Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Good luck tomorrow and have a fun race!

Will check in and look for good news from you tomorrow!

Good luck this weekend MoBramExam, and everyone else who is racing. I will be racing a 5K at 8:00am Saturday. Here are my goals:

1) PR the course, which is 20:15 from 2007.

2) Run it in less than 20 minutes.

Plan is to set my Garmin to report 1K lap pace, run four minute kilometers, and hope to have a kick at the end to sneak inside 20 minutes.

MoBramExam

What an awesome morning!  Shattered everything.  Shattered PR, shattered goals, and yes, shattered 20:00.  Final time 19:34.  6th Overall, 2nd AG, and the 11-year old DNS...wouldn't have mattered.

Can't begin to tell everyone on this thread and this site how much I have appreciated all your support, advise, and general encouragement.  Thanks guys!!  Now.  Gotta do it a few more times.  This thread is "Goal of Sub-20 5K", not "Goal of one Sub-20 5K".

Here's the race report.  (Notice that its shorter than normal...I didn't run for as long as I usually do )

Temp 67     Wind 5 mph.   Humid (87%)   Dew Point 61 degrees.

Great night's sleep.  No drama drive to race.  Fantastic warm-up.  Turnout down about half from last year.  Did an informal headcount at starting line during course instructions (runners? volunteers? walkers?)  Looked to be about 45-50 runners.  Identified immediate issue.  Three premier HS CC kids on front line with Hammer and A-Wad.  They'll all go 17:XXs or better.  I recognize no one that will be ahead of me early that will run about my time.  No one to race and pacing all on me. 

Line up on second row behind two younger guys and a 30ish athletic type. We're off and I'm past the two younger guys after about 5 steps.  Mr. 30ish is off quick and his day is done after less than 400 meters.  A-Wad is the closest, but I know better.  I'm flying solo...all freakin' race.

I have set the Garmin to alert me every 6:20.  Figure there is no way my splits will be any faster and I'll have all the mile markers in front of me to help evaluate performace.  More focused on getting into a flow and mile marker is on me before I know it.  Garmin "chirp" right on.  OK, I've done a 6:20 and it feels about right...few seconds later, the actual time alert goes off (the last was the auto lap chirp).  I'm a ways past the mile marker now.  Crap, I'm not only out fast, I'm out way too fast.  (Mile split was 6:07)

OK, its done, its over, can't redo.  In the past, I would have thought: "slow down and run within your ability".  That seemed to always result in 7:00+ second mile splits.  Today, I'm armed with new knowledge!  IN A 5K, IF A RUNNER'S HEAD HAS PREDETERMINED A FIRST MILE SPLIT FOR A SPECIFIC TIME, AND THE GUESS IS WRONG, THE BODY WILL DETERMINE THE NEXT TWO SPLITS.  There is nothing to think about right now but focus on form, efficient strides, and maintain race effort.  The body will set the pace.

There is no "turnaround point" in this out and back course.  We simply break off the street and go around a city block.  I remember last year seeing the leaders pass me going the other way before making that turn.  This year, not so.  Awesome feeling!!

Make the loop and back on main route.  5 mph wind at my back now.  Fatigue causes some breakdowns in form here and there, but I'm on it immediately and back in stride.  Two mile mark...no alert...there it is.  Not as far past it this time, but good enough.  (Mile split was 6:24)

Quick math says a 6:40 or 6:45ish 3rd mile may get it.  Not confident in math, doesn't matter, run hard.  About 2.25 miles in.  OK, now I'm really tired.  Screw it, run hard.  Another 100 meters or so, I may actually hurl at the finish line for the first time.  Screw it, run hard.  Past the cop working traffic control.  Still had the presence to say "Thank You".  It came out in English, so I know I'm still capable of more effort.  Run harder.  Third mile split, alert maybe one or two steps past.  (Mile split was 6:28)

Swore would not look at finish clock until after last turn.  Made it, looked up, and had just rolled over 19:00.  Funny, the first two thoughts were (1) cannot wait to get home and post this, and (2) if this is what sub-20 feels like, do I REALLY want to do it again?  Hammer was several meters shy of finish line trying to push me to a sub-19:30.  Just not there.  Final kick topped out at 5:12 pace in 0:35 finish.  (Final time was 19:34)

1:02 PR.  The three HS CC kids all broke the course record.  Ran in low 16s.  Hammer 4th, I think 17:15ish.  A-Wad 5th Overall and 1st AG with something in the mid 17s.  I'm 6th Overall and 2nd AG.  No other runner broke 20:00.  High Schoolers and Masters ruled.  Wayne Course was there and finished shortly after I came in.  He had told me at this race (my 3rd 5K) last year that I had the potential to do this.  He posed with me for a picture at the finish line.  Told me to keep going and asked me, "What's next?"  Told him, "19:33."

Great report and what a huge breakthough!

Congratulations.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

Run happy

congratulations, great result! Smile

Great job MoBramExam. I wish I could report a similar result, but I didn't get the time I was hoping. First two kilometers were on pace: 3:59 and then 3:57. Happy with effort of last 3k's effort, with average heart rates of 182, 183, and then 184. However, I'm just not in good enough shape to get sub 20 minutes. The times of my last three kilometers were 4:11, 4:26, and then 4:25…Finished with a 20:58. 

edit: but I did have fun. You know, I think that is one of my problems. I just don't have that drive/passion it seems a lot of people have...

Mobram, you crushed it! Loved how your report not only describes the physical pain of running a 5k but also the mental battle that you have to deal with. All that training and experience with racing this year sure came together for you today in one awesome breakthrough race. Enjoy, but don't limit yourself. There's probably a lot more out there for you. Congratulations.

MTA:  your log shows a lot of consistent running, week in and week out.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Congratulations!  An awesome time.

I really like your thinking during the race.  Tired, run harder.  Out of gas, run harder. Nothing left, run harder!!!

I think this may be what it takes for some of us to have our break through!

What an awesome morning!  Shattered everything.  Shattered PR, shattered goals, and yes, shattered 20:00.  Final time 19:34.  6th Overall, 2nd AG, and the 11-year old DNS...wouldn't have mattered.

Can't begin to tell everyone on this thread and this site how much I have appreciated all your support, advise, and general encouragement.  Thanks guys!!  Now.  Gotta do it a few more times.  This thread is "Goal of Sub-20 5K", not "Goal of one Sub-20 5K".

Prince of Fatness

Nice, MoBram!  You didn't sneak by, you smashed it.  Big time congrats to you.

Not at it at all. 

KerraM

I'm really trying to get sub 20- like REALLY trying. My last 5k (last thursday) was 20:08.

I was so upset that I was THAT close and didn't go sub 20. Hmph.

Great job MoBram. I definately did not see that coming!

Your attitude in the week leading up to the race was important.

Main runner sorry about your time.

You could tell though that you were not 100% confident. Your goal was if you could sneak under 20 you would do so by a second or two with the finishing kick. I find that breaking 20 you must have a mental edge to just racing the course.....every stride has a purpose to cut time from the final tally. You cannot come in and try to pace 19:59...you have to kick the courses rear and go way below 20....give it a beating it will not forget..Otherwise you aren't 100% focused and you don't believe you can do it. Which is probably true you are not quite where you need to be. But I know you are a lot better than 20:58 shape. The fast 2 KM seemed to kill you today. I think you are still in 20:15 shape or so.

MoBram I think Confidence is key. You had that and more today.

My PR is 19:36 and it is hard to fathom running that fast again.

As I ran my PR last June I was thinking in the last mile "I might as well kill myself burning this last mile as hard as I can because I might not run this hard again for a long long time....so get the PR as low as possible"

With a 12:31 split after 2 miles it was in the bag but since you had never run a sub 20 before you had no idea. Now you do.

Nice race reports guys.  Mobram, you crushed that race!  Congrats on the breakthrough.  Mainrun, there's always next time.  Some days you just don't have it.  That's the great thing about 5ks -- if you don't hit your time in a goal race, you can try again in a couple weeks.  Smile

Also, welcome KerraM!

thanks guys - I am trying again in a couple weeks. It is all good.

MoBramExam

edit: but I did have fun. You know, I think that is one of my problems. I just don't have that drive/passion it seems a lot of people have...

You know, mainrun, if anything, right now, I think you're a "victim of your consistency".  You've been so dedicated and steady for so long, your body has probably adapted to the stimuli.  To move forward, you may have to make a personal choice to increase training in some way; miles, time running, or intensity.  You have the talent and ability...and we all know you have the discipline (471 days, geeze!).  Just gotta decide you want to go after it.

MIchigan Flyer quote: "Great job MoBram. I definately did not see that coming!"  --  That makes TWO of us!

Thanks to all for your comments and again for all the training advice.

MrPHinNJ...you're up.  Good luck and go get it!

I agree with your thoughts MoBramExam - thanks. Over the winter I'm going to see if I can build up to 200 mile months.
                                MoBram, great race!   Bravo!   That was a great PR.  I loved reading your race report.  I mostly have run 5K's, and was interested in reading a report from "one of the people in front"   I like your ideas about how to run a 5K.   Keep up the good work.    Woods Lady