The Hunger Games (books & movies) (Read 907 times)

"run" "2" "eat"

Things I didn't like

Too much shaky cam

yes. yes. yes. i hate that thing. what is the freaking point?????

lenny kravitz was inspired casting and he did a great job. wish he had a bigger part in the movie. 

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK, I finished...and I loved the final book as much as the previous 2.  I can also see where it could be split into 2 movies, perhaps.  Though I think the remaining movies are going to have a MUCH higher budget than the first...lots of CGI is going to be necessary.  

I feel sorta drained, now.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

12-week layoff

OK, I finished...and I loved the final book as much as the previous 2.  I can also see where it could be split into 2 movies, perhaps.  Though I think the remaining movies are going to have a MUCH higher budget than the first...lots of CGI is going to be necessary.  

I feel sorta drained, now.

Go fer a run.  Pretend tracker jackers are after ya.  You'll feel better.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Go fer a run.  Pretend tracker jackers are after ya.  You'll feel better.

I did a Zombies, Run! workout...that helped.  Tracker Jackers scare me more, I think...

~ Sarah Kay

Finally saw the movie last night.  Awesome.  But, man, it went fast.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Finally saw the movie last night.  Awesome.  But, man, it went fast.

It really does.  DS and I went to see it a 2nd time earlier in the week.  There were a lot of small details we missed the first time and I really wanted to pay more attention to the secondary characters.  It was just as riveting for the second viewing.  Rue's death upset me a LOT more the second time around, too.

~ Sarah Kay

Saw it with the wife and daughter yesterday (we all read the books).  We all thought they did a pretty good job adapting the book (agree on the shaky cam comment).  Non-book readers will almost certainly enjoy it less, but they did a decent job with the screen play to bring them along (liked the cut-ins to Ceaser Flickerman and the other guy doing play-by-play).

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay

sincerely silly

I also found the not so happy ending refreshing.  Another reason I think it will be hard to split into a movie though is the climax comes way before the end of the book and then it is like 3 epilogues after. 

Maybe the director will do some effective flashbacking to get the pacing right. Maybe start off in the epilogue without showing who the father of the kids are. :-)

I didn't necessary think the ending was not-so-happy. In fact, the way the end of the last chapter solidifies a love story, it feels a little fairytale...with a large dose of PTSD.

I might have to re-read Mockingjay. I wasn't really enjoying it, so I skimmed a lot...

shin splints are my nemesis

xor

I saw HG on Sunday.  It was pretty good.  I'm puzzled why this is the OMG!! movie of the year, though.

And I have a question.  It doesn't spoil the movie, but it is about a pivotal scene... so I won't ask yet.  But a really important thing happened, and it left me wondering "waitaminute. how did that dude know about that."  Hmmm.

There is a whole lot of right place/right time stuff that happens, but I guess that's always true.  It is absolutely good that she managed to sleep in the tree that happened to have the hornet nest (but no dragon tattoo) that happened to be climbing distance and happened to be over the bad kids' heads.  Yay.  Stuff like that.  And good to have play by play guys for exposition (I'm being sincere; that was a cool way to work something like that in).

Question which is NOT my spoiler question:  They spent a few minutes setting up the whole mockingjay call as a way to signal each other.  And then proceeded to not really use it (she does it once, doesn't receive a response... but then the other person is just yelling for her).  Does this come up in the future?  Because it was like the whole movie stopped to set this up and....... nothing....  (plus there's the whole pin which seems to be really important but I'll be fucked if I know why)

As you can see, I have NOT read the books.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I didn't necessary think the ending was not-so-happy. In fact, the way the end of the last chapter solidifies a love story, it feels a little fairytale...with a large dose of PTSD.

Ha, that's about the best description I've ever read of that aspect of the storyline...

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Question which is NOT my spoiler question:  They spent a few minutes setting up the whole mockingjay call as a way to signal each other.  And then proceeded to not really use it (she does it once, doesn't receive a response... but then the other person is just yelling for her).  Does this come up in the future?  Because it was like the whole movie stopped to set this up and....... nothing....  (plus there's the whole pin which seems to be really important but I'll be fucked if I know why)

I read the first book right before seeing the movie, so I sometimes forget which bits were changed/minimized in the film.  I seem to recall that they used the whistle more in the book.  I think it's because Rue is still just a kid and getting trapped wasn't part of the plan...so the plan to communicate via whistle becomes secondary to her need to let Katniss know that she's really in danger.

The pin is handled very differently in the books.  In the books the pin was given to Katniss by one of the only other girls she considers a friend.  Each Tribute has some sort of token or symbol from his/her district...sort of as a good luck charm.  Katniss decides to make that pin hers.

~ Sarah Kay

The mocking jay  turns into a symbol of rebellion.  Long story short  the capital bred jabberjays to spy on the rebels until the rebels caught on and started sending false information. Because of that they became useless and set free. They mated with female mocking birds hence where the mocking jays came from. As hybrid creatures that have broken free of the control of the Capitol, they suggest the inability of the Capitol to enforce their power over all living creatures.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hawt and sexy

Should I read this? I keep hearing about it and thinking maybe I should.

I'm touching your pants.

xor

I see.  Thanks.  The more I think about the movie, the more I'm really "that was ok, but NOT the shiz" about it.  I really should read the book.

Let me know when it is appropriate to ask my bigger not-really-a-spoiler-but-kinda question.