Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

I am still around but went to the sub 1:40 half thread recently.

I am planning on running my old high school alumni 5k this Saturday just for fun.

It is a trail run through the woods. I am not nervous about it at all just going to have fun with it.

My 200 mile July was reason to celebrate and I took 3 of the 1st 7 days off in August!

I still am getting out there with 40 miles last week but I will be lucky to get 150 miles for August.

I have a half marathon planned Sept. 27 and my 1st 10k race a couple weeks after that.

Maybe then I will go for a fast 5k in the cooler weather.

Prince of Fatness

My marathon is September 13.  I have a 5 mile race this coming Saturday and that will be it for racing until the marathon.  I have a half in early in November.  I figure I should be able to sneak a 5K or two in in October.

Not at it at all. 

MoBramExam

Banging out 45+ mile weeks in preparation for 8-Miler on September 5.  Expect to hit 200+ in August.

Will hold steady on miles now to allow weekly speed session beginning this week.  Start to amp up for next two 5Ks on September 20 and October 3.

I'm ramping up this week for 5k's on 8/29 & 9/7 or 9/12 depending on how I feel and weather forecast.

Interval workout today that did not go particularly well, but I finished.  Legs a bit tired and temp/humidity were high.  Probably need to take a day off.  Note to self: schedule these runs for later in the evening when temp is lower.

Today's workout was repeat 1,200's after a short warmup with a goal pace of 6:08/mi

1,200m  - 4:36 (6:08)

300m walk

1,200m - 4:37 (6:10)

300m walk

1,200m - 4:41 (6:15)

300m walk

1,200m - 4:42 (6:16)

1 mile cooldown

I'm ramping up this week for 5k's on 8/29 & 9/7 or 9/12 depending on how I feel and weather forecast.

Interval workout today that did not go particularly well, but I finished.  Legs a bit tired and temp/humidity were high.  Probably need to take a day off.  Note to self: schedule these runs for later in the evening when temp is lower.

Today's workout was repeat 1,200's after a short warmup with a goal pace of 6:08/mi

1,200m  - 4:36 (6:08)

300m walk

1,200m - 4:37 (6:10)

300m walk

1,200m - 4:41 (6:15)

300m walk

1,200m - 4:42 (6:16)

1 mile cooldown

I ran something similar last night with the track club in a cemetery.

4 X 3/4 mile but I got about 4:40 rest while my running partner ran his loops.

I had some hills that slowed me down a touch as well but my times were:

4:48

4:44

That is 6:23 per mile pace. I did run 6:19 pace for this 4X3/4 mile  on a flat course a few months ago then ran a 20:06 5k that same week so I feel these 4 X 3/4 mile efforts are indicative of 5k pace if you add about  10 seconds per mile to your pace. Yes the 80 degree temps have an impact on your times for sure.

I hope you fast guys don't laugh too much at this- I am not exactly on the threshold of a 20 minute 5k, in fact I can't even see the door from here, but I ran a 22:08 this morning.

As I am training for the half, and am a fairly new runner, age 58, I was reasonably pleased.

This was only my second 5k, and I quite enjoyed it because it is a "real race": you are going pretty hard most of the way.

I have a better appreciation of the difficulty of running sub 20 after today's experience!

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I hope you fast guys don't laugh too much at this- I am not exactly on the threshold of a 20 minute 5k, in fact I can't even see the door from here, but I ran a 22:08 this morning.

As I am training for the half, and am a fairly new runner, age 58, I was reasonably pleased.

This was only my second 5k, and I quite enjoyed it because it is a "real race": you are going pretty hard most of the way.

I have a better appreciation of the difficulty of running sub 20 after today's experience!

Simon.

Good job simon .... Heck for an old guy that is pretty fast

I kind of just lurk on this thread and when get 22:00 will officially throw my hat in.  Last 5k was 22:47 in May, but with training this cycle and cool fall/winter weather I hope to get down in the 21:'s by end of year and shoot for the sub 20 next year.

Way to go!

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Congrats Simon.  Keep up the good work.
                    Nice job, Simon!  I think you'll be down into the 20: xxs sooner than you think, given that you're a newer runner and you're training for a half. 

MoBramExam

I think you'll be down into the 20: xxs sooner than you think, given that you're a newer runner and you're training for a half. 

+1.  Nice job and over 1:00 improvement from the previous year.  BTW - 22:08 at age 58 is 18:07 age graded.

Vappy

So I wanted to give you guys a quick update in case anyone is interested. 

I've been maintaining ~10+mpw since April 1st now, I would keep my milage posted on my profile except it seems easier to keep track of it in excel. Prior to April 1st I had not run in ~5 years, and had not done any other sports either. Here's the deatils:

<col width="75" span="3" />
                        Week MPW Notable Workouts
                        1 8 4 Mile Time Trial in 31:40
                        2 3
                        3 11.25 4 Mile Time Trial in 31:00
                        4 10
                        5 13.5 4 Mile Time Trial in 29:35
                        6 11.75
                        7 16.75
                        8 13.75
                        9 11.75
                        10 5.5
                        11 8.3
                        12 11.85
                        13 7
                        14 10
                        15 10 5K 21:39 (No Chance to Warmup)
                        16 20.3
                        17 11 4x1000 (3:55, 3:52, 3:54, 3:54) With 3:00 Rest Interval
                        18 10.75
                        19 7.5
                        20 10 3 x (2 x 200 + 1 x 400) with 3 Minute Rest Interval. 37, 37, 78, 36, 35, 76, 35, 37, 71

Its probably not obvious from this data, but I have decent speed, good anaerobic endurance (800m, mile), and pretty week aerobic capacity. (Back in HS I ran 400m in 55., 800m 2:05, mile 4:41, 2 mile 10:55, on 30 mpw).

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

So I wanted to give you guys a quick update in case anyone is interested. 

I've been maintaining ~10+mpw since April 1st now, I would keep my milage posted on my profile except it seems easier to keep track of it in excel. Prior to April 1st I had not run in ~5 years, and had not done any other sports either...

Its probably not obvious from this data, but I have decent speed, good anaerobic endurance (800m, mile), and pretty week aerobic capacity. (Back in HS I ran 400m in 55., 800m 2:05, mile 4:41, 2 mile 10:55, on 30 mpw).

You're more than ready to run more mileage.  It's good you started cautiously after 5 years off, but you're ready.  Honestly, you should just ditch the intervals and run a lot of easy miles to build up your aerobic capacity -- it's clear you still have some residual speed.

Mileage really helps the aerobic-- I ran very similar times to you in high school (2:04, 4:42) for the half and mile, but I ran 40~50 mpw and my 2-mile was 10:06.  10:55 is a surprisingly weak 2-mi time for a 4:41-miler, so you should really focus on your weak spot (aerobic capacity) through running more miles rather your strength.

In fact, one of my old coaches gave me an off-season workout program that called for no speed of any kind until I had a steady base of 40~45mpw.  Your mileage may vary, but you get the idea -- aerobic capacity comes first.  Intervals are the icing on the cake -- to get the most out of them, you need to focus on the cake -- miles.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I ran a 5k yesterday at my old high school. It was the alumni team against the current high school team. Only 2 high school members showed up and 6 alumni. The temp was about 63 degrees at the start great August weather in Michigan. It had rained and made the ground soft.The course was through wooded trails and had about a dozen steep hills to climb. I realized then that the race was a fun run and set my goal at 22 minutes.

The gun went off and I raced across the soccer field. Both high school runners took off like they were shot from a cannon. Another 50 year old led me and my sister was close behind me. I turned and said "Slow down you are going too fast" to my sister. Into the woods and the 1st half mile was not bad - mostly downhills. I gained on the 50 year old runner and caught him at half mile. I was feeling good. I saw one HS runner coming back to me. I caught him around the km mark. Now I was in 2nd place. I was going to try and reel in the leader but I could not even see him anymore. I just hoped he would die out.

When I neared the 3/4 mile mark there was a turnaround and I could see the leader rushing passed me the opposite direction. Well he had an enormous lead on me of about 45 seconds. As I hit the turnaround I peeked back and saw the 50 year old was about 30 seconds back. I was really running well.

I hit the mile in 6:56. Onto mile two which was the hardest mile. There were some very steep downhills and I ran them pretty hard to gain seconds and establish 2nd place by as much as possible. Equally steep uphills were run pretty well also. Around the halfway mark was a confusing part and I was trying to go over in my mind the course map. Luckily I manuevered this portion correctly while after the race I found out 3 runners got lost here for almost a minute.

I hit the 2 mile mark in 14:21. Whoops this course is a monster I need to hit mile 3 hard to break 22.

I had run the 1st 2 miles prerace but did not know what mile 3 had to offer.

Luckily it was not as bad as the 2nd mile. There were some hairpins turns but not as many hills.

There was one long hill that kept going around 2.5 miles....I was at 18 minutes by my watch.

Around 21:30 I descended an incredibly steep sandy hill. When I got to the bottom 22 minutes had elapsed.

I still had to turn left and run on the grass to the finish. I finished in 22:28 for 2nd of 8 runners.

The 3rd runner was about 3 minutes behind me and the winner ran a 19:48.

I can think back and realize most CC courses for high school are not about beating a PR but getting a good placement for your team. I ran hard but the course kicked my butt. It was a great workout. No pavement to pound my legs and body. Now its on to keep training for a half marathon on Sept. 27.

EDIT TO ADD: Stay tuned for Youtube footage of August 22 alumni race when i get a chance to upload it.

Vappy

You're more than ready to run more mileage.  It's good you started cautiously after 5 years off, but you're ready.  Honestly, you should just ditch the intervals and run a lot of easy miles to build up your aerobic capacity -- it's clear you still have some residual speed.

Mileage really helps the aerobic-- I ran very similar times to you in high school (2:04, 4:42) for the half and mile, but I ran 40~50 mpw and my 2-mile was 10:06.  10:55 is a surprisingly weak 2-mi time for a 4:41-miler, so you should really focus on your weak spot (aerobic capacity) through running more miles rather your strength.

In fact, one of my old coaches gave me an off-season workout program that called for no speed of any kind until I had a steady base of 40~45mpw.  Your mileage may vary, but you get the idea -- aerobic capacity comes first.  Intervals are the icing on the cake -- to get the most out of them, you need to focus on the cake -- miles.

I think you are right, I would really benefit from higher milage. I am pretty sure if I was able to run 40/50mpw I would be crushing 20:00.

However, I have been really really slow increasing milage because it's always been high milage thats injured me, not speed workouts. In fact, I hadn't run in 5 years because I could never get milage above 10mpw anymore without huge IT Band pain. Also, I have gotten stress fractures whenever I increase my distance to fast, so I'd rather take a year to get to 30mpw, and another to 40/50, then get hurt.

Also, I have found nike frees, and those helped a little with leg pain. However, over the last month or two I have transitioned to the radical Vibram Five Fingers (shoes that mimic barefoot running). They shouldn't work according to modern theory because I am bow legged, low arched, my right leg turns out, etc. But they do! I have been slowly adding millage on those. They have totally changed my running form from heel-toe to midfoot/forefoot. And in response much of my leg pain has subsided. At first I had the worst soreness in my calves of my life, but now it almost feels natural running with them. But I also want to increase my millage slow so I don't stress fracture my feet, since they are no longer padded by running shoes

Flyer,

Nice race report ... sounded fun.  Too bad more of the HS runners did not show up and pay you old timers the respect you deserve.

I have never run a XC event, but my daughter just had a race at end of her summer xc camp.  She is only 13 but they had a 2 mile for midle school and 5k for the HS racers and I was dying not to run against the HS kids (I even had my running gear on as ran 6 miles before the race when she had to be there 1 hr early), although they had like 30 guys go sub 20:00, I think I could have beaten a few youngsters.  

MTA -- Good point about CC strategy as just telling my daaughter same thing last night.  Think the CC meets are won /loss with the 4 - 6 runners not the guys blasting the field.  Thats the beauty of the format as each position is equally important to the team outcome. 

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!