Time (Read 1202 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

When I run 61 minutes, I think of that as 61 minutes rather than as one hour and one minute. Likewise, when I run 400 meters in 93 seconds, I think of it as 93 seconds rather than as 1 minute 33 seconds. When I try to log these times, however, I need to convert seconds above 59 to minutes and minutes above 59 to hours. Can you alter the calculator to allow me to enter these as either 93 seconds or 1 minute 33 seconds (i.e., if I use a colon)? Thanks! Trent
    eric :)

Hi Trent, your request is not unreasonable but I don't know how to go about doing it. Under what circumstance do I display 93 instead of 1:33? When do I go from seconds to its canonical form? Obviously, 600 seconds should be displayed as 10:00. What about 94? 105?
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hi Trent, your request is not unreasonable but I don't know how to go about doing it. Under what circumstance do I display 93 instead of 1:33? When do I go from seconds to its canonical form? Obviously, 600 seconds should be displayed as 10:00. What about 94? 105?
        I think it is really an issue of data entry not display. If you can read the data regardless of how I enter it, I don't mind you "translating" it to a minute:second or hour:minute display. Also, on a related note, I often run one hour and thirty minutes, but when I enter 1:30, RA appropriately thinks I am entering 1 minute 30 seconds. This can be confusing; I wonder if I enter something that leads to an unrealistic pace calculation that RA asks me to add in the extra ":00".
          I second this suggestion. I have entered 60 before for one hour and have to go back and change it. I agree it is more how you enter times than how you display them (ie, I am cool with having 60 mins translated to 1 hour).
            It just shows you can't please everyone. I was going to suggest making it so it was not necessary to enter colons when entering times. The software knows it is a time, and should be able to insert them, allowing me to be a lazy typer. :-) So 23 would result in 00:00:23, 123 would be 00:01:23, and 20123 would be 2:01:23. This would make data entry easier (stinking colons, I have to press shift!), but would conflict with entering things like 101 minutes as 101.

It just shows you can't please everyone. I was going to suggest making it so it was not necessary to enter colons when entering times. The software knows it is a time, and should be able to insert them, allowing me to be a lazy typer. :-) So 23 would result in 00:00:23, 123 would be 00:01:23, and 20123 would be 2:01:23. This would make data entry easier (stinking colons, I have to press shift!), but would conflict with entering things like 101 minutes as 101.
              See what my problem is now? Write code to make the computer understand what we really mean is a pain, even though it's trivial to us.
                Eric: How about if we all run exactly 1 hour a day and solve this problem. Hey I ran 1 today.....how about that? Orangeman

Orange Man and Eric.

Eric: How about if we all run exactly 1 hour a day and solve this problem. Hey I ran 1 today.....how about that? Orangeman
                  It sounds appealing but I'm sure there's a catch somewhere. Oh yes. If we all run exactly 1 hour a day, there wont be a need for this site. This site is here because it's hard to make, which is most of the fun :-)
                    But how many miles did I run in that hour? Was it 42 or 43 degrees out? How many feet did I climb and descend? And where can I include that I was chased by my neighbor's vicious cat who must have thought I was a squirel? See! There still is a need for this site! Aren't you relieved?
                    JakeKnight

But how many miles did I run in that hour? Was it 42 or 43 degrees out? How many feet did I climb and descend? And where can I include that I was chased by my neighbor's vicious cat who must have thought I was a squirel? See! There still is a need for this site! Aren't you relieved?
                      All hail Queen Abbaroodle. Note: I have no idea what you were going on about. But I'm sure it's brilliant, your royalness. Have you started banishing people from your kingdom yet? I was so looking forward to it.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Note: I have no idea what you were going on about. But I'm sure it's brilliant, your royalness.
                        Who do you think I am, a phillosopher? They are brilliant and usually know how to cite references. After JFarm said that we should all just run 1 hour a day, Eric then said his sight would be unnecessary. I was just pointing out that we would then know how many hours we ran a week, but we would still need his sight to figure out how far. And the elevation. And everything else we can record. Man, why is this the second night I can't sleep? Its so not fair given that my alarm is going off at 4 tomorrow!!!
                        Have you started banishing people from your kingdom yet? I was so looking forward to it.
                        <covering ears="" and="" eyes="" and="" ignoring="" jake.=""></covering>
                        JakeKnight

Eric then said his sight would be unnecessary.
                          Well that's just silly, your majesticness. If he's blind, how's he going to make all the changes to his site that we all constantly request?
                          Man, why is this the second night I can't sleep?
                          You're probably worried about Eric's impending blindness. Or deep in thought over how best to rule your kingdom.
                          Covering ears and eyes and ignoring Jake.
                          You could just order me to the dungeon or something. You're new to this whole queen thing, aren't you? Call me when the banishments start. I'll bring popcorn, your regal queenitudeness.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

You'll ruin your knees!

...must I type?

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...must I type?
                              If you pay me enough I would type for you...damn, that would be a secretary, huh? And I'm a sucky typist. On second thought, nevermind... Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Runners. Miles upon miles, trying to squeeze every ounce of exertion from our bodies, and yet we just....can't.. be bothered to .....hold down the ...(pant pant)...shift key to make that colon....(collapses on the floor) Fractional seconds of my life I will never get back. Wink