What Percentage of Your Runs Hurt? (Read 280 times)

AceHarris

This question will unlikely have any applicability for me, and it’s a tough question to qualify, but I’m curious nonetheless.

What percentage of your weekly training runs do you have pain of some sort? 

(feel free to include you age and average weekly

mileage!)

When I say pain, I mean: body discomfort other than the “pain” that comes from pushing yourself. The type I’m talking about would include things like calf pain, hamstring pain, back soreness, etc.

I run 5-6 days a week on average and would say I “hurt” 3-4. I just assume this is normal, but maybe I’m falling apart. I average ~45 MPW and am 32 y/o

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Stiffness sometimes, but pain is something I don't have unless it's the temporary pushing myself type. If I was pushing through pain (and not just discomfort), I think I'd wonder if I was starting to get injured. (I run 7 days a week, currently in the high 20s mpw.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Seattle prattle

60 y.o., run 6 dyas per week, about 50 mpw, and work out at the gym about 4 days/week, which just about always includes a good dose of dynamic stretching.

I usually am mildly sore, but not suffering from some part hurting. If pressed, there's probably some part of me that's tight or a bit achy at any given time, but what do you expect? I have little aches, i guess, but they don't even register. I just take that for granted.

I also do dynamic stretching and drills most days in addition to the gym stuff, just to keep everything clicking. I bet i would be a real basket case if i didn't. Honestly, i put a lot of time and energy into establishing the conditioning necessary to run at this level.

papopp

100% of them hurt.

Age 55. Typically run 3 days /week---but go back and forth between every other day and 3 days a week .

NEVER 2 days in a row.

Bike or swim on days with no run.---swimming or biking never hurts.

Hmmmmmm why don't I just swim and bike?

Christirei

I take an off day from running and from the gym on Sundays, so my Monday morning run I normally feel pretty darn good. The rest of the week i double up running in the morning and gym in the afternoon, so I pretty much am sore somewhere every other day of the week...but not to say i'm in pain, my muscles are just talking to me

pretty much zero percent of the runs hurt these days, other than the first mile or two where my ankle (AT) lets me know about its existence, its an annoyance and I know it will go away once warmed up.  Used to have real pain with  piriformis and later with hip flexors on pretty much every run.  Suffered from some nerve pain for a couple of years as well, but that pain was after the run, not during.  Resolved after I took up stretching and a secondary activity at least twice a week.  I now make a point to play tennis, bike or low/body weight strength training on my days off from running.

GinnyinPA

Age 61, currently marathon training on 5 days a week. I have chronic hamstring issues, so I am usually tight and a bit achy at the end of longer hillier runs, but it isn't usually painful. I get odd random pains on my runs sometimes - ankle, foot, knee - but they usually only last a minute or two.  At the end of my longest runs I'm achy, but not in pain. I hobble around the house on stiff legs, but there is no real pain. I'll take Advil to sleep, but don't usually need it immediately after a run.

running metalhead

In my case it depends. Normally trail runs hurt more, depending on how active Mr. Murphy and Mr. Newton are... my last trail hurt a lot as I landed head first in the mud. It was fortunately soft enough to save me from breaking something... Ah, and it "repaired" an arm that was hurting for some months! So, despite the pain it was positive!

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                  - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                  - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                  - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                  - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                  - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

62   25-35 mpw  4-6 days/week.   gym usually 2 days/week but would prefer 3 days if schedule would allow.

very few of my runs "hurt"    but always some sort of ache or discomfort.  if its real pain then I will take it more easy or day off.  at this point I can & do work through any discomfort but not push it if pain is involved.  takes 20-30 mns for me to feel comfortable & smooth, especially breathing. Usually while working through things for that 1st 20-30 mns I have aches/discomfort in different areas that come & go, so just work through them & I'm good to go after that.  If any of those linger on then I will take notice & adjust whatever I need to.   recently have taken up indoor rock climbing which adds a new dimension of stress.

paul2432

None of my runs hurt.  I run every day with a day off every few weeks or to taper for a race.  49 year old man, running about 60 MPW (3200 miles in 2017).

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Either zero or 100%, depending on how you define 'hurt'.  Right now my back hurts, and I'm just sitting at my desk.  It isn't going to feel any better or worse when I'm running in another three hours.

Aches are normal.  Pain isn't, and is a sign that you need to back off.

kilkee

runktrun

What percentage of your weekly training runs do you have pain of some sort? 

When I say pain, I mean: body discomfort other than the “pain” that comes from pushing yourself. The type I’m talking about would include things like calf pain, hamstring pain, back soreness, etc.

Over the course of a year, I'd say 1%-5% of my runs hurt beyond the discomfort of a hard effort.  But that small percentage that hurt in a bad, injured way are usually clustered together at a point in time when I'm flirting with injury.  Then I change my training, add PT, add strength, etc to stop the hurt.

I don't continue to train when it hurts because I can't improve and compete with an injury.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Dreamn

None of my runs hurt and I'm only sore after a race.  I'm only running about 45 mpw right now but even when I was running high 60s, I didn't have any pain.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Close to 100% mild heel pain, but it's about a 1 or 2 on a scale of 10. I know it's there but it's tolerable and when I'm focused on running the workout I'm barely aware of it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

30% hamstring

10% calf and/or achilles

5% IT band

3% insertional achilles

50% my feelings

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours