Socks (Read 1088 times)

Loves the outdoors

I'm having sock issues. Socks that used to be fine are now giving me blisters on my toes or hot spots on my instep. Same shoes, but my feet seem to be getting more and more fussy about the socks. I'm getting frustrated as I'm running out of options.

I used to only run in thorlos and loved them, but something has changed and they give me major rub points on my big toes. Now most  of my drymax type socks are giving me hot spots on my instep, so they are only good for the shortest of runs. I tried some hilly two layer socks - same issue. I've gone out and bought a whole bunch of cheap ones and still they aren't right.  My only pair of socks that is fine are my stupid looking, stupidly expensive injinji toe socks. I have tried wool, but I always shrink them and feel like I'm trying to put on my kids socks after the first wear. Clearly not buying the right brand of those.

My feet have always been very susceptible to blisters and rubbing due to major scarring from acid burns when I was two and a very "curious" child, but the first couple of years of running I had no problems at all. What's changed? 

Any other suggestions?

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

HappyFeat

Smartwool PhD women's running socks  are my current favorite.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

ud32

I've gone out and bought a whole bunch of cheap ones and still they aren't right.  My only pair of socks that is fine are my stupid looking, stupidly expensive injinji toe socks.? 

Any other suggestions?

If the injini work, save up $$ and use them - better than dealing with blisters. Funny you said that. I have been looking for socks too. I used to use features brand and the wool ones I like but wear out quickly and I get blister sor hot spots. i have two pair of injini toe socks and so far really like them. I also like Balegea http://www.balega.com/

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Speaking of sock, does ANYBODY prefer the dumb padded socks?  What are they padding you against?  They only seem to make the shoe smaller.  Certainly it's not impact cushioning.  And they don't seem to wear longer than normal socks.  

I picked a few up by accident and received more for free; $14 socks now available for free at the local Salvation Army for homeless runners.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

+1 for Injinji to prevent toe blisters. I also like the Balega Elite line, although I can get hotspots on my toes if the shoes aren't "right". Don't overlook that your shoes change with use, too.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Roses Revenge

I'm also a fan of Injinji socks.  I haven't had toe blisters since I started using them.  In the last year or so, I've started layering DriMax socks over Injinji liner socks for a double layer and have rarely had blisters any where else.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

runlikeagirI

I ran in Thorlos socks once and ended up with blisters.  My favorites are Balega ultra light - http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/BLG115/ .

jalex

I also used to wear Thurlos, but ended up with blisters and hot spots, especially after long distances.  Crazy as this sounds, I found the perfect socks for me at Old Navy.  They fit my foot like a glove.  No rubbing, no stretching out, and no holes at the tip of the toe. And I also agree, if the cheaper ones work better, then wear them and save some $$.

Balega women's endro 3 No Show. 

I thought they were too thick, but they are not. I wear them all summer long.    

I have been running for close to 30 years, and I just started buying running socks about 3 years ago.  Man, what a difference.  I will never go back.   These socks are expensive ( about $10 a pair ) but they seem to last and  last.    When one goes missing, I do start to panic. 

I've got my fiance on the mens version.  He likes them too. 

- Anya

xor

I'm a balega man for roads.  And a dry-max (yes that's the brand) guy for trails.  Balega's trail socks are as terrible as their road socks are good.

Also, I'm fine with padded socks.

I have a couple pairs of injinjis.  I always think I will hate them when I first put them on, but after a few minutes I don't notice. They are fine.  HOWEVER, they can be cold in winter.  Kind of the gloves vs mittens effect on my toesies.

Thin trainer socks from the supermarket - £3 for 5 pairs or some such....

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have a couple pairs of injinjis.  I always think I will hate them when I first put them on, but after a few minutes I don't notice. They are fine.  HOWEVER, they can be cold in winter.  Kind of the gloves vs mittens effect on my toesies.

After a couple of weeks, I think I am a convert from Injinjis to SmartWool toe socks.  They're nice!

Ojo

+1 for Injinji to prevent toe blisters. I also like the Balega Elite line, although I can get hotspots on my toes if the shoes aren't "right". Don't overlook that your shoes change with use, too.

I have to agree! 

I even double layer the Injinji with the Balega wool socks for trail runs. 

Sara

MM #2929

Ojo

After a couple of weeks, I think I am a convert from Injinjis to SmartWool toe socks.  They're nice!

I will be curious to hear how they hold up.  I used to only wear Smartwool but stopped because the quality went down and I was going through them every other month. 

Sara

MM #2929

I also love the Smart Wool toe socks, I've found them to be the best in terms of preventing blisters.  Unfortunately they do wear out quickly, but for me it's worth it since I'll get blisters with anything else so I don't mind spending a little extra to prevent that.  I also always use Sport Shield on my feet--the combination of that with the wool toe socks has made a huge difference for me.