Two a days (Read 217 times)

Ok,

I am doing two runs a day now to get more miles and to "run on tired legs".  I was wondering if anyone has experience doing this.  Any recovery tips for in between the same day runs, or special after run recoveries that involve specific two a day exercise.  Also do you have a preference for which run to do first, a short hard run, then a long slow after, or vice versa, two medium runs?  This is for my 4th marathon, I am still about 3 months or so off from race day.  Any information or stories would be helpful. Thanks everyone!!!

Wolf

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Julia1971

I don't do anything differently except make sure I don't eat anything that might upset my stomach between runs.  I'm doing 6 easy in the morning and 4 easy in the evening.  In previous training cycles, I've done the second run on Sunday early evening (5pm-ish).  This is the first training cycle when I'm doing my doubles on weekdays after work (Mondays and Fridays).  I'm finding that the second run (7:30-7:45ish) is keeping me up too late.  Even though mentally I know I'm tired, it's taking me until 11 or midnight to feel sleepy.  (It's so bad I found myself watching Beneath The Planet of the Apes late on Monday night.  That has to be one of the worst movies EVER).  Not good when I have to wake up at 6am for the next day's workout and work.  Next cycle, if I double, I'll do one on the weekend.

Feeling the growl again

Get lots of sleep.  Space the runs as widely as possible.  Right now if I double it's typically at lunch and then again right when I get home --4-5 hours apart -- not ideal.

I prefer to do all real workouts in the PM as my body takes time to wake up.  YMMV.  I prefer to double on workout days, a nice easy run in the AM then the workout in the PM.  Too many doubles on "easy" days can inhibit recovery if you are not diligent about keeping the pace slow enough.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I'm a better runner in the morning.  When I do a day with two runs, my main run that is the fastest and or farthest will be the morning run.  Then whatever I do in the afternoon will be slow and easy.  I figure the point of the afternoon run is to learn to run on tired legs.  And tired legs just need to move, not to do speedwork or major hills.  But I'm not race training, so my theory might not make sense for serious runners.

Leah, mother of dogs

HermosaBoy

I prefer to do all real workouts in the PM as my body takes time to wake up.  YMMV.  I prefer to double on workout days, a nice easy run in the AM then the workout in the PM.  Too many doubles on "easy" days can inhibit recovery if you are not diligent about keeping the pace slow enough.

This...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

L Train

I like the hard run early, but I also eat my vegetables first at dinner.

jfa

I'm hard in the morning, easy in the evening.

xhristopher

I'm hard in the morning, easy in the evening.

TMI

xhristopher

I've been running a bunch of doubles this summer, usually with the goal of double digit days. Often one run will be quicker or slower than the other but that really depends on my schedule or how hungover I am.

One thing I'd recommend is not to just jump into it full blast. Start with one of the runs 2-3 easy miles and the other being a regular weekday run until that feels normal then build intelligently like you would mileage or long runs.

Doubles are quite rare for me (though I ironically did one yesterday), however, whenever I do them I ALWAYS make the 2nd run of the day a slow easy run.

Mmmmm...beer

I've been doing a lot of doubles lately to bump my mileage up. Like spaniel said, I definitely notice if I run them too close together.  I've been doing them all easy, usually 7-8 miles for both runs.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Beginner runners often make a lot of stereotypical mistakes, and doing doubles lays some similar traps.

Beginners often get injured because they're stressing their bodies more than that for which they're prepared, and not easing into the stresses enough, or out of them.

Just like with your auto engine, stopping and starting are your greatest stresses, and the points most likely to incur engine and system failures.

Experienced runners warn-up and cooldown to reduce the stresses of these transitions.

Doubling can double the jagged transition stresses, so you must be more careful about managing your transitions.

A good rule of thunb, to minimize the stress and damage likelihood, is to warmup for at least half the time period of your main workout run, and warmdown for an equal period to your main workout run. You can see that this is where doubling is likely to interfere with healthy transition planning.

If you are a higher mileage runner, like X, and you have a good 15 mile workout planning, that's going to take you a good 90 minutes. For healthy transitions using the above rules of thumb, you want a 45 minute warmup, and a 90 minute warmdown. Now you've invested 225 minutes for your run. Trying to double that, is clearly likely to cost you more time than you're willing to invest, unless you're really committed to healthy transitions. So you'll be tempted to skimp on the transitions, putting your engine back into high risk exposure.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

some call me Tim

I guess it depends upon what you're looking to get out of it, but to run on tired legs (which I interpret as running some kind of quality, even if just goal pace) I prefer to run easy first and get down to business later on. You want to work just a little first and then put in a good effort later, not practice stressing the system early and then dogging it later on(!) Lately I've been getting in some shorter barefoot runs on easy double days, and in that case I usually put them second because if anything they loosen me up.

mikeymike

I dunno, if you're running doubles, you are basically always running on tired legs when you're in the thick of trainign. To me an easy 5 or 6 miles in the morning has the opposite effect of making my legs more tired if I'm doing a workout that evening--it gives me 12 more hours to recover from my last hard workout.

I rarely double anymore but when I do it's often on Thursdays. I tend to make Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday my quality days. I'll very often do a gnarly 12+ mile hill workout on Tuesday morning then some cruise intervals on Thursday. I usually try to do the Thursday workout in the evening if my schedule allows and on those days I'll often run an easy 6 in the morning. If I have to do my Thursday workout in the morning, I know I'll just be that much less recovered and it will not be as high a quality workout (sometimes this is a good thing.)

And sometimes its just a matter of a bird in the hand--I know that evening runs are much more likely to get befriggered by real life, so if there's a question, I'll sometimes just do my bigger workout in the morning to get r done. Regardless of what's "ideal" unless you're a professional runner you're probably trying to fit your running into the margins of a life worth living, in which case doing what's possible or practical makes more sense than what's ideal from a purely training perspective.

Runners run

The Pocatello Kid.

I'm not as experienced as other runners who have commented but I've done a fair share of doubles, and in my mind doubles have very little to do with teaching yourself to run on tired legs. If I run doubles at least 1 of the runs on the day is very easy and not focused on pace whatsover. Doubles help to aid recovery from my standpoint.

So if I do a hard track session in the morning, then, I will go for an easy 5 mile run later in the day to get the blood flowing and get rid of the stiffness. For that reason, my second run of the day is usually the easy one. I like to be as fresh as possible for my workouts so there is no excuse. On that second run I don't push through anything at all, so if I need to slow it down or need to cut it short, then fine. I tend to find that second double  will make me feel more fresh the following day.

we're all different, but that's how I've seen it.

With that said, Doubles are the worst lifestyle choice you can make. I've spent my current training cycle trying to increase single day mileage and decreasing doubles.