My first 5k (Read 585 times)

I'm running my first 5k July 14th... I currently run about 15 miles a week. I have no clue what time I should be shooting for or anything else. I'm pretty much just doing this to say I did and set a PR. Any tips, suggestions, good luck wishes would be appreciated Shy
      Congrats. and good luck. Smile Your log says you're currently running around 10-10:30 miles and with the adrenaline of your first race, you'll be able to go faster, but try and resist the temptation to go out *too fast*. A 9:30 pace should put you somewhere in the middle of the pack, so when you line up at the starting line... try to eyeball it that way.. Make sure there's as many people behind you as there are ahead of you. That'll help you settle in to a decent pace.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Go Pre!

yes, and don't line up near the front (because that's where all of the 11:00-12:00 minute milers start from! grrr) *jokes*
        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Just go out and have fun. No matter what you do it will be a learning experience. A 5k is a very forgiving race -- even if you go out too fast you'll have no trouble finishing.
          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
            A 9:30 pace should put you somewhere in the middle of the pack, so when you line up at the starting line... try to eyeball it that way.. Make sure there's as many people behind you as there are ahead of you. That'll help you settle in to a decent pace.
            I agree. Most importantly, don't let racer pressure get to you this time. Don't start out too fast. You want to make sure that you can finish the race! If you have energy left near the end of the race then you can push yourself and pick up the pace. Good luck! Have fun with it too.

Michelle

Thanks everyone, very helpful Smile