Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

I would like break 20 minutes in a 5K. I started running in 2001, going from 24:30 to 21:30 that year. In 2002, I stayed the same. 2003, I dropped over a minute to 20:18 and thought a 19:59 or better would happen sooner than later. Well, I have run several 5K's between 20:04 and 20:58 since, most of them closer to 20 minutes than 21, but have not seen the magical 19. Here is the training plan I am currently following: http://www.therunzone.com/VB/showthread.php?t=782 Good luck all
      Count me in. I was a minute away in '07. Trying to increase the miles this year. Good luck everyone! Smile
      evtish

You're all knocking on the door....I'm not even in the same room yet Cry If guys can average 5mm for a marathon, how hard can a sub 20 be for only 3.1 miles? I'm going to keep saying that to overcome all my negative thoughts. Wink SB Prediction: PATRIOTS 38 GIANTS 17. Tom Brady MVP.

Slow-smooth-fast

i have just acheived it, did it in 18:57, wasnt even a race either. Have a look at my log, my paces etc and you will know if you are ready

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

dprimrocka777

That is a good place to start as a runner. If you stay consitant you will improve greatly. when i was new to running in september, i ran a 25:26 in my first ever race. then i started to get serious and even when we didnt have practice i would be running. 7 weeks later i ran a 18:55. If you can start out at 20:00 as a new runner that would be very impressive and you would improve greatly over time. anyway my goal next season is to break 17:00. Also, i just bought a book called, Daniel's Running Formula. It has what workouts you should do, pace, and whatever else you need to attain your goal. Good book and everyone should get it.
            PWL

Has been

I'm gunning for >20:00 this year too. I got down to 21:30-something last year on a moderate training schedule with little real speedwork. I am going to try and put some more trackwork in this year although I am marathon training as well so we shall see. MaineRunner2001--what 5k races are you going to do this year? I did the St Charles 5k in Portsmouth last year which was pretty fast/flat. SeaDogs race on Mother's Day is always fun as well.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm gunning for >20:00 this year too. I got down to 21:30-something last year on a moderate training schedule with little real speedwork. I am going to try and put some more trackwork in this year although I am marathon training as well so we shall see. MaineRunner2001--what 5k races are you going to do this year? I did the St Charles 5k in Portsmouth last year which was pretty fast/flat. SeaDogs race on Mother's Day is always fun as well.
                I liked the Sea Dogs race - last year, my entire family (DH, myself, and 3 kids) ran it as my Mother's Day present. I was so new that I had to walk a little of it (that "hill" seemed awfully long, lol), so I'm really looking forward to it this year. I even bribed my 7th grade son to run it again - I told him only those family members who run the race get to go out for brunch afterwards. MY goal time is 34:00, whoo hoo! DS will try to break 17.
                  MaineRunner2001--what 5k races are you going to do this year? I did the St Charles 5k in Portsmouth last year which was pretty fast/flat. SeaDogs race on Mother's Day is always fun as well.
                  I registered for the "Irish Road Rover 5K," March 9 in Portland, and the "Hot Pursuit 5K," May 4 in Brunswick. I have not done either of those two before. The Brunswick course is advertised as certified, flat and fast. I also plan to run the "Unity College Spring 5K." It is usually during spring break in April. It is fast and flat, but not certified, though it is wheel measured.
                  I liked the Sea Dogs race - last year, my entire family (DH, myself, and 3 kids) ran it as my Mother's Day present. I was so new that I had to walk a little of it (that "hill" seemed awfully long, lol), so I'm really looking forward to it this year. I even bribed my 7th grade son to run it again - I told him only those family members who run the race get to go out for brunch afterwards. MY goal time is 34:00, whoo hoo! DS will try to break 17.
                  I have done that race a couple times. It is fun, but boy is it crowded! Sounds like a nice family day for you folks. _____________ Hope to see some Maine Runners this year Smile
                    For those hardy Massholes looking for a pre-season tuneup, the Super 5K runs in beautiful Lowell at noon on Super Sunday, snow or shine. I just gotta get a Bruschi jersey so I can run "full tilt, full-time" like Tedy.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

SB Prediction: PATRIOTS 38 GIANTS 17. Tom Brady MVP.
                      I don't dare predict, because mine never come true. I shouldn't even say I hope the Patriots win.
                        SB Prediction: PATRIOTS 38 GIANTS 17. Tom Brady MVP.
                        I don't dare predict, because mine never come true. I shouldn't even say I hope the Patriots win.
                          Hello person who is almost exactly like me! I am currently a sophomore in high school, and as a freshman i was blessed with the ability to run well. I broke 20, and was in the 19's the entire year. The most important thing to remember is not to lose focus. Remember that you have a goal, and when the pain sets in, go for it anyways. This past year of cross was okay, but not too great. i wanted sub 18, i got an 18:09. However, I'm going through some running physical breakthrough that i don't fully understand, but i try not to question it Wink. So i can tell you that when break time sets in and you take your 2 weeks off, start right where you left off, or even faster. your legs will be ready to explode with running anticipation by the time you start up again, and you'll be eager to quickly grow stronger after 2 weeks of your legs saying "where the heck is the running??" Trust me. Recently we did a fast paced workout for 15 minutes, and if you added the extra distance on, i would have broken 18 (around a 17:45), but i can't count that unfortunately. but hopefully you take my advice because it sure as heck worked for me.
                          evtish

Yippee Yiy Yay. Can't believe it, I just broke 7mm in my second race ever, the Bradford 6k...an extra k and it didn't even feel that bad at all. It's nice when there's 2 courses and most of the fast guys run the longer one. I'm 2 1/2 months ahead of schedule. Bad Dawg - See ya at the Good Times on April 1. BTW - nice run in the Super 5k, would have run that one, but I'm coaching my sons basketball team and games are on Sunday's, so no Sunday races for me. Good luck all Tom
                              Yippee Yiy Yay. Can't believe it, I just broke 7mm in my second race ever, the Bradford 6k...an extra k and it didn't even feel that bad at all. It's nice when there's 2 courses and most of the fast guys run the longer one. I'm 2 1/2 months ahead of schedule. Bad Dawg - See ya at the Good Times on April 1. BTW - nice run in the Super 5k, would have run that one, but I'm coaching my sons basketball team and games are on Sunday's, so no Sunday races for me. Good luck all Tom
                              Nice time! My 5K PR is close to yours. Hope my training pays off as much as yours did... my first race of the year is not this weekend but next.
                                Count me in! My goal last year was a sub 21 5k and I didn't get there. So, it continues to be a goal for me this year. Sub 20 is a bit of a reach but I'll try.

Michelle