Another PB for me race report. (Read 733 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Just completed another race, 4 mile road race, which I did last year in 27:22. I expected to knock a little off it this time. I set off at a reserved pace, holding back purposely in order to save myself for the miles to come. The first mile was very easy, almost effortless, as I didnt push the pace whatsoever, and completed it in 6:23. Others around me were breathing heavy already and this gave me the confidence I needed, and reassurance that I had gone out at a good proper pace. Mile 2 was a little quicker at 6:13, and still I felt extremely fit and 'flying' Going into mile 3, I realised I was stronger than those around me and so I started picking people off, what a great feeling this was to over take people. There were quite a few people that I really wanted to beat from local running clubs, and I could see them ahead. Mile 3: 6:05. In the last mile I decided to push the pace, and I overtook loads more people: including all the people I so wanted to beat. With about 1000 metres to go I was feeling the pain, and thought I may have pushed too ealry, but continued and pushed hard to the finish and clocked a final mile of 6:07. My overall official chip time was 24:56 but my garmin clocked 24:58 for 4.04 miles. That is 6:11 miling. Last year I averaged in the same race (actually 10 months ago) 6:50 mile pace. This is great news for me and gives me so much confidence for up and coming races. I placed 41st out of 159. Here are the results for those of you that are interested. http://www.race-results.co.uk/results/2008/chorley1.htm I think you can see that this attracts some speedy runners, and I am so happy with my result. Hopefully soon (my next goal) I will go sub 6 average. Comments welcome please.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nice race, Eddy! Nice job with the negative splits!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

24:56, Nice job! Smile I am still amazed how fast you are dude. "I will go sub 6 average" Best on that pursuit. When you running a marathon?

Vim

Slow-smooth-fast

24:56, Nice job! Smile I am still amazed how fast you are dude. "I will go sub 6 average" Best on that pursuit. When you running a marathon?
          I have applied for the London next year, but for now I am happy with the short quick races.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

JakeKnight

I have no comments. I have questions. Questions like: Weren't you fat and slow like 5 minutes ago? What the hell do you eat? Is that magic thing you do real magic, and does it require a wand? Can you teach me? Have you written a book yet? Can I borrow it?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You have a good deal of natural speed, so don't get too swept up into marathoning too soon!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Slow-smooth-fast

I have no comments. I have questions. Questions like: Weren't you fat and slow like 5 minutes ago? What the hell do you eat? Is that magic thing you do real magic, and does it require a wand? Can you teach me? Have you written a book yet? Can I borrow it?
                Thats funny Jake. I struggle with my weight, always up and down. Still weighing in around 193lbs. I know I can go faster, a little more magic school and I will find the right spell! Nice comment btw, makes me feel that I did well

Why is it sideways?

You have a good deal of natural speed, so don't get too swept up into marathoning too soon!
                  I second this comment. Plenty of time for marathoning later. Keep developing your speed now--it will pay off down the road in the marathon. Good work! Those are very impressive times for a man of your size.

Slow-smooth-fast

I second this comment. Plenty of time for marathoning later. Keep developing your speed now--it will pay off down the road in the marathon. Good work! Those are very impressive times for a man of your size.
                    Yeah the marathon is the last thing on my mind. The thing is, when I do a PR like this, I think, how on earth am I gonna top this time. I am going to be wise this time, and just keep with my nice and easy miles. There is no way I am going to get injured again!

JakeKnight

Thats funny Jake. I struggle with my weight, always up and down. Still weighing in around 193lbs. I know I can go faster, a little more magic school and I will find the right spell! Nice comment btw, makes me feel that I did well
                      I wasn't joking (much). It seems like last week you were posting before and after pictures and desperately trying to get close to a 20:00 5-k. I don't know if I've ever seen anybody improve this fast and this relentlessly. It's a little scary. I checked your website. Can I hire you to wave your wand and make me faster?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Why is it sideways?

The thing is, when I do a PR like this, I think, how on earth am I gonna top this time.
                        You've only scratched the surface.

Slow-smooth-fast

You've only scratched the surface.
                          I hope so, I know that my gains have been quite good since starting back in Nov 06, I would say the key has been perserverance. I hope to see my times improve.