Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Well after grabbing my book DANIELS RUNNING FORMULA I realized I should only run 4 miles worth of Tempos since I am only running 40 miles per week. That sounded better. I ran a mile warmup then sauntered onto the track very nervously for some jr high kids were in the seats watching me and I didnt want to blow up. I got myself relaxed and did fine. 7 minute pace is really not that fast if you hit all the splits which I did nicely. I actually did 4 X 1600 meters. Split 1.... 6:59 Split 2....6:59 Split 3... 6:57 Split 4...6:49 Tried not to get too carried away but I felt good on the last 1600 meter interval. I knew it was no time to be fancy but I kept strong even though I could have loafed in the last 2 laps I took 80 seconds rest between each 1600 meter interval. Total miles today 8...weekly miles 34. It was a good test today.
    corrade

Valet Parking

This is a goal of mine this year. I took a couple good shots at it last year with a 20:13 and a few 20:30ish races. Great to see a few success stories here, congrats!
        ... 4 X 1600 meters. Split 1.... 6:59 Split 2....6:59 Split 3... 6:57 Split 4...6:49 Tried not to get too carried away but I felt good on the last 1600 meter interval. I knew it was no time to be fancy but I kept strong even though I could have loafed in the last 2 laps I took 80 seconds rest between each 1600 meter interval. Total miles today 8...weekly miles 34. It was a good test today.
        MichaganFlyer: Any lingering soreness from that workout? Those are paces are moving right along. Good work
          I am excited this year to attempt a fast 5K with my Garmin 305. I started using it last year in August, but have not used it in a 5K when I am in really good shape. I used to run with two watches - a heart rate monitor and a timex 40 lap watch. In the past, I paid more attention to heart rate during a race. I would get it into the 170's right from the start, and hold on. That would result in 20:?? 5K's. Many races I enter do not mark miles. I am not sure what the splits were. I suspect something like 6:10, 6:40, 6:45, and then :40. Currently, I am not in very good shape. I ran a 5K on March 9 with the following average heart rates for each mile: 164, 184, 188, and then the last .1 miles: 189. The splits were 7:21, 7:21, 7:18, and then 1:04. Having the Garmin report pace, distance, and heart rate was extremely useful. I cannot wait for my next two 5K's. One in April that I have done several times. Here are my old times - 2003: 20:18, 2004: 20:06, 2005: 20:04, 2006: did not race, and 2007: 20:24. In May, I am racing a 5K I have never done before, but it is labeled as certified and fast. If I race those two with the same effort as I raced the March 5K, as long I as do the necessary training, maybe I will get a 19:?? 5K. If not, I am still excited to race the 5K's with my Garmin!
            MichaganFlyer: Any lingering soreness from that workout? Those are paces are moving right along. Good work
            A little sore but the track is a new surface so nothing a couple tylenol and a day off didn't take care of. I ran a 5k on Jan. 24 in 22:18 but half the course was snow covered so I hope to be well under 21 when I run my next 5k (hopefully this Saturday).
              Ran a new 5K PR of 21:38 today. Didn't want to double post the report; it's already in the 5K Forum. Race Report
                Nice run. Your splits look quite nice. The only questionable thing I see is the 5:20 something fastest pace in mile one. That probably was downhill though so if thats the case you did quite well! You didnt die on the last mile though a little slower than mile 2. I got snowed out of my race this past weekend. I owuld have finished 4th or 5th of 18 had I run. Fifth place was around 22 minutes but they had 4 inches of snow so I may have been around 22 minutes had I ran. There were only 18 runners in all that ran.
                  Thanks. Most of the first mile was a long, gradual downhill. I had lined up a row or two behind the really fast runners, hung with them for a bit out of the gates, then forced myself to slow down when the course flattened out a little.
                    I have the same goal for this year. Right now I am in week 3 of Hal Higdon's advanced 5k training plan. My first shot will be next weekend (An Ras Mor 5K), but my best chance wil probably come at the end of the program: April 26 (Architecture for Humanity Boston 5K). My PR is 20:30 in late 2006. But hopefully my training will be better this time around. If I don't get sub-20:00 in either upcoming race, I'll give it another try in November. Good luck everyone!

The Greatest of All Time

If I don't get sub-20:00 in either upcoming race, I'll give it another try in November. Good luck everyone!
                      Thanks for having such a great attitude. That's the spirit and you will break 20.
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                        As of yesterday I have a new PR of 21.55 Big grin Still some way to go though. I'm hoping to get to 21 mins in 2008 and then look towards 20 mins in 2009.
                          As of yesterday I have a new PR of 21.55 Big grin Still some way to go though. I'm hoping to get to 21 mins in 2008 and then look towards 20 mins in 2009.
                          Congratulations!!! That's great. Smile You and I have the same goal for this year. Yes

Michelle

Nice job!
                              I'm beginning my 5th year running (I'll also be 55 this year). Last year by far was my best year. My goal for a 5K was to finally break the elusive 24:00 barrier for me. I finally ran a 21:37 on the same course. I also shattered my 5M times by about 5 minutes 37mins and change and ran two 10Ks in the low 47s. All of these were faster paces than any of my previous 5K paces. But I'm not greedy, so this year my goal for the 5K is to break 21:00 and get under a 7 min mile pace.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Supa Dupa Fly

Sub 20 is my current goal as well. I ran a PR of 16:11 my Junior year in high school (14 years ago) and took about 12 years off from running after high school. I ran my first 5K last June after picking running back up about 6 months earlier @ 23:55. My next one in September was @ 21:55. I ran a third a few weeks ago @ 20:22; Almost there! I'm curious as to how low I could go if I really committed to training. I'm not sure i'll ever be in the neighborhood of my PR again though. Has anyone had any success in getting back into great shape after taking years (and years) off?
                                ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--