On Wisconsin! (Read 2075 times)

xor

Well, anyway, apologies for not understanding this subtlety to state government.  I just hope that when the cops find them:

1. They are not treated like cops treat Bad People in Seattle lately.  Especially woodcarvers.

2. I do hope that they are "just across the state line" on the other side of the bridge, like in a 1970s movie, and the legislators do some kind of little hokey pokey dance and tell them "you are out of your jurisdiction".

Well, anyway, apologies for not understanding this subtlety to state government.  I just hope that when the cops find them:

1. They are not treated like cops treat Bad People in Seattle lately.  Especially woodcarvers.

2. I do hope that they are "just across the state line" on the other side of the bridge, like in a 1970s movie, and the legislators do some kind of little hokey pokey dance and tell them "you are out of your jurisdiction".

oooh.  and during the night the cops re-draw the line 100 feet north.  so while the dumb legislators think they are 50 feet south of the line... gotcha!

that is awesome.  right out of foghorn leghorn's book!

Why can I not stop reading this thread?!  I'm Canadian, fachrissakes.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Why can I not stop reading this thread?!  I'm Canadian, fachrissakes.

Are your legislators hiding out in Wisconsin?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

What I read was that if they are within the state, then the WI state patrol has the authority to round them up and bring them to the state house for a vote.  But maybe they just need to be in the state for a vote to happen?

Strange stuff indeed.

Another reason for Wi State PAtrol to be EXEMPT from the bills legal ease.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Are your legislators hiding out in Wisconsin?

I certainly can't rule it out.  I been in Newfoundland for 6 months, and I haven't seen evidence of government of any sort. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That I understand.  What I did not understand was the rules regarding when people count and when they don't.  Didn't know if you were inside the sign (but eating cheese far far away from Madison) you counted.  Now I do.

I like cheese.  I am well outside the fray.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I certainly can't rule it out.  I been in Newfoundland for 6 months, and I haven't seen evidence of government of any sort. 

Quit bragging.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

As for the Governement Worker making more then Private workers, I have story for you.

A few years back, maybe 5-6 years I'm not sure they all seem to blend together for me these days, our state governement was having a difficult time keeping qualified public health nurses on the payroll. What was happening is the nurses were filling government positions and gaining experience, then taking their experience and moving onto private hospitals to work for much more money.

The problem for the governemntal units was that they ended up spending a lot on money in training and licensures on these workers who would fly the coop when the licensures were obtained.

The state and other local units of governemnt were losing lots of money on these people and had to raise the wage standards for nurses statewide to compete for these workers. As a result of that, the local units of government also had to adjust the pay scales of other workers that were at or above the pay grades of the nurses that had to change to keep them. I was fortunate enough to be at the same grade as the nurses and got a bump in pay right along with them.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

On the topic of the schools being closed in WI and nobody doing anything about it, the GOV is probably looking at from a finacncial perspective. If the kids are not in school, then those districts are not getting the satate aid funds for the day for that child. That could rack up to hundreds of thousands of dollars that are being saved each day. Thats a great way to help balance the State budget on the backs of the local government.

Much like our own Gove. Tim Palenty did in MN. He withheld quarterly payments to school districts (called unalottment) to help show a balancing of the budget (for his national political interests) while forcing local schools districts to take out loans to cover the funds that were supposed to be delivered by the state aid system. Nice. Wait until he is running for President and does that at the National level and leaves all the States holding an empty bag.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Where do your friends work, 'cause I'm in the private sector and could count on two fingers the amount of raises I have received in the last 10 years,  As far as your comment about the definition of  government being wasteful, um, no.  It's people that are wasteful.  The concept of government here in our country is good, i think.  People eff it up.  The wrong people in the wrong places, that is.

I don't know where you live, but where I live we have historically had low unemployment rates and starting wages have been higher than minimum.  Currently, sitting at about 6.2% in our city and most of the jobs are in healthcare, insurance, and education (both public and private schhools).  Can you give an example of a government that isn't wasteful?  Our government has taken over many functions of our society that could be done more efficiently in the private sector.  No matter who we vote into office, nothing ever changes for the better.  Rather they just keep wanting more and more control over our lives.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

Actual post by a teacher "friend" on Facebook:

Now, you need to pass a test based on his beliefs to have children.  I'm sure that a lot of parents don't take active roles in their kids' education, but I'm also sure that isn't the only reason public schools are failing.

I bet it is the #1 reason.  If the parents don't care, nothing will change.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

http://maciverinstitute.com/2011/02/union-negotiated-work-rules-for-public-employees-cost-taxpayers-dearly/

and for purposes of presenting balance, here is an article written by my cousin.  I'm not saying either side is 100% right.  And I'll probably disagree with Brian on this plenty.  But, at least anyone interested in this has a little more information than you'll get out of a 30 second spot on the news. 

Prince of Fatness

Can you give an example of a government that isn't wasteful?

No.

Not at it at all. 

As for the Governement Worker making more then Private workers, I have story for you.

A few years back, maybe 5-6 years I'm not sure they all seem to blend together for me these days, our state governement was having a difficult time keeping qualified public health nurses on the payroll. What was happening is the nurses were filling government positions and gaining experience, then taking their experience and moving onto private hospitals to work for much more money.

The problem for the governemntal units was that they ended up spending a lot on money in training and licensures on these workers who would fly the coop when the licensures were obtained.

The state and other local units of governemnt were losing lots of money on these people and had to raise the wage standards for nurses statewide to compete for these workers. As a result of that, the local units of government also had to adjust the pay scales of other workers that were at or above the pay grades of the nurses that had to change to keep them. I was fortunate enough to be at the same grade as the nurses and got a bump in pay right along with them.

The sad thing about the public university where I work is they have to keep raising the pay ranges to attract people to certain jobs.  The problem is that workers already in those positions often make less than a new hire.  Sometimes they are offered a raise if they have another job offer.  I was offered a job in the private sector that paid $10K more about 14 years ago.  I chose not to take it due to the commute and the benefits were not quite as good. 

We recently had IBM relocate to our city and that forced the university to adjust some of their pay ranges and actually give some people raises (even though we have been under a freeze for 3 years) or risk losing their employees.

I truly don't understand why public employees should have collective bargaining rights.  In WI, it seems like they could come to some sort of compromise where the employees will gradually pay more of their benefits.  There are other areas the government can cut and it doesn't need to be on the backs of these employees all at once.  Phase in the contributions and if they don't like it, they can start looking in another state for a job.