Any questions for the Garmin people? (Read 2236 times)

Perhaps it's different than on the 305, but all I have to do is hold the mode button until a pop-up window opens that allows me to quickly change sport and indoor/outdoor mode.  I have found this to be useful during multi-sport events, since I don't trust myself to remember to do the actual auto multi-sport set-up and push the buttons before/after each transition.

I've had another look at the 310xt menus and I don't think it works that way, although if someone knows different I'd be happy to discover how it can be done.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've had another look at the 310xt menus and I don't think it works that way, although if someone knows different I'd be happy to discover how it can be done.

Did you try holding down the mode button?  Do you get a pop-up menu?  I don't think this is mentioned anywhere in the mostly useless instruction manual.  Someone here at RA gave me a heads-up on this maybe a year ago.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Did you try holding down the mode button?  Do you get a pop-up menu?  I don't think this is mentioned anywhere in the mostly useless instruction manual.  Someone here at RA gave me a heads-up on this maybe a year ago.

Yeah you get a menu, but it just has entries for changing the sport - I see options called "Running", "Bike1", "Bike2", "Bike3", "Other".

1. The Garmin OEM software (specifically Training Center and Connect) is mediocre, and that is being generous. The poor quality of these products detracts from perception of their hardware products, what are their long term plans for both these software products?  Are they going to increase investment, decrease, or remain static?  Why not get out of these products and let ISVs (like RA) handle it?

2. Is it technically practical to utilize the surface area of the Forerunner to add some solar charging ability to the unit?  Or is this a cost-driven restriction?

3. Why not build a software app to let us totally configure the device (displays, settings, features) from the app, rather than on the device?

4. Please add a "predicted finish time" function to the device -- I put in the distance to be covered and the device looks at average pace over the distance currently covered and predicts a total elapsed time.

+1

I've really found that their software is pretty useless and just let it run throught the process then sut it off and log my run in RA.  And it would be awesome if we could configure the unit through an app!

I hope they listen to you.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah you get a menu, but it just has entries for changing the sport - I see options called "Running", "Bike1", "Bike2", "Bike3", "Other".

Huh...no indoor/outdoor?  I think mine has running, biking, other, then the indoor/outdoor below that.  I guess it's kind of 2 menus on one screen.  Nice, quick way to change sport and/or GPS mode.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hey hey!  Now you and I already talked about this one over Italian food in Boston....  

Yes, I remember. but I wasn't sure if you're involved in this interview. Plus, perhaps if they hear it again and again, perhaps they'll do it.

an amazing likeness

The Garmin Connect website has potential. If they could introduce some slightly more advanced features (taking inspiration from things like the customisable summary page on RA)

Oh, I don't know how about the ABILITY TO ENTER A FREAKIN' DATE in any of their searches (report, calendar) and NOT CLICK 1,000,000,000 times on STUPID USELESS CALENDAR CONTROLS !

If you have data in Garmin Connect, try this:  Get your activity list from May 1, 2009 to May 12, 2009.  I'll wait....no, actually I wont wait because you'll be there all effin day.  I can do it in like 4 seconds here on RA.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Beginner all over again

I am working on interview questions for the folks at Garmin about their GPS running watches.

Anything you want answered?  Let me know Smile

I charged my Garmin Forefunner 305 for this morning.

Charge complete.

Then I was ready to out the door for my morning run.

The Garmin wouldn't power on.  Shocked

Mild panic

I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyAw-4GjUJA on Google

I had to do the Hard Reset.

It's fine now.

I am working on interview questions for the folks at Garmin about their GPS running watches.

Anything you want answered?  Let me know Smile

Do they use any human factors engineers during their development cycle for their devices and / or software?  What type of user centric testing do they do?

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

kcam

1. The Garmin OEM software (specifically Training Center and Connect) is mediocre, and that is being generous. The poor quality of these products detracts from perception of their hardware products, what are their long term plans for both these software products?  Are they going to increase investment, decrease, or remain static?  Why not get out of these products and let ISVs (like RA) handle it?

2. Is it technically practical to utilize the surface area of the Forerunner to add some solar charging ability to the unit?  Or is this a cost-driven restriction?

3. Why not build a software app to let us totally configure the device (displays, settings, features) from the app, rather than on the device?

4. Please add a "predicted finish time" function to the device -- I put in the distance to be covered and the device looks at average pace over the distance currently covered and predicts a total elapsed time.

#3!   Why the heck can't I do everything from a software app? The weak spot of these watches is the buttons - they have a finite number of button activations before they die.  

drrbradford

Do they use any human factors engineers during their development cycle for their devices and / or software?  What type of user centric testing do they do?

+1

Ruler of one

A question I'd like asked loudly: WHY THE FUCKING HELL DON'T YOU JUST SPEND A COUPLE OF HOURS WORKING ON A LINUX COMPATIBLE DRIVER?

+1

But I wouldn't ask so nicely.

Lynx

MTA: the move to Bing maps on the connect website was a step backwards, the old google maps were better.  What would be even better, here in the UK at least, would be to use OS maps, which are much higher quality, especially when you're away from roads (although I think there are licensing/cost issues).

+1 hate Bing, google maps were better.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'll ask this , but I will probably reword this one to sound nicer!  The other three I'll ask as is.  

Why not just present this thread exactly as we see it?  Seems like the Garmin people ought to know their users' feelings.

I'm not sure how to phrase it (other than just by being whiny): what's the deal with durability?  I baby my 305.  The first one had trouble almost from the beginning, and I exchanged it just before the 1-year warranty period expired.  The replacement started out great, but now (after seven months) it's losing its sound (nearly completely) and refusing to play with Training Center.

I mention this because I've looked several times at the 210, 405CX, 410, and 310XT.  But at their prices and given the durability experience I've had with two 305s, I can't work up the nerve to gamble that kind of cash.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau