Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

jeffdonahue

Going for it this weekend. Hit 20:16 three weeks ago (and then a week-long bout of the stomach flu and a trip to Denver) but I am doing a relatively flat 5K this Sunday. Temps look to be in the mid to high 50s with a chance of showers. Last year I did both of these races with a time of 21:24 in the race I did three weeks ago and 21:16 in this one coming up. I hope to be able to drop more than just 8 seconds this time.
      Good luck. I'm running a flat, certified course on Saturday. I don't expect to go sub-20 just yet but we'll see how it goes.
      jeffdonahue

Good luck to you too. the course I ran a few weeks ago had a rather large hill at the beginning of mile 3 and I figure I must have lost at leat 16 seconds on that hill.
        JimR

Good luck guys. Event #2 for me on Sunday. Last effort was 20:50, this effort will occur during a heavy training period. Goal is just to beat the 20:50. Course is tougher as well.
            Good luck on the races this weekend guys. Jeff, man your so close. The flater race is going make the difference. I really didn't think I'd get into the breaking 20 thing, but now I'm completely jelous that you guys will be out there pushing to go sub 20 mins. while I'll be slogging through my 20 mile run. Oh well, I'll focus on 5ks after Grandma's. By that time most of you guys will be working on sub 19 and I'll have to catch up.
              So, anyone get under 20 yet this weekend? I finished my Saturday morning 5K in 20:07. This was a PR for me, but it was not a great race. I'm pretty sure that the course was short as it measured 3.08 on my GPS - based on previous races, I would expect to measure closer to 3.15. The course was supposedly certified, but considering that none of the race organizers were sure about the starting line, I would question the accuracy. Plus, I think the clock might have been behind the actual start. Anyway, it seemed like everything fell apart for me... - I did not feel very energetic this morning - Didn't get in a good warmup or stretch - I have been sick for the 10 days or so and had not been able to get in some runs - Plus it was on the water and very windy. On the plus side... - I had a great starting position - There was no running traffic issues (even on a very narrow park path) - The temperature of around 50 degrees was perfect - The course was very flat I really just lost it around mile 2 and the final 1.1 miles were just brutal. I had nothing left for a finishing kick and was actually shocked when I saw the clock appear and that I was even close to 20. But like I said, I am skeptical about the time/distance. All things considered, I guess I am happy with at least setting a new PR. It looks like I will have to wait until November to attempt to break 20 as my next few races are going to be 5M, (in which I will attempt to break 35 mins) followed by a very hilly 5K in mid-summer that I doubt I will break 20. Good luck everyone else this weekend. Let us all know how your races go.
                Good job Chris. Ran a 21:08 on a certified course today. Course measured 3.14 on my watch. Counting it as a new PR since my last time of 20:32 was on a short course (~3.02) The weather SUCKED, overcast, around 75 degrees and 80-90% humidity. I knew I wouldn't get close to 20 but I figured I'd try anyway. Before the race my stomach was giving me problems, shouldn't have drank that coffee before and eaten so heavily last night. Don't think I warmed up enough either, did a mile and a couple of slowish strides. Wanted to run 6:3x first mile and increase from there. Ended up doing that, but couldn't hold it, ran ~6:40 for mile 2 and was too hot and tired by mile 3. A little disappointed but I need to realize I probably won't set a PR by much in this weather, or while I'm increasing my mileage. Got 3/38 in my age group but no medal, and 21/322 overall. Ended up winning a door prize - a $70 gift certificate to a nice sushi restaurant! Good thing for that otherwise I'd be REALLY bummed. Mile__Time___Split__HR__Fastest 1.00 - 06:36 - 6:36 - 188 - 5:09 2.00 - 13:20 - 6:44 - 200 - 5:57 3.00 - 20:18 - 6:58 - 201 - 5:27 3.14 - 21:08 - 0:50 - 206 - 4:53 Avg HR: 198 Max HR: 213
                  Good luck to you too. the course I ran a few weeks ago had a rather large hill at the beginning of mile 3 and I figure I must have lost at leat 16 seconds on that hill.
                  I hear there's a pretty flat course in Lowell...

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Just curious, does anyone have a chart of how temperature/humidity affects racing performances?
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Just curious, does anyone have a chart of how temperature/humidity affects racing performances?
                      I know I've seen one, but I can't find it online. The only thing I found specifically was Jeff Galloway saying that in predicting race performance, your time will slow by 30 seconds a mile for every 5 degree temperature increase above 60F. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/resources/gallracepredict.html I'm too much of a novice to know if that's accurate, though.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I know I've seen one, but I can't find it online. The only thing I found specifically was Jeff Galloway saying that in predicting race performance, your time will slow by 30 seconds a mile for every 5 degree temperature increase above 60F. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/resources/gallracepredict.html I'm too much of a novice to know if that's accurate, though.
                        I think this 30 s/mile thing is for longer distances and for say 8-12 min/miler. I would say 10 miles or more. Although I don't have any experience in anything greater than a 5k race yet.
                        JimR

Jeff Galloway saying that in predicting race performance, your time will slow by 30 seconds a mile for every 5 degree temperature increase above 60F.
                          Not sure how Galloway came up with this number, it sure doesn't reflect my experience and definitely not for 5k. My PR was in perfect conditions about 20:03 while a couple of very warm ones earlier that year were both around 20:18.
                          RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Maybe for a marathon - it's a big fall off in pace for a short race. I checked my log for summer vas spring races. The two I run most years are April & July 5k. My times are similar. In fact, last two years I've run the July race faster. Race day temp difference must be ~25 to 30 degrees. I'll suffer if it's a longer race but not by the amount quoted. Once, I remember running 6:40s for a 10miler in 40-50 degree weather then the next weekend struggling with sub 7s in a 10k when it climbed into the 70s.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's good to know about your race times during warm weather. That will help me stress out less about my races this summer. I hate hot weather.
                                BostonChris, I actually ran that 5k today as well. After your other post/rant about headphones the other day, I clicked on your profile. As I was passing you at the 3 mile mark, I noticed the headphones and (no hard feelings) the shaved head and and I thought to myself "I wonder if that is the Chris guy from the board" since I normally don't see headphones at that pace. I actually thought the opposite of you, that the race was a little long. My best 5k is 19:25 (admittedly on a net downhill course) and I thought I ran a good race today and my 1 mile split was about 6:09 (according to the guy calling splits ("Split Guy"), but I finished in 20:05 (according to the results even though the clock read 20:02 when I passed it). As to your comment about organization .... I saw the Split Guy at the finish line and he was looking at his stopwatch (which he said was started at the gun) and the clock and he said his stopwatch was 7 seconds faster than the clock. What did your watch say?