Suggested Change to Facebook App (Read 142 times)

Mostly harmless

I have the FB app installed.  When I enter a new workout it gets posted to my wall automatically.  The title of every post is the same "logged a Run entry".  I think it would be nice if that were replaced by any (publicly viewable) notes that you made on the workout. The "logged a Run entry" would only be displayed as a default if you didn't make any notes or if you set the notes to private.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Docket_Rocket

I have the FB app installed.  When I enter a new workout it gets posted to my wall automatically.  The title of every post is the same "logged a Run entry".  I think it would be nice if that were replaced by any (publicly viewable) notes that you made on the workout. The "logged a Run entry" would only be displayed as a default if you didn't make any notes or if you set the notes to private.

I have never been able to make this work even though my Settings are right.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

TigerEyess

I have never been able to make this work even though my Settings are right.

Me too. Sad

Feeling the growl again

It is set up to post the first so many characters of your public notes on your facebook wall with the run.  Eric has described the issue; facebook makes changes so rapidly that he couldn't keep the app up-to-date.

Currently, it IS posting my notes.  But not always.  I think it depends on facebook's mood and whether it wants to play nice that day.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

eric :)

The FB app needs a major overhaul, probably a complete rewrite, because FB has made many changes, many of which are not backwards compatible.  I am tied up with a big project on RA right now, which is why I've been quiet lately.  I don't have any more spare cycles to work on the FB app on the side so it'll be pushed back once again.

I remember FB programming was very frustrating.  Even when I got all my code working properly, it still depended on how the FB servers are behaving on any given day, as Spaniel pointed out.  The problem lies with FB's hacker culture, of getting things done quick.  In contrast, working with Google's code is a breeze.  Things work as promised every single time.

Mostly harmless

It is set up to post the first so many characters of your public notes on your facebook wall with the run.  Eric has described the issue; facebook makes changes so rapidly that he couldn't keep the app up-to-date.

Currently, it IS posting my notes.  But not always.  I think it depends on facebook's mood and whether it wants to play nice that day.

It does indeed show the first xx number of characters of the note but they kind of get lost in the details.  What I was suggesting is the note could be included or replace where it currently says "logged a Run entry"...

but since Eric is too busy with other projects then maybe something like this can be implemented if he ever feels like overhauling the FB app.

Thanks for your awesome website Eric!  I spend more time here than I care to admit. Smile

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi