Any questions for the Garmin people? (Read 2236 times)

HermosaBoy

The replacement started out great, but now (after seven months) it's losing its sound (nearly completely) and refusing to play with Training Center.

I have had SEVERAL lose sound.  Last call to them, they said it was from sweat getting into the speaker (since the speaker holes are on the bottom of the unit against your wrist).

Replaced this one and got a velcro band (at their suggestion).  They said that the band would help prevent the issue.  This remains to be seen...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

an amazing likeness

I'm not sure how to phrase it (other than just by being whiny): what's the deal with durability?  I baby my 305.  The first one had trouble almost from the beginning, and I exchanged it just before the 1-year warranty period expired.  The replacement started out great, but now (after seven months) it's losing its sound (nearly completely) and refusing to play with Training Center.

I mention this because I've looked several times at the 210, 405CX, 410, and 310XT.  But at their prices and given the durability experience I've had with two 305s, I can't work up the nerve to gamble that kind of cash.

From all I hear -- the Forerunners are either fragile or rugged, depending on unknown differences in use, person, or device. What you report is not uncommon.  As well as the opposite...for example, my experience is that I have used a Forerunner since May 17, 2006 to log over 2,100 activities.  I've broken one from impact damage and wore the "mode" button out on one, that's it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

From all I hear -- the Forerunners are either fragile or rugged, depending on unknown differences in use, person, or device. What you report is not uncommon.  As well as the opposite...for example, my experience is that I have used a Forerunner since May 17, 2006 to log over 2,100 activities.  I've broken one from impact damage and wore the "mode" button out on one, that's it.

I'm starting to suspect quality control issues.  I swear my first 305 was a FAR better unit than my new one.  The strap on my new one is splitting down the middle (there's sort of a seam down the center that it's cracking along) and I'm going to have to contact Garmin to replace it.  The silvery trim around the face of the unit is also getting sorta crackled around the lap and start/stop buttons.  I've had this new one only a couple of months and it just seems sorta brittle. 

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Cripes, as they say.  While I'm interested in what more I can do to prolong the life of the device, I'm more interested in Garmin thinking about what THEY can do to achieve the same goal.

(As it is, I wear it only for running or cycling.  I dry it off immediately upon completing the activity.  I never leave it in the car (even in my sports bag) where it might be exposed to undue heat.  My "good" watch -- the one my wife bought me as a gift -- sees harsher treatment than my GPS devices.  If the thing can't last 7 months in that kind of environment ... there's no way I'll buy a unit at twice the price.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I am working on interview questions for the folks at Garmin about their GPS running watches.

Anything you want answered?  Let me know Smile

Why is the footpod so expensive?  Compared to a Nike+ thingy, the difference is silly.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Oh, and why does the Garmin Communicator plugin fail with "unsupported browser" (Chrome) messages on Garmin Connect when it works just fine in RA?

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Tiefsa

Why not just present this thread exactly as we see it?  Seems like the Garmin people ought to know their users' feelings.

I'll let them know of this thread, however I won't submit all these suggestions.  I am going to conduct an interview, not an interrogation.  Do any of you here actually like their product?  It sure doesn't seem like it.  

If I went with everything here, the interview would be like this.  "Hey Garmin people.  You have a really cool product, but this sucks, this sucks, this thing over here sucks, oh.. and did I mention that thing sucks too.  Thanks for letting me interview you."

I'll let them know of this thread, however I won't submit all these suggestions.  I am going to conduct an interview, not an interrogation.  Do any of you here actually like their product?  It sure doesn't seem like it.  

If I went with everything here, the interview would be like this.  "Hey Garmin people.  You have a really cool product, but this sucks, this sucks, this thing over here sucks, oh.. and did I mention that thing sucks too.  Thanks for letting me interview you."

Yep, love it. 

but do keep in mind that when you asked for "questions for garmin" it does have the notion that you're looking for things they could improve on.

Funny, but we do the same at my work, and then some of the mgmt get all worked up when negative things are said.  I always figure input is input and just hearing a bunch of "we love it" comments doesn't help us get better.

Tiefsa

Yep, love it. 

but do keep in mind that when you asked for "questions for garmin" it does have the notion that you're looking for things they could improve on.

Funny, but we do the same at my work, and then some of the mgmt get all worked up when negative things are said.  I always figure input is input and just hearing a bunch of "we love it" comments doesn't help us get better.

You're right.  I'm just worried about my website too.  I have a few good interviews on there with runners, but none with people who produce running products.  I don't want to have my first product interview to be all negative.  No other companies would agree to an interview with me then if I trash their products. 

Do any of you here actually like their product?  It sure doesn't seem like it.  

I love it.  I'm more of an analyst than a techie, so from an analytical perspective, I haven't had any problems in over 2 years of use.  From a technical perspective, I haven't figured out exactly all the bells and whistles, but I'm sure I'll buy more Garmin products over the coming years.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I love the 310XT's battery life.  I've gotten 19 hours.  Are they working on ways to extend battery life even further.  A lot of ultrarunners use their products. 

I recently purchased the footpod to use for the cadence function.  I'd like to to have the option of a mentronome so I can hear the cadence.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

Imminent Catastrophe

Dear Garmin peeps, you've always made great hardware but your software used to suck.

Now, your software is good. Thank you!

Garmin 310XT, 405. 

+1 on the 310XT battery life, nice!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Julia1971

I like my Garmin.  Honestly, the only problem I have with it is I have to rubber band it to the cradle.  And, I've owned it for like 4 years.

My non-complainey question would be: have they thought about leveraging social media in their products?  I know Nike+ has some social functions, and people are using Facebook to say where they are.  As one of the bigger players in the GPS athletic market, do they have any plans in that area?

And maybe, what do they think of themselves "replacing" for lack of a better word USTFA course certification?  Do they think GPS could become the standard for measuring courses?

HappyFeat

I use the Garmin Forerunner 205 and absolutely LOVE it - except the strap broke off right away pretty much. But I found a better type of strap anyway and continue to LOVE my Garmin. I would second what someone else said though about wishing the distance/pace alerts would appear larger on the screen. Some of us have "old eyes."

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

I really like my 305.  I program my workouts into Garmin Training Center and download them to the device, at least a month's worth at a time.  I like having a plan, knowing that I have a plan, and being able to see the plan.  GTC is better than anything else I've found for that.

I like crunching the data.  I like comparing new data to old data, especially since I run a lot of the same routes a lot.  GTC isn't bad (although RA and SportTracks are better, IMO).  At least the 305 isn't the crunching limitation; the particular software is.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau