Best speed/interval training for HM prep???? (Read 635 times)

OK - I have been running more seriously since January training for a 1/2 marathon at the end of May. I am basically using the Hal Hignon plan and doing my long run on Sundays. I'd like to add some speed/interval work. Any suggestions on what is best? Like how hard/long to run and what type of rest intervals between the hard intervals? I recently moved my running from the treadmill to outside but am not opposed to using the treadmill for the speedwork. Thanks in advance for any suggestions Smile
    Elena
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Which Higdon plan are you using? You may want to make your log public so we can see what you've been doing. Easier to make suggestions that way. This thread has some workouts geared towards 15k~25k, which includes the HM.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

OK I did that. I actually didn't know that it wasn't defaulted that way so thanks! I am using the beginning one. It has increasing runs on T and TH (started at 3 miles and goes up to about 5 miles) and the long run on Sunday (started at 4 and goes up to 9 or 10). I modified the plan as it was a 9 week one and I had a lot longer to train. I am going to go up to about 11-12 for my longest run. I also cross train with walking and weights. I did intervals today and I am going to try and figure out how to post them in my log. BTW I am a Michigan grad too! Smile
        Elena
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

jadejewel, I don't know your total history (i.e. are you new to running, raced before, current mileage base), but if you are relatively new, be very cautious in adding too much interval work too fast. Intervals are a great way to boost performance, but if you don't have a sufficient mileage base and aerobic fitness, you may not reap the benefits, and/or you may get injured. Be careful and listen to your body. Oh, and Go Blue! And watch out for JakeKnight. We haven't heard from him in a while, but in addition to looking a little hairy, he's also a big-time Sparty.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thanks a lot. I will just add intervals slowly since I had not been running regularly before the 1st of the year (although I've been working out consistently with weights and various cardio forever). I would guess that I have good aerobic fitness but NOT much in the way of a mileage base. Thanks again for the input Jeff.
            Elena