Laredo, TX runners (Read 391 times)

gabriellep

Anybody here from Laredo? I'm laid over for a couple of days and would like to find an area that would be safe for a female runner to get in 4-7 miles. Also needs to accessible by a bobtail truck--or at least within a reasonable walking distance of said truck. Normally when I'm here I would postpone my run until I was in a safer area but I have a 5 day running schedule this week with a half marathon in 3 weeks, so really no wiggle room this week. Thanks! gabrielle www.gabsatrucker.blogspot.com
      Not from Laredo... but if I was there I would run in a visible area or a local park. I thought they'd have stuff here http://www.cityoflaredo.com/, but that doesn't look like a good site.

Vim

This site as a list of the parks. http://www.cityoflaredo.com/PARKS/html/home.htm Parks Blas Castaneda Park .25 Miles of Trail Las Palmas Park Trail .57 Miles of Trail

Vim

I went to Laredo on a business trip last year, & couldn't find any reasonable places to run. So I settled for the treadmill in the hotel (La Posada) which wasn't reallly all that bad. The hotel is right on the Rio Grande, and the fitness room looks out on the two bridges. It was fascinating to watch the thousands of pedestrians walking across the bridge. The treadmill may not be great for your long runs, but I didn't discover any large parks, bikepaths, etc. There just seemed to be a lot of auto traffic headed to & from Mexico, and the Kansas City Southern railway goes right through downtown with a lot of railroad crossings. So IMHO, Laredo is not much of a city for runners.
          gabriellep

Thanks modal and concorde orphan for the replies. I had already found the city website but Laredo has more than its fair share of crime so I was just wondering if there was anyone familiar with the area that could point out the safer parks/trails. I ended up doing loops near the Target and Wal-Mart off of loop 20 on the sidewalks and a few grassy areas but that is definitely not ideal. Had to do several loops to get in 4 miles. My legs are feeling the abuse of all the concrete right now. Thanks again for the very quick replies, I wasn't sure I would get any response at all. gabrielle www.gabsatrucker.blogspot.com Oh yeah, the Waco trail run looks very intriguing!!