40s+ on the Run - Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow! (Read 1089 times)

Hey All! Been doin' the family thing this weekend, so this is the first time I've been able to get on here since Friday morning. I'm taking a chance starting a new thread for the week. Otherwise, we'll end up having to wade through pages and pages of stuff eventually. Got in a 6 mile run on Saturday before the rest of the fam damily got up. Felt good. Since then, I have proceeded to eat way too much. But the last of 'em are leaving tomorrow, so I'll be able to get back to the old routine. I know I haven't said welcome to some of you, and I'll have to learn who ya'll are - but welcome to those I've missed. Later!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Still doing the ski thing, dw and I did 45 minutes today. Its hard for me to go fast enough without crashing. Dw is somewhat balance challenged and will wake up with a swollen black and blue ankle that she hit with the opposite ski. Anyway won't run probably until January when my class resumes, want to get all my owies healed completely. We don't do the family thing until tommorow nite and all my suppliers are off so I can't do any work (well I could do some work) so I am bored, bored, bored. Now if I can practice Jonathon's 2 rules for the holidays, indulge but choose quality over quanity, get outside and exercise. Good runs 40's folks even if you have to slip out when everybody is sleeping after dinner with their pants unbuttoned at top for room Wink Wink sorry for the visual Roll eyes

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Sierra Foothills Runner

Yep, gotta keep it up no matter how busy or how much food & drink we consume Dead , huh? Ran 7 yesterday and again today & am determined to even get a run in on Christmas Day since Tuesday is a regular run day for me. Will try to get the family & dogs out for a walk with me - let them share my pain Wink Merry Christmas all you 40+ -- may Santa bring you lots of running gear to keep you motivated and may the new year bring many opportunities to use that running gear Big grin
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Still doing the ski thing, dw and I did 45 minutes today. Its hard for me to go fast enough without crashing. Dw is somewhat balance challenged and will wake up with a swollen black and blue ankle that she hit with the opposite ski. Anyway won't run probably until January when my class resumes, want to get all my owies healed completely. We don't do the family thing until tommorow nite and all my suppliers are off so I can't do any work (well I could do some work) so I am bored, bored, bored. Now if I can practice Jonathon's 2 rules for the holidays, indulge but choose quality over quanity, get outside and exercise. Good runs 40's folks even if you have to slip out when everybody is sleeping after dinner with their pants unbuttoned at top for room Wink Wink sorry for the visual Roll eyes
          LOL, I can relate to your wife! I CANNOT make it down even a slight hill on XC skis without falling over. Once DH and I were skiing in a state park in Maine, and I was wearing blue jeans. I would fall over every so often. Some people came up from behind and said, "Oh, so you're the one leaving the trail of blue spots!" Sigh. At least I don't fall over when I'm running (thanks to my YakTrax). Today I did my scheduled 3.5 miles. It was 32 degrees - balmy after my 10 degree run on Saturday. It felt effortless and wonderful. Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day, so I will enjoy Christmas with my family. Merry Christmas, everyone! Teresa
            Merry Christmas Eve everyone, Hello to both seasoned runners and to any new runners. Sounds like a great bunch of folks over here. Joe.....your new pup, awwwww. Woot, woot on the runs. I ran the most pathetic 4 miles this morning ever. The last couple of days I have seriously overindulged in too much Christmas spirit, both liquids and solids. So dehydrated, I felt a tad sick. Anyway....having some family over tonight and then off to Ocala tomorrow for a couple of days. Enjoy your days.......and happy holidays to you all. May you have many, many good runs in the days/months to come. Jewels
            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
              Hiya 40's! Been crazy busy pet sitting, wrapping presents, being sociable, and running of course. But I did want to pop in and wish everyone a Merry Christmas. Welcome to everyone who has joined us 40's (or thereabouts, or were once, or will be someday)! Leslie, good job dealing with the family. Isn't running a wonderful gift around the holidays??...as in..."sorry guys, I'd love to stay and discuss Aunt Polly's diverticulitis, but I have to go run." Or "Hey honey, how about if you do the dishes while I go run?". r2, good job with the cross training! Sounds like a good plan to give your body a bit of a break. My forced 6 weeks off has yielded a new appreciation for running and hopefully a little smarter approach that includes listening to my body. Hope you find some similar benefits! Bugsmom, way to go with keeping up the running schedule over the holidays! I hope to be running with you (virtually) on Christmas Day. It's a great way to keep from overstuffing and languishing on the couch. Plus the dogs love it! Hope you can recruit some family members to keep you company. Teresa, don't you just love those days where it feels so good? Hah!!! I think one of the reasons I love running is that it doesn't take too much coordination. And hey....blue spots in the snow are better than a yellow line! Jewels, sorry your run was sucky. At least you can pinpoint the cause. Sometimes there's just no telling why we have those days. Have fun with your family and in Ocala! Hubby gave me a membership in the Lake Grapevine Runners & Walkers Club, and also incuded himself. Very cool gift!!!! Spareribs, if you're still posting here, now I really need to make it out there. I'm delighted with the gift, and doubly delighted that hubby signed up too. Running has been going well, as I slowly ramp back up. 6 miles Friday, Weights + 4 miles Sunday, and walking/jogging w/ dogs for cross-training today. Well, that's all the news that's fit to print. Again, Merry Christmas to RA's, CR's, and anyone else who happens by!
              Progress Trumps Pefection

Gotta TRI

Hey hey 40's. Merry Christmas (Eve), Just got back last night from the whirl wind Christmas scramble between my wifes and my families. Did squeeze in a 4 miler Sat. family obligations aside, we can now enjoy a quiet holiday home alone Big grin. BTW, have now entered a new world, and am SO PSYCHED!!!!! Yes, I now have an IPOD!!! OMG< these things are great!!!! i can't wait for a run now!!! talk to ya later 40's have a safe and happy holiday andy these="" things="" are="" great!!!!="" i="" can't="" wait="" for="" a="" run="" now!!!="" talk="" to="" ya="" later="" 40's="" have="" a="" safe="" and="" happy="" holiday=""></ these things are great!!!! i can't wait for a run now!!! talk to ya later 40's have a safe and happy holiday andy>
                2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Teresa, don't you just love those days where it feels so good? Hah!!! I think one of the reasons I love running is that it doesn't take too much coordination. And hey....blue spots in the snow are better than a yellow line! Shocked LOL! Yes, you're right, Carol. Congrats on the membership in the club. Your husband is very thoughtful! I CANNOT WAIT TO OPEN MY GARMIN FROM MY HUSBAND!! Angry Maybe I should go try to find it... Teresa
                    Hi Folks - Lethargy?crappy run due to alcohol and overindulgence, snow, snow, snow and swollen ankles from whacking it with the poles, blue spots in the snow, running club memberships - You guys keep things interesting! Did 6 2-minute strides this morning. Once again, had to yell at myself the whole time to get me through them. Ugh! But of course, when I get done, I'm proud of myself or not ween-ee-ing out and quitting. The rest of the family left this a.m. ( Big grin), and we got ourselves outta the house, went for a drive, and a walk around town. Checked out some boots at the local Picky, Picky, Picky store, and will go back Wednesday and buy them. Need some warm, waterproof boots for Prague! The trip's getting closer and closer, so we need to actually start getting our act together - boots, gloves, thermal underwear. R2 - Thanks for the info on shoes for running the snow, but I just can't justify spending the money for only a few runs. Will hopefully be able to get by with my trail shoes. We've been looking at some Prague restaurant web sites, and it's definitely going to be a challenge keeping the pounds off. Lots of cheese, cream, meats, stews, fattening desserts - I can feel myself gaining weight just thinking about it! Here's wishing you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanza, Holiday Greetings - just a relaxing, nice time tomorrow.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Tamara40

oh my GOSH I have MISSED you guys...been outta town for several days and I'm having withdrawals! Merry Christmas everyone! Have I mentioned the holidays really really stress me out? I haven't been able to run since Saturday and I feel fat fat fat. Not to be mistaken for phat. I did hike each day though, so that was a nice break in routine, and I love it when the dogs can come along. GAWD my family is dysfunctional. Carol, you're 41 now? Have a great week you fab 40's, and I'm so excited to get to know all the new peeps!

flatland mountaineer

Merry Christmas 40's folks!! Expanded my weight session an extra set yesterday. Did the fam thing last night with Nebraska prime rib and an extra glass of wine but in general behaved myself. Just dw and I today, maybe we will ski, snow getting a little rotten but more on the way today. I want to run really bad. Patience is a virtue, just not one of mine. Wink Teresa lol on the blue patches, we can so relate! Leslie I think your trail runners will be fine in the snow. My road shoes can be a pain as I get a snowball built up in the open U shaped space in the heels that trail shoes don't have. BugsM good job getting out there during the holidays. Jewels glad you got out there, may the New Year bring no" sucky runs." ..........("sucky run" official 40's on the run term, thanks Carol lol) Andy, an Ipod kewl!! my dw just loves hers. Carol, sounds like you're going to enjoy that membership. Tamora dysfunctional families? aren't they all Wink Wink just kidding Smile Joe thats a really cute pup!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Gotta TRI

MERRY CHRISTMAS 40's!! Had to post real kwik to share a new PB! How do you guys track mileage for a run/workout? If we're talking actual runnning miles I just did 8.85 in approx: 1:27. However, that is where I stop runnning and I usually walk my last 1/2 mile to cool down which brings total distance to:9.45 and 1:37:27. either way, new records on both counts for me :-0 That new IPOD is working out great!!! What a way to run. The first 1/2 hour or so I ran to a Lance Armstrong intervals workout, and the rest of the run I just enjoyed music. Ipod also tracked time distance and pace. Wow! Can't beleive I ran on Christmas day. ( Also a first ) Well 40's thanks for letting me rejoice for a minute, hope all of you have had wonderful Christmasses as well. Andy
                          2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                            Wanted to stop in and say Merry Christmas. Coach scheduled me off for Christmas day instead of tomorrow (whatta guy!), so I've been sitting around on my hind end all day. We did our big dinner on Saturday when my family was here, so last night hub and I made a big pot of Navy beans with the hammock. Mmm Good! Been watching' James Bond gettin' it on with all the women he comes across (cripes, but Pierce Bosnan is good looking!! Hubba, hubba!!). Not quite sure how the women can be in fires, buildings blown up around them, running for their lives, yet the next camera shot, their hair and makeup is perfect, clothes clean . . . just the way I look at the end of all my runs. And I smell ggggrrrreat! Big grin Later!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

saltyd

Hi All, I made it out for my last long run of 12 miles Sunday. I was feeling a little tired and didn't have the best workout, but it felt good to be out in the fresh air. Now just shorter easier runs until the PF Chang 1/2 on the 13th. Christmas Eve was spent party hopping with SO and dad. He got to town Sunday afternoon. Christmas was nice with SO and dad having breakfast, then opening presents, then playing cards, then a wonderful ham and all the fixins'. I hope everyone is having a safe and enjoyable holiday. Salty
                              Saltyd Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.
                                Salty - Good luck on the 13th! That should be a HUGE crowd! Holy Crap has this morning beenr ridiculous! We shut down for 4 days and you'd think the whole frigging world had come to an end! And then I get to work and found out that one boss has taken the rest of the week off (didn't tell, but left a note - thanks!) and the other one called and isn't coming in. That's it - I'm making a managerial decision and closing at 3:00 today. Anybody got any hot toddies I can sip on until then? It might just keep me from killing a few clients. Whew! Now that I got that off my chest . . . Tongue An hour of strength training with The Firm gals. This one move - where you put your toe on a 18" step behind you, the front leg is bent at a 90 degree angle, weight on the shoulder of the front leg, a pole in hand for stability, then raise up and down on the front leg for a few reps - Ugh! Dead I'm very glad today was an indoor workout 'cause it hailed like crazy in the middle of my workout. And in thinking about my running route, if I'd been outside, there wouldn't have been anywhere to go. Guess it would've made me tougher, though, huh??

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance