The Hunger Games (books & movies) (Read 907 times)

I would say very little was changed. Everything that was changed was just done in the interest of fitting the time format. It's about as good an adaptation as I can remember seeing.

Actually, one overall change was this: the book is written in the first person, which means we are limited to what Katniss experiences. This is not true in the movie; some scenes had to be completely manufactured. But they were all done in a way that's perfectly consistent with what one would expect from the book.

Way more was changed in, e.g., the Lord of the Rings movies, which people seemed to love anyway (though they drove me crazy).

+1

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Maybe I can talk dd into seeing it for a third time so I can go. I usually don't like seeing movie-versions of books I really love. I did like Harry Potter, though.

A Saucy Wench

To go off-track, I was a huge Michael Connelly fan, and saw Blood Work. They actually changed the entire story, and the actual killer in the movie was more of a hero in the book.

One of the worst adaptations of all time.  they took a rather interesting plot and dumbed it down to be nothing special. 

I didnt like the LoTR adaptations.  Focused all on the battles, removed all of the humor.    "Oh look, its another computer generated battle scene"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

bhearn

I didnt like the LoTR adaptations.  Focused all on the battles, removed all of the humor.    "Oh look, its another computer generated battle scene"

+1. There are plenty of battle scenes in the books, and some stuff must of course be cut. But they added battle scenes that weren't even in the books, and cut important stuff. Some of Moria just looked like a video game.

Plus, I hated Hobbiton and all the Hobbits.

Oh. And now Faramir is seduced by the ring??? I don't think so.

xor

So much hate for little scared hobbits.

One of the worst adaptations of all time.  they took a rather interesting plot and dumbed it down to be nothing special. 

They did better with Lincoln Lawyer..but still, Connelly is such a good writer, and deserves better treatment for the film versions. I do wish they'd turn the Bosch books into movies. I've fallen behind on his books, and may just start over with all the Harry Bosch stuff.