Any questions for the Garmin people? (Read 2236 times)

I'll let them know of this thread, however I won't submit all these suggestions.  I am going to conduct an interview, not an interrogation.  Do any of you here actually like their product?  It sure doesn't seem like it.  

In my response earlier in the thread I said that I liked my 310xt... 

The products are great. I have a 205 and a 305, but I don't have a question about that.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

an amazing likeness

A couple thoughts....

First, the 'negative' comments around what Garmin should do better are actually a reflection of how engaged with the products people are. To most companies, this is an ever-sought goal -- to have customers that passionately want improvement.  A company that gets engaged and emotional feedback has hit a rare jackpot. 

Second, for many joggers (like myself), Garmin's sport devices make all the difference between being an active, engaged participant in a sport, versus something much less focused.  Good or bad -- they have re-defined how many runners (walks, riders, hikers) measure success, set goals, and interact with the sport -- people are assisted to reach new plateaus by the data these devices provide.  The ForeRunner was (is) a game-changer.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

old Paratrooper

A couple thoughts....

First, the 'negative' comments around what Garmin should do better are actually a reflection of how engaged with the products people are. To most companies, this is an ever-sought goal -- to have customers that passionately want improvement.  A company that gets engaged and emotional feedback has hit a rare jackpot. 

Second, for many joggers (like myself), Garmin's sport devices make all the difference between being an active, engaged participant in a sport, versus something much less focused.  Good or bad -- they have re-defined how many runners (walks, riders, hikers) measure success, set goals, and interact with the sport -- people are assisted to reach new plateaus by the data these devices provide.  The ForeRunner was (is) a game-changer.

I would agree with this statement, I use a 305, I've had it for about a year and the only issue I've had is with the heart rate moniter occassionaly spiking--I don't really think I maintain a 265 heart rate! 

As for the difference, I'm a data junkie and whether it is running or cycling I love to see new stuff appear on my charts and graphs, sometimes that is the extra motivation it takes to get out the door and do what needs doin'! 

I own a long list of Garmin products to include several hiking GPS's and a Motorcycle GPS.  Their products are GREAT but across the board their interface software is a weakness.  Up until about a year ago their customer service was far and above everyone else.  I believe they have racheted some of that back to where they are still better than most but it isn't the shining star that it once was, I'm guessing they were spending way more money on replacment of equipment that was out of warrenty than made sense--I know they replaced on of my hiking units that was 3 months out of warrenty. 

SMART Approach

I would agree with this statement, I use a 305, I've had it for about a year and the only issue I've had is with the heart rate moniter occassionaly spiking--I don't really think I maintain a 265 heart rate! 

I occasionally get a spiked HR also but usually the first mile or so. I wet the strap also. BUT, when I put some ultrasound gel on the strap (which adheres and maintains moisture well), I  never get a spiking. To me, I feel it is related to not enough moisture on strap but who knows. I also had a problem in past if strap was too tight.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I occasionally get a spiked HR also but usually the first mile or so. I wet the strap also. BUT, when I put some ultrasound gel on the strap (which adheres and maintains moisture well), I  never get a spiking. To me, I feel it is related to not enough moisture on strap but who knows. I also had a problem in past if strap was too tight.

I have had that happen too, but assumed it was because the first 1/2 mile of all my runs I feel like there's no way I'm going to make it a mile. At about the 1/2 mile point, my body begins to agree with this idea of running, and everything gets easier.  

I'm starting to suspect quality control issues.  I swear my first 305 was a FAR better unit than my new one.  The strap on my new one is splitting down the middle (there's sort of a seam down the center that it's cracking along) and I'm going to have to contact Garmin to replace it. 

Zoom-Zoom,

Interesting, I've had the same issue.  I previously had the 205 for 3 years and had no strap issues.  I have had the 305 for nearly 1 year, and now the strap is cracking just like yours.

Others,

+1 on the software issue.  Because the software was so bad years ago, I switched to Sporttracks (and always had RA of course), and together these two things provide everything I need.  I'm sure they've improved it, but unless I have some kind of problem, I won't be switching.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

chaplanger

Home from Iraq 2005

When I run -- I don't always use my Garmin -- for instance on a familiar route or on a treadmill. Is it possible to add a function in the Garmin tracking (Training Center) software that would allow for other "Non-Garmin" runs to be added in so that it could be a true and complete running diary?

5k: -- 26:12 (12/17/2016)

10k: 58:36 (6/14/2016)

Half: 2:08:23 (7/4/2015)

Longest: 15.03 (5/31/2014)

Half Marathon Bucket List Goals: 15 of 50 states completed / 2 of 7 Continents completed.

When I run -- I don't always use my Garmin -- for instance on a familiar route or on a treadmill. Is it possible to add a function in the Garmin tracking (Training Center) software that would allow for other "Non-Garmin" runs to be added in so that it could be a true and complete running diary?

You could always try this...

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Tramps

I'm starting to suspect quality control issues.  I swear my first 305 was a FAR better unit than my new one. 

+1 

This is a serious issue for them.  If folks start to perceive their products as not very durable, they'll think twice about dropping the cash to buy them...and look at what the alternatives are out there.

+1 to Milktruck's comment about engaged consumers too.  We moan because we care.  That's good.  When we stop caring, that's when they need to worry.

Also, I've always been curious as to why all my Garmin's (three 305's) measure long.  1.01 miles on Garmin = 1 real world mile.  It's so consistent that I set my autolap feature to 1.01 miles to compensate. Shouldn't there be some way to adjust for this?

Finally, any plans to redesign to get the speaker holes away from the skin?  (My sound inevitably dies a few weeks after I get a new 305.) And maybe relocated or less-corrosive set of contact points too?

Be safe. Be kind.

HermosaBoy

Finally, any plans to redesign to get the speaker holes away from the skin?  (My sound inevitably dies a few weeks after I get a new 305.) And maybe relocated or less-corrosive set of contact points too?

+10,000

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Interesting, I've had the same issue.  I previously had the 205 for 3 years and had no strap issues.  I have had the 305 for nearly 1 year, and now the strap is cracking just like yours.

Count me in too guys.  I had my first 205 for 2.5 years before it totally went out on me.  Never had any strap issues.  I replaced that 205 with another and 2 weeks with it I started getting that crack down the middle of the strap. 

xor

4 pages and I haven't seen this one.  It is likely back there somewhere and I just missed it.

Dear Garmin,

What's the deal with the ant stick?  Do we really need a proprietary dongle/communication doodad?  What's the proposed benefit for me? 

It's a pain in the ass to keep up with.  Please consider ditching this silly technology for future devices.  PLEASE.

HermosaBoy

4 pages and I haven't seen this one.  It is likely back there somewhere and I just missed it.

Dear Garmin,

What's the deal with the ant stick?  Do we really need a proprietary dongle/communication doodad?  What's the proposed benefit for me? 

It's a pain in the ass to keep up with.  Please consider ditching this silly technology for future devices.  PLEASE.

You just love talking about dongles...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

xor

I hate ant dongles.