3:34 marathoner about to run a 10k. How to prepare? (Read 162 times)

Rado Buransky

I am curious about your secret tricks to become a bit faster. Essential excercies, typical mistakes, tapering recommendation, etc. As you can see I can run some distance, but I'd like to become faster at least for the race day. Thanks

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

RA race predictor had you doing a 3:26: 26 marathon based on your 10k time. What were the race conditions? Did you taper? I am not a speed runner. There  800 meter intervals in your log. Keep doing those.  I  could not tell how long you rested  between intervals.

PS: Your mileage for marathon training was low. Why? You are average <30 miles / 50k a week.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Training plans Take a look at this thread.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Rado Buransky

Thanks. I took inspiration from this training:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51123/10K-Intermediate-Training-Program

I will do 400m intervals starting with 4x and ending with 12x. Let's see.

xhristopher

I am curious about your secret tricks to become a bit faster. Essential excercies, typical mistakes, tapering recommendation, etc. As you can see I can run some distance, but I'd like to become faster at least for the race day. Thanks

At your level I don't think this is rocket science. Just adding some mileage, er kilometerage, will make you faster. Some basic speedwork, say 800s, get you accustom to the turnover.

npaden

I've used the Hansons 10K plan a couple times to prepare for a goal 10K race.

You can check it out in my training log under training plans.

Nothing exciting, just speed work a couple times a week and decent mileage.

Seemed to work for me.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

running metalhead

I am pretty much in the same league as you, 3:21:something in the 26 miler and 1:30:08 in the half.

I suck terribly at 10K, in such a way that my best time at this distance was 41 minutes something when I reached the 10km mark during a half marathon.

My issue with the 10Ks is that it does not allow margin for error: You have to have everything worked out right from the beginning. IN a marathon or a HM you have time to adapt and you can be irregular up to a point. In a 10K not.

Regarding race prepping: Do not taper, this is not necessary. If you want rest the day before, but tapering, carb loading, etc is only for marathons.

Be careful with what you eat the day before the race and don't eat before the race, take something light if you fee like, but recall that a small episode of GI discomfort can ruin your race.

Warming up is extremely important: You don't have the luxury of spending 10 minutes at low pace to warm up like in a marathon, you need to start pacing yourself correctly right from the beginning.

As of race strategy: Pfizinger says that you have to start a bit slower than your target pace, increasing it and holding it during mid race and if possible sprint the last km or so.... I have never got the feeling of it and I an normally very tired at 3/4 race, I know it is all psychological.

My best 10K race was the last I ran, I did 46 minutes something, not my best time but it was the first time I enjoyed the race, and this was because I did not race it at all.

Try to place yourself from the beginning correctly avoiding slower runners in front. This is also important as in some races they put the groups of business team runners before the recreational ones, you need to know the start composition to allow you to set a strategy. And if you do have a competition licence try not to position yourself at the front unless you are sure you can do the run in less than 40 minutes.

Regarding training: You need to put more speed intervals, maybe one or two 5K tempo runs, if you finish these under 19 minutes you are fine.

And the most important: Keep your concentration.

So, now that I have written ail this down it's time for me to apply it to myself Smile

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Rado Buransky

That's a good post Enric. I had the same feelings, now I am sure. I'll add some tempo/pace runs and 400m intervals. I'll also reduce mileage and I can't go wrong. Or maybe I can. Thanks.

If you have run a marathon in 3:34 you already have a good base.Do a hill session once a week.find a hill 300 metres with a decent grade .do 10 repeats.run up and jog down.as you get near the top of each repeat you should be anaerobic if you have applied yourself.this made the difference for  me when I was trying to qualify for Boston.

SMART Approach

When is the 10K? The last thing you want to do is reduce mileage.  You are not a high mileage runner. You need stamina work more than anything.  I am a fan of critical velocity reps or 10K effort paced reps - like 5-6 x 1K and then some faster striders or 4-5 x 200m.  Do this one day per week and then other day mix in some tempo paced miles within a longer run. A progressive tempo will serve you well.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Rado Buransky

I plan to run about 30k - 55k per week.  I hope that for a 10k race that should be enough.