Experienced runner feeling exhausted, sluggish, having to take breaks -- why? (Read 684 times)

Ngineered

spam
    AMKinCO

I am a doctor, please go see your doctor.

A resting HR of 112 is way too high.  Hopefully it is nothing but the big bad things can be ruled out with some pretty basic blood tests, EKG, physical exam and a history.  I agree with seeing a doctor who also runs (a lot of us do), they will understand why this is unusual and won't blow you off.

A

Hedgehog25

Well, unfortunately, for the last week, I have been feeling exhausted during my running again and having to take breaks. I am going to a doctor's office next week for a blood test, but in the meantime, what do you guys think is going on (if it's not a heart problem)? AMKinCO, since you are a doctor, what do you think is going on? Thyroid issues?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I think no doctor will make a diagnosis over the internet, even if you describe your symptoms to the T. Just their way of making sure the diagnosis is right.

It could be a lot of things, I would definitely also have an EKG taken to look at the heart's electrical activity, and have a general physical exam, including the most important lymph nodes, etc. Blood work is great, but it cannot explain everything.

Please go see a doctor, rather sooner than later. The longer you run with this "condition", the more likely it is that it could cause permanent damage.

Run for fun.

Hedgehog25

Statements like the one above regarding me causing permanent damage are what freaks me out about going to a doctor (even though I'm going). I will be totally devastated if it ends up being some neurodegenerative disease. So aside from degenerative/heart disorders, what else could it be? Just out of curiosity...

King of PhotoShop

I can't believe this thread is still going on.  You have to go to the &%$#@ doctor!  Just go to the doctor!  Spareribs

what else could it be? .

Anxiety can cause high HR, which, if left untreated, can cause chronic avoidance behaviors, such as refusing to visit a doctor.

xor

Statements like the one above regarding me causing permanent damage are what freaks me out about going to a doctor (even though I'm going). I will be totally devastated if it ends up being some neurodegenerative disease.

This bit of silliness (not going to the doctor for something obviously wrong because you don't want to hear the "bad news") is very very very very common.  So we/yall shouldn't be too judgy about it.

Good that you made an appointment.  Hope everything works out.  Could be something minor, could be something more.  If it IS something "more", you need to catch it asap and not let it linger.  Because those kinds of things don't get better through linger-ation.  The opposite.

Hey yall, don't avoid your colonoscopies, mammograms, prostate exams, blood work, etc etc etc etc.

Sometimes a cold is a cold, but a manwich is a meal.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yeah, last year I had a colonoscopy 11 days after my 50th birthday.  NO family history of colon cancer or any other kind of cancer.  But the doctor found a large polyp.  It turned out to be benign, but it was the kind that could have easily grown into a cancerous tumor.  I think that procedure may have saved my life.

Hedgehog25

Update time...

I went to the doctor earlier today and told him about my symptoms, and he listened to my heart and commented (as my nursing instructor did) that it felt like it was pounding very hard, almost as if it was trying to blast its way out of my ribcage. He said he didn't hear any murmurs, although he said that could have been because my HR was so high. Based on my symptoms, he thinks I either have mitral valve prolapse or a thyroid issue. I'm hoping it's some sort of thyroid hormone imbalance, because if it's mitral valve prolapse, the fact that I am already symptomatic (despite being only 25) means that I will need valve repair/replacement surgery soon. I was referred to a cardiologist to have an ECG/stress test conducted next Tuesday.

In the meantime.... does anyone here have mitral valve prolapse? Is it causing you to feel fatigued during your running?

Dream Maker

Update time...

I went to the doctor earlier today and told him about my symptoms, and he listened to my heart and commented (as my nursing instructor did) that it felt like it was pounding very hard, almost as if it was trying to blast its way out of my ribcage. He said he didn't hear any murmurs, although he said that could have been because my HR was so high. Based on my symptoms, he thinks I either have mitral valve prolapse or a thyroid issue. I'm hoping it's some sort of thyroid hormone imbalance, because if it's mitral valve prolapse, the fact that I am already symptomatic (despite being only 25) means that I will need valve repair/replacement surgery soon. I was referred to a cardiologist to have an ECG/stress test conducted next Tuesday.

In the meantime.... does anyone here have mitral valve prolapse? Is it causing you to feel fatigued during your running?

Try not to freak out or think about it much until Tuesday. There's no point until you have more information..

I can tell you hyperthyroidism can cause those symptoms for running and fatigue.

Hedgehog25

Try not to freak out or think about it much until Tuesday. There's no point until you have more information..

I can tell you hyperthyroidism can cause those symptoms for running and fatigue.

Hyperthyroidism is exactly what I'm hoping it is, especially since I'm not having issues with being out of breath. But if it is MVP, I'm just going to keep hauling ass at the park because I would rather have to get it replaced earlier rather than sit around and get fat.

YAYpril - B-Plus

My husband was born with a bicuspid aortic valve and had to have it replaced at 29 years old. He got a mechanical valve (which is pretty cool - you can hear it "ticking" in his chest). I don't have any experience with the mitral valve, but his symptoms included general malaise and his heart would skip a beat (and then have a really strong "bump" beat) during strenuous exercise. He said it was very uncomfortable.

He's not a runner and never will be, but he's active and it's been almost 4 years since his surgery. He's perfectly fine. He had to have open-heart surgery because his aorta was aneurysmal and had to have part of that replaced too, but I think some valve replacements can be done non-invasively nowadays.

Hedgehog25

New update -- I went to the cardiologist yesterday and they did an EKG (looked normal). The insurance wants me to do the ECG separately so I'm going in next week for that. They also drew blood, and I got a call this morning saying that my TSH is below 0.06 (normal range is 0.4 or 0.5 to 4.0). They're still waiting on the other values to be tested.

So it looks like I might have hyperthyroidism. Next stop is back to the family doc's office and to wait for the blood analysis to finish...

Glad to see the diagnosis is nearly complete. I hope the treatment goes well for you.

New update -- I went to the cardiologist yesterday and they did an EKG (looked normal). The insurance wants me to do the ECG separately so I'm going in next week for that. They also drew blood, and I got a call this morning saying that my TSH is below 0.06 (normal range is 0.4 or 0.5 to 4.0). They're still waiting on the other values to be tested.

So it looks like I might have hyperthyroidism. Next stop is back to the family doc's office and to wait for the blood analysis to finish...