Block User feature in forums (Read 1139 times)

Insert witty title here

I was hoping on a forum such as this there would be no need for a way to block individual users, but apparently there is. I'm sure some would love to block my very passionate political opinions too Wink, but the main reason I bring this up is for the trolls who have nothing better to do than post replies that have nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

ThomasRuns Blog
    Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

You know javascript?

Vim

Insert witty title here

You know javascript?
        Very little

ThomasRuns Blog
        Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

the main reason I bring this up is for the trolls who have nothing better to do than post replies that have nothing to do with the topic being discussed.
          If I invite you to join Left Wingnuts, will all be forgiven? Wink

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Insert witty title here

If I invite you to join Left Wingnuts, will all be forgiven? Wink
            lol, yes but only because of that DVD cover. I still don't understand why people (not you) who don't want to discuss politics click on a topic about politics.. but apparently I'm the only one here who feels that way Confused

ThomasRuns Blog
            Twitter

Lazy idiot

lol, yes but only because of that DVD cover. I still don't understand why people (not you) who don't want to discuss politics click on a topic about politics.. but apparently I'm the only one here who feels that way Confused
              I see your point, Thomas. For many, myself included, it's like rubbernecking at a horrific traffic accident. I don't want to see gore, but I can't help but look. And that stuff (politics in general) is so potentially inflammatory that many cannot help themselves and jump in head first. Big grin

Tick tock

eric :)

TNthomas, I agree with Jeff/Globule on this one. I've seen flame wars breaking out on other forum boards because the discussions got too heated with political or religious topics. The end result is everyone is mad at everyone else. So far, RA has be relatively free of that and I want to keep it that way. While the Off the Beaten Path serves as a catch all for all discussions, it's not really meant for anything substantial. Jeff simply want to break up the intensifying political discussion and redirect it to a group. I will need to consider this ignore button feature both in terms of how it will impact the users (I wish runchicrun is still here...) and how the additional complexity will affect server performance. Adding a check box is not as easy as you think Wink eric :-)

Insert witty title here

My request was based on just ignoring people who off topic trying to purposely disrupt a conversation they don't care about, not ignoring those I disagree with. But I see your point too and I don't want everybody mad at everybody else. Maybe instead of posting random quotes in broken English, the new tradition could be to clearly state "there are groups for that level of craziness/passion". As for the check box I am a programmer by trade so whether it's on a website or in an application I am fully aware that adding a check box is not always an easy task Big grin

ThomasRuns Blog
                  Twitter

Wingz

Professional Noob

Oh, I'm sure adding the checkbox itself is easy... It's making it actually DO SOMETHING that's hard. Clowning around See? Now don't you wish you could check that box next to my name... Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Maybe instead of posting random quotes in broken English, the new tradition could be to clearly state "there are groups for that level of craziness/passion".
                      Well if it helps any, they weren't random quotes in broken English, they were from the opening credits of Monty Pythons Holy Grail. So they were random quotes in fake broken Swedish. Sorry, silly is how I roll. And for the record, I came into that thread fairly early on (page 4/12) and I did mention the use of groups.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You'll ruin your knees!

Sorry, silly is how I Troll.
                        Fixed!Wink Thomas, glad you're here. I hate to think this is the kind of forum where I need to ignore someone. I would not find such a forum useful... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)