Training plans: Easy runs? (Read 3296 times)

I love this attitude.

Looking at your log, you have more mileage and better training than I had when I ran 3:23.  I know everyone is different, but you should be feeling pretty confident.

+1

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Virginia Beach Marathon 2012: 3:32:11 (317th/3300).

Started in corral 1.  Just ahead of me was the 3:25 pace-group.  Behind me was the 3:35 pace-group.  My goal in the corral was to stay between the two -- though I was really hoping for a 3:30 pace-group, which didn't exist.  My buddy wished me luck and told his GF they'd probably find my body in the field around mile 20 because of the pace-group I was eyeing [maybe I should have listened].

The gun popped and I, and the pace-group at a nice 7:42 first mile.  Traffic wasn't too bad.  Though, later one of the pace-groupers decided it was NASCAR and darted in and out of the pack almost tripping a few people -- he also had headphones on which made it extra special.  The pace was fast for me.  The original plan was 7:55s until the half, then bring it down to 7:45 if I could.  And while I kept the 3:25 in sight the gusts of wind off the ocean seemed to give me a choice: 7:45s with the 3:25 pack as my windshield, or 7:55 taking the wind head-on.  I figured they were a wash, so I stuck with the group -- or rather, I stuck at the back of the group, or 15meters behind.  If you look at my splits you'll notice I'm not that consistent.  Some was lagging behind the group, then catching up for the wind.  Some was, I believe variation in the group.  Around mile 13 the group seemed to burst ahead after a gel-stop.  I wasn't the only one that noticed as a few of the runners wondered aloud what was going on.  In error, I tried to stay "in contact" with the group turning in three sub 7:40s.  At the time it felt do-able, and I was planning on 7:45 after the half anyway, so figured what the harm.

Once we got out of the city everything thinned out.  I had the 3:25 in sight, but I was about 40m back.  The NASCAR driver was with me -- he'd picked up a few beers on the route just to affirm his cultural proclivities.  Fortunately, there wasn't any traffic to swerve around except me, who he decided to cut off for no particular reason in open road.  My only real regret is that I'm pretty sure he bested me.

I was trucking until mile 21.  Just before that are a string of sub-8:00s from 17-20 that indicate something's up.  But at 21 I hit a very bad gel/water-stop.  Not sure what happened, but when I  passed it I felt like crap and I totally lost all contact with the 3:25s.  Had I hit the wall almost as if on schedule?  Mile 22 I just had to stop to walk for 20seconds, then picked up a jog.  9:31 is that split.  Though this part of the race we'd hit an open field with a road through it.  The sun had come out and the temp was around 66F but felt warmer without any breeze.  From here to 24 I was wishing for a water-stop.  After 22 I felt good again and hit my stride at 8:18.  Felt like I could easily keep it up.  People ahead of me were turning off the road with injuries and failures of will.  I kept trying to keep my mind in check with bad-math, fooling myself how much there was left to go.

24-25 were bad miles.  Yes, I felt like quitting.  I was also doing some bad math, figuring that if I was only five minutes behind the 3:25s it meant I could put on an extra minute of pace and still clock in at 3:30.  Not really sure where this math went wrong -- other than not really being 5-mins behind them.  24Sad9:13), 25Sad9:10).  I was beat and while I knew I'd finish, I wasn't sure what condition I'd be in.  The early 7:45s were now taking their toll.

All down 24 and 25 I was chasing this squat 5' guy who started with the 3:25s.  He was built like a spark-plug.  His form was so odd -- almost speed-walking -- no lift at all in hi step.  He looked like the most unlikely of runners.  Yet there he was in front of me.  I passed him around the tail of 25 and he took it back in 26.

26 was miserable.  I mis-judged where the finish was.  I thought it was on the main-drag, not a detour to the boardwalk.  After the detour I could see the finish line ahead and it looked incredibly far away.  I struggled to pick up the pace (8:37), but there wasn't really anything left in the bucket.  Even the 0.22 miles were mentally exhausting.  And once I could see the clock turn past 3:30 my heart sunk a little.

3:32:11 I stepped across the line.  I had nothing left.  I missed my sub-3:30 goal, but I hit my more important goal: I found my limit.  I know I made some bad choices in the race -- I did so with intent, and thought the I was making a good choice, or an even choice while understanding the down-sides.  I should have probably let the 3:25s go, and sacrificed my wind-shield. Should have kept to my 7:55 pace -- that should have put me 3:27 assuming the wall at 21 wouldn't have gotten me then (not sure sure about that).

I'm really pleased with my results.  Yes, I would have liked to take back 2mins and 12 seconds, but I really could not have run that any faster -- at least the way I did.  I left nothing on the table.  The tank read E and I found my limit.  Inside the chute I could barely process anything.  I had become incredibly dumb.   Fortunately, the wonderful volunteers and Mrs. Stadjak were there to guild my imbecilic mind. 

The race itself was very well organized, in my inexperienced opinion.  Volunteers at the dry-bag drop-off said, "have a good race" and at the pickup they saw my number pass through the chute and pre-fetched my bag.  Water stops were well attended.

Around mile 6 or 7 there was a water stop that almost turned into tragedy: the stop was set up but only 2 people attending.  A lot of the runners, including myself just grabbed off the table.  It was working pretty well until a woman with stroller and baby in hand (ostensibly cheering) at the immediate end of the last table had a toddler walk out a few feet into the road.  This combined with everyone's shift to that side for water, and the confusion at the water-stand caused a lot of runners (including me) to execute drastic evasive maneuvers.  The mother threw her arms around her face al-la Munch, cursing at runners as well.  I'm not sure how the tike didn't get trampled.

Thanks everyone on the forum for being so supportive and offering great advice.  This wouldn't be a wonderful success without you.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

vegefrog

Virginia Beach Marathon 2012: 3:32:11 (317th/3300).

I'm really pleased with my results.  Yes, I would have liked to take back 2mins and 12 seconds, but I really could not have run that any faster -- at least the way I did.  I left nothing on the table.  The tank read E and I found my limit.  Inside the chute I could barely process anything.  I had become incredibly dumb.  

I think you are very brave. I have yet to find the courage to push myself to that sort of limit.. You should be proud and it's great that you are pleased with your effort. You can get that 3:30 next time, and with the lessons learned maybe it will even feel good Smile

Hey! You beat my marathon time by 2 hours!! Smile

I think you are very brave. I have yet to find the courage to push myself to that sort of limit.. You should be proud and it's great that you are pleased with your effort. You can get that 3:30 next time, and with the lessons learned maybe it will even feel good Smile

+1.  And supererogatory!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Congrats. Outstanding, particularly for a first marathon. 

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

Thank you for the write up.  I haven't run a marathon yet so I am very interested in first marathon reports.

Did you just start training for this in 2011?

Bill Wagnon / stl

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Thank you for the write up.  I haven't run a marathon yet so I am very interested in first marathon reports.

Did you just start training for this in 2011?

Yes, I started Sept 15th or so.  As mentioned elsewhere, I couldn't do 3mi w/o walking when I started.  Everything is captured in my log.  This whole thread might also be interesting for you to read: you might learn from my errors.

As for everyone responding, thanks for the congrats.  What a great experience this was.  It's nice to have my virtual running club cheering me on.

I just read through the whole thread.

You are my model. I want to achieve 3:30 for my first marathon. I have 7 months to train.

Reading your log, I think the plan I pick is not going to get me there. I need to re-plan again. It looks like I have to reach 60 mpw at peak in order to get there.

Also I am a terrible pacer. I probably need a proper running watch as well.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

David,

Looks like you're starting out almost exactly where I was.  Best of luck to you.  The people around here are very very helpful, so be sure to post when you have questions.

Also, be careful: I'm not the best model to follow -- my approach was a bit risky because I really chose to push my limits, so there was always a significant chance I wouldn't finish.

Just remember to do the easy runs EASY, and take your rest days seriously.

Best of luck!