8:14) yields the following via McMillan: Recovery Jogs 10:11~10:41 Long Runs 9:11~10:11 Easy Runs 9:11~9:41 ... Tempo Runs 7:54~8:14 Similarly, the Daniels Calculator gives: Easy/Long: 9:55 ... Threshold (Tempo) 7:59 Now this stuff isn't set in stone, but the bottom line is that you'll get a lot more out of your racing if you run easier on your easy days, and thrown in some up-tempo stuff a couple times a week. And yes, it does matter at the 25~30mpw level.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I appreciate the input, everyone. I've been paranoid about changing ANYTHING about my training because I was concerned about doing worse in races, but since I just ran my last major race of the year today, I am willing to try a different approach and see what it does for my spring racing. I will try making my easy runs truly easy and try to slowly keep increasing my miles. Susan